News: Ben DiNucci is getting a lot of praise

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Cowboys need Dak to succeed. And they need a good backup. Here's hoping Rush shows what is needed for that. If not, hopefully DiNucci has it. We won't know till they play.

Right now they haven’t needed a good backup because Dak has been very durable. But you can’t always count on that. Sooner or later who’s ever backing him up is going to have to step in for him in a pinch.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right now they haven’t needed a good backup because Dak has been very durable. But you can’t always count on that. Sooner or later who’s ever backing him up is going to have to step in for him in a pinch.
For sure. That last game with the shoulder problem looked kinda iffy for him. Hope that was a fluke or a convenient outcome to the coaching change. :rolleyes: In any case, we need a dependable backup.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I prob am the only one who is still pulling for Rush. I like saying the name.

As a Rush Is a Band fan...I'm with ya. I would also like to see him get some legitimate real snaps with the A team. There were opportunities to do that last year and the staff refused. Puzzling. No conspiracy...just...puzzling.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I prob am the only one who is still pulling for Rush. I like saying the name.

You're not the only one. On a serious note, a lot of people forget Rush actually improved quite a bit last preseason. I just don't think he has an NFL arm; and if DiNucci is better, so be it.

reddyuta

Reaction score
watch the highlights of the FCs championship game against a clearly better and undefeated Team(Wentz alma mater)

he played well except the last pass,no idea why he threw it there.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Nope.

Dak proved it's better to stick with your own rather than bringing in a sure fire Trash QB.

I'd rather go with the unknown and take my lumps. A bum is a bum. Try something else- anything else.

Well yeah, and I'm saying that Dak retains the starting job. I just think Josh McCown would be a better choice than Rush.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
I knew yall would do the thing that yall are doing with this guy. We have a QB (a good one), this guy will be lucky to start games in the league. We'll see.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
watch the highlights of the FCs championship game against a clearly better and undefeated Team(Wentz alma mater)

He threw it because there was only 8 seconds left. He had to go for it quick in order to get another play. If he pulls it down and looks elsewhere, that will be the last play. Yeah, maybe he should have thrown it away and had another play but he’s a gunslinger and went for it. It was a quick read play and he likely didn’t see the safety. He’s still young and those mistakes can be eliminated with experience.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I’ve watched a few videos of his now, and I’m pretty impressed with his arm talent. He has nice touch and puts the ball where it needs to be.

He’s a raw prospect but has tools to work with.

CapnB

Reaction score
There was a time i would get super stoked over a UDFA only for them to not make it through TC or get cut altogether. My heart cant take any more pet cats getting ran over or sprayed by a skunk or attacked by an angry possum. Or a 300 pound lady sitting on them ... Cant take it i tell ya

Cowboys0988

Reaction score
That explains why they drafted him with a 7th, instead of gambling on an UDFA contract. Athletic. Smart. Accurate. I dig it. Way better than using a 7th on a Project TE that hasn't played football since high school.

Oneiros

Reaction score

I guess with that last pass he threw that the comparison to Romo people are saying is somewhat accurate.

He does in fact remind me of Romo.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I think like most of us, I was puzzled when I heard DiNucci’s name called. I thought they’d go with Gordon if they went QB, but really I thought they’d pick either Benito Jones or Thaddeus Moss.

But I’ve started to read about Mike McCarthy’s new pet project and people are saying some amazing things about him.

If you read one Cowboys’ article today, read this one.

https://www.bluechipscouting.com/ar...d-a-controlled-play-maker-to-back-up-prescott

Start there. That’s about as in-depth an article that you will ever read for a 7th round pick. Here are some highlights.

About his accuracy..

About his decision making and ability to read defenses...

“He’s very accurate” is what McCarthy said.

I’d say so, 70.9% completion percentage (stats) and boy does he put the ball right on the money. Throws well on the run too.

Did I mention that the kid can scramble away from pressure and get first downs? In 2019 he ran for 569 yards and 7 touchdowns (his o-line wasn’t very good so a lot of the time he was running for his life)

I’ll just leave this last tweet here without comment. :)

Dinucci looks good, but he does not look like Romo. Looks more like Aaron Rodgers.

jnday

Reaction score
It’s just how much I don’t like rush. Shows me nothing. But I get it
Rush has not played a down in a regular season game. How can you dislike him when he has never played in a regular season game?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Rush has not played a down in a regular season game. How can you dislike him when he has never played in a regular season game?
Because I see enough of him in preseason. Thank god he’s never played regular season game

Verdict

Reaction score
The Cowboys need Dak to succeed. And they need a good backup. Here's hoping Rush shows what is needed for that. If not, hopefully DiNucci has it. We won't know till they play.

I think you can possibly stick a fork in Rush because he may be done.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you can possibly stick a fork in Rush because he may be done.
Maybe, I would like to see someone step up as a backup who gets it done instead of faltering so badly. He did a better job in preseason last year, but that's the thing against second and third stringers - looks good on tape. How much they succeed is dependent on personal desire, assistance in development, and scheme. No telling how he would have done in a different system. TC will tell us a lot about the whole team under MM and staff. It will be interesting, will it not?

johneric8

Reaction score
Ben has an incredibly strong and quick release throwing motion. His accuracy seems amazing as well.. I'm very interested to see how he looks in camp.
He really reminds me of Aaron Rogers how he moves around in pocket and makes strong downfield throws. This is something I would like to see Dak do more,
it seems he doesn't like moving up in pocket.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ben has an incredibly strong and quick release throwing motion. His accuracy seems amazing as well.. I'm very interested to see how he looks in camp.
He really reminds me of Aaron Rogers how he moves around in pocket and makes strong downfield throws. This is something I would like to see Dak do more,
it seems he doesn't like moving up in pocket.
Sure looks good on tape here. ESPN's tape of him during the draft showed him in a completely unfavorable light - which is poor journalism on their part. :espn:
A scouting report from DiNucci's days at Pitt lists his weaknesses as the opposite of these things, which means he either worked on his mechanics, played in a conservative system at Pitt, or both.