Best defenses of all time

Bay10

ehcrossing
Reaction score
Is this seattle D one of the best ever? If not which team had the best D.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Having said that, I haven't seen a defense play that physically in a Superbowl since the 85 Bears. I was MIGHTY impressed and feel a sense of great satisfaction watching that defense play tonight. It was a joy to behold.

They were far more impressive to me than the 1985 Bears who whipped up on a fairly hapless and one dimensional Patriot team. And the Ravens of '00 beat one of the least qualified SB teams ever.

This was an all-timer performance if you look at what they were facing.

All week, people were all about wanting to go defense but thought eventually the Broncos were just going to kill them. Did not happen.

perrykemp

Reaction score
They were far more impressive to me than the 1985 Bears who whipped up on a fairly hapless and one dimensional Patriot team. And the Ravens of '00 beat one of the least qualified SB teams ever.

All week, people were all about wanting to go defense but thought eventually the Broncos were just going to kill them. Did not happen.

The question was 'Is the Seattle D the best ever?". They probably played the best defensive game ever considering they were playing the highest scoring team in NFL history led by the 5 time NFL MVP.

I still go with the 85 Bears as the best defense in my lifetime looking at regular season and playoffs.

RS12

Reaction score
85 Bears easily. Only 74/75 Steelers even enter the conversation, dominated and humiliated Vikings in XI. 69 Chiefs were really dominant too.

perrykemp

Reaction score
where does the 77 Doomsday Defense rank?

Very good. Probably not top 10.

Maybe the best of all time? The 'Gritz Blitz' 77 Falcons:

Points allowed per game - 9
Yards allowed per game - 231
Yards per play in a season - 3.7
Pass defense - 1300 yards
Forced Turnovers - 48

Unfortunately for them, their offense was the worst in the NFL.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score

The 2000 Ravens beat more than just the Giants. I'll have to check again, but I remember seeing a stat showing that they gave up around a full 5 points less per game than the Seahawks did this year. And also, their defense score more points than they allowed over the duration of the post-season.

The Ravens were easily a more dominant defense, IMO. Can't knock them for not being tested.

Plus tonight. I really felt like Denver came unglued after that safety. This performance really reminded me of the '08 Cowboys and Eagles finale. Just a snowball effect.

I think Seattle clearly would've won anyway, but I think it got ugly because of the early screw up.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
They were far more impressive to me than the 1985 Bears who whipped up on a fairly hapless and one dimensional Patriot team with Tony Eason/Steve Grogan at quarterback. And the Ravens of '00 beat one of the least qualified SB teams ever.

The Ravens played ... Kerry Collins.
The Bears played ... see above.
The Buccaneers played ... Rich Gannon.

The Seahawks played ... Peyton Manning, quarterback extraordinaire and the architect behind the greatest offense ever. Plus, they're playing in a league that has hamstring defenses, unlike the previous great defenses.

This is solely my opinion, but I'm giving the nod to the Seahawks.

perrykemp

Reaction score
The Ravens played ... Kerry Collins.
The Bears played ... see above.
The Buccaneers played ... Rich Gannon.

Your point is well taken -- I agree beating 5 time MVP Manning like the Seahawks did this evening is beyond amazing and I'll never forget the performance -- it was almost surreal.

To give credit where credit is due, the 2002 Bucs the Raiders led by Rich Gannon was the MVP of the league the year they played in the Superbowl.

wileedog

Reaction score
To give credit where credit is due, the 2002 Bucs the Raiders led by Rich Gannon was the MVP of the league the year they played in the Superbowl.

Good point, but there was also a lot of finger pointing after that game about Callahan outsmarting himself with the game plan, plus Gruden was coaching against his own team. If anyone knew what would trip up Gannon it was Chucky, who had developed him from a journeyman QB in the first place.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
That was one of the most dominant defensive performances I have ever seen in a SB, especially considering they were going against that juggernaut offense. The 2007 Giants were close.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The 2000 Ravens beat more than just the Giants. I'll have to check again, but I remember seeing a stat showing that they gave up around a full 5 points less per game than the Seahawks did this year. And also, their defense score more points than they allowed over the duration of the post-season.

The Ravens were easily a more dominant defense, IMO. Can't knock them for not being tested.

Plus tonight. I really felt like Denver came unglued after that safety. This performance really reminded me of the '08 Cowboys and Eagles finale. Just a snowball effect.

I think Seattle clearly would've won anyway, but I think it got ugly because of the early screw up.

Again, I was going off the individual game performance. The Seahawks were great all year. The Bears were all timer all year and rolled over the Patriots. That said, the Seahawks cannot be denied their accolades.

All we heard all week was that Manning and the Broncos O were unstoppable. They reduced them and him to blubbering fools today.

There was plenty of time and opportunity to recover from the safety. Seattle's offense was not exactly clicking early, in fact, they did not get on track all game.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
not sure how the back up qb survived this hit.

hollywood was coming with bad intensions...

http://i6.***BLOCKED***/albums/y237/lanecity1975/images21.jpg