Bengals releasing Andy Dalton

Kaiser

Reaction score
No brainer to sign him. I'm not sure what his price would be, but there's no question, it'd be less than the ridiculous cost of Dak. Production would be just as good, and probably better with the supporting cast available. Then there should be a more money available to sign others (either now or in the future). Trade Dak if you can, if not, oh well.

Dalton has been making about 15MM a year and was scheduled for 17.5 this year. Cooper Rush is signed at 2.1 so I can't imagine Dalton would come in for that but if you added 3 MM to that 2.1 and Dalton would sign for 5, you would have one of the best backups in the league.

SSoup

Reaction score
Imagine actually believing this. I feel bad tbh
All kinds of inner discomfort in these people at the idea of Dak being good and deserving to get paid good money. Just can't handle it so they construct a whole fantasy narrative where he's terrible. Our fans are such an embarrassment as people sometimes.

Kaiser

Reaction score
nope. The Jones family will sign Dak long term and they will cave to whatever he demands. I believe Stephen and Jerry when they say that they will sign him. If they were ok with him playing on the tag they would have actually played more hardball and say it.

If they were going to cave to Dak, wouldn't they have already done it? The negotiations have been going on for almost a year now.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm of the belief that if your starting quarterback goes down.......you could concede the season by putting in a young quarterback and developing him. I'm probably in the minority but I don't believe in bringing in the retreads like the Matt Moore's or Ryan Fitzpatrick's.....or anyone who doesn't have a future here.

kumizi

Reaction score
If the Cowboys thought they were a contender, they would have a legitimate backup QB on the roster.

If Dak has to miss 4 games, there's some hope a guy like Dalton could get you 2-2 during that time and maintain playoff contention. I dont think anyone feels that way about Cooper or Rush or the NUCE.

BigD_95

Reaction score
yes is he is a upper level game manager

Cant remember the last time I saw a game manager throw for 4900 yards - 30 TD's 99.7 QB rating - rush for 277 yards & 3 TD's - Lead the #1 offense in yards & 6th in scoring

GenoT

Reaction score
Cheap insurance when someone won't sign his franchise tag or a new deal. Plus, if you have the rights to him & someone gets desperate for a QB later you can flip him for value.
Lemme know when it happens (I won’t wait up).

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If they were going to cave to Dak, wouldn't they have already done it? The negotiations have been going on for almost a year now.

No because they always waite for the deadline. Hence Jerry's motto "deadlines makes deals". The only ones they don't wait on are the guys that aren't wanting top offers, like extending smith, collins etc. But with zeke, lawrence, and now dak they wait untill the last minute.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Lemme know when it happens (I won’t wait up).
Simply offered reasons why it would make sense, not that he would end up here. You realize that Bridgewater was paid 7.2MM last year & there were 4 QB's who were paid 5.0MM or more. Dalton is way more accomplished than any of them.

Valkyr

Reaction score
DiNucci is not happy; we’re not gonna like it when DiNucci’s not happy.
source.gif

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Lol yeh lots of pressure lol

Yeah, I think it is. I mean, Drew Bledsoe never worried about Tom Brady until Tom got in there and Drew was on his way to Buffalo.

Same with Dan Pastorine and Jim Plunkett. Trent Green was the next Face of the Franchise QB for the Rams until Kurt Warner got his chance and the rest is history. However good or however much you might like a QB, there is always the chance that the next guy can come in and get the job done. That is not what any Starting QB wants to see happen. So yes, it does put pressure on you, as a player. Right now, there is zero pressure on Dak. There is literally nobody on the roaster who can even give us a start, much less win games for us.

shabazz

Reaction score
I'm of the belief that if your starting quarterback goes down.......you could concede the season by putting in a young quarterback and developing him. I'm probably in the minority but I don't believe in bringing in the retreads like the Matt Moore's or Ryan Fitzpatrick's.....or anyone who doesn't have a future here.

It worked out pretty well for the Eagles when Foles came in from the veteran backup position and won a Super Bowl. Bridgewater came in and held serve till Brees came back too

No reason not to have veteran depth at the most important position on the team

conner01

Reaction score
A former starter is gonna want a shot at starting
Once they realize that’s not happening then they look at plan B