Best defenses of all time

Reaction score
The Ravens played ... Kerry Collins.
The Bears played ... see above.
The Buccaneers played ... Rich Gannon.

The Seahawks played ... Peyton Manning, quarterback extraordinaire and the architect behind the greatest offense ever. Plus, they're playing in a league that has hamstring defenses, unlike the previous great defenses.

This is solely my opinion, but I'm giving the nod to the Seahawks.

This is why, for a single game, the '07 Giants is up there as well. To shut down Tom Brady and the undefeated Patriots was a great achievement...for one day.

Not near the all time best because they didn't do it all year. In fact they were not good at all. But for one day, that performance was as good as it gets.

khiladi

Reaction score
The Ravens played ... Kerry Collins.
The Bears played ... see above.
The Buccaneers played ... Rich Gannon.

The Seahawks played ... Peyton Manning, quarterback extraordinaire and the architect behind the greatest offense ever. Plus, they're playing in a league that has hamstring defenses, unlike the previous great defenses.

This is solely my opinion, but I'm giving the nod to the Seahawks.

Part of the reason Is because the refs let Seattle play aggressive with their corners. That's the problem with today's rules and their subjectivity from day to day.

Plus, Seattle is dominant at home, but beatable away. Denver has shown to have very bad hiccups along the way.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
What was the 91..92 dallas cowboys vs a very good buffalo team who went 4 xs in a row...how many trams have done that?

khiladi

Reaction score
This Seattle defense is one of the youngest in football and will be even better next year... SCARY

Not sure.. Don't know how much free agency will drain them. And they will lose their DC to a head coaching position. They'll have to churn the roster soon.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I hope no one has said it yet. The 1976 Steelers Defense is the best I ever saw. They only allowed 138 points all season (14 games). If you are holding opponents under 10 points per game that is just sick. They pitched 5 shutout. They held all but 4 opponents 17 points or less, counting the playoff. They lost those 4 games, 2 of them to Super Bowl Champion Oakland. Their only other loss the Steelers Offense only scored 6 points.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
as much as I hate them the Giants in 2007 did pretty much the same as what the Seahags did last night. Took on a record breaking Offense that had pretty much eaten everyone alive all season long and then shut them down in the SB.

They were pretty similar performances. The Giants actually gave up fewer yards that game then Seattle did last night in a game where they couldn't just pin their ears back and get to the QB because the score was out of hand.

I also am a firm believer that the 2007 pats were a better offense than this years Denver squad. Granted not by much, but I think Randy Moss and prime Tom Brady were much more potent than DT and old Manning.

So yeah, I'd say they're comparable.

Coy

Reaction score
Quincy Carter would have won a ring out there with that defense tonight. That's not to take anything away from Wilson, who I think is a much better Kaepernick and I would take over RGIII in a heartbeat, that's to say someone at some point has to get over this media obsession with QBs winning games by themselves.

One of the best to ever play couldn't do it tonight. Not even close.

That's why I posted with HALF as good a defense, I could have won that game at QB, that was not the point, they are one of the best ever, saying that I love Wilson.
Romo with a good HC and a good D could win it all.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's why I posted with HALF as good a defense, I could have won that game at QB, that was not the point, they are one of the best ever, saying that I love Wilson.
Romo with a good HC and a good D could win it all.

I'm not impressed by Wilson. I think he took a little step back this year but has such a strong supporting cast it didn't matter.

You put him on the Cowboys and he'd be a train wreck.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
They were far more impressive to me than the 1985 Bears who whipped up on a fairly hapless and one dimensional Patriot team. And the Ravens of '00 beat one of the least qualified SB teams ever.

This was an all-timer performance if you look at what they were facing.

All week, people were all about wanting to go defense but thought eventually the Broncos were just going to kill them. Did not happen.

That Raven's defense gave up something like 10 ppg.

I'd say that particular performance was one of the best I've ever seen. They need to show me consistency over the next year or so for me to gauge them among the 70s Steeler, Vikings and Cowboys. Or maybe the late 60s early 70s Chiefs defense. That one Bears defense was good but it didn't last. The Fins defense in the early 70s wasn't too bad. Atlanta had one great year in the 70s.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
That Raven's defense gave up something like 10 ppg.

I'd say that particular performance was one of the best I've ever seen. They need to show me consistency over the next year or so for me to gauge them among the 70s Steeler, Vikings and Cowboys. Or maybe the late 60s early 70s Chiefs defense. That one Bears defense was good but it didn't last. The Fins defense in the early 70s wasn't too bad. Atlanta had one great year in the 70s.

It's hard to believe that they will continue the dominance.

I believe Sherman, Thomas, and Wilson's contracts are up the same year (end of next). Avril's contract is up after next year, and they've got to re-sign Bennett also who was only on for 1 year, almost 5 million.

And if I'm not mistaken they won't have a first rounder this year?

I'm no expert on their situation, but as with most NFL franchises they'll eventually have to start paying guys and they've handicapped themselves a bit in the future with the Harvin deal. I mean, they won it all, so it was worth it, but they may have troubling sustaining.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Obviously Seattle had a dominating game yesterday and is a great defense.

But I'd have to give the Baltimore D the clear edge considering what they accomplished over an entire season.4 shutouts. 8 games holding the opposition to 10 or less points. They weren't as athletic in the secondary but the front 7 was ferocious.

The Tampa 2002 bunch would be my runner up.

mldardy

Reaction score
I'm not impressed by Wilson. I think he took a little step back this year but has such a strong supporting cast it didn't matter.

You put him on the Cowboys and he'd be a train wreck.

This is ridiculous. He lost his top 2 receivers, he threw for more yards, same amount of TDs and 1 less interception than last year. He also led his team to a division title which he didn't accomplish last year. That's not a little step back. He grew up and became more of leader this year. I don't know how you could possibly come up with saying he took a little step back.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
steelers defenses in the 70's.

is this a good defense? yes but not as dominant as the 85 bears, or the 00 ravens, they were special.

this maybe a top 10 of all time, few can argue. but not best all time. its just superbowl hype at this time.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
It's hard to believe that they will continue the dominance.

I believe Sherman, Thomas, and Wilson's contracts are up the same year (end of next). Avril's contract is up after next year, and they've got to re-sign Bennett also who was only on for 1 year, almost 5 million.

And if I'm not mistaken they won't have a first rounder this year?

I'm no expert on their situation, but as with most NFL franchises they'll eventually have to start paying guys and they've handicapped themselves a bit in the future with the Harvin deal. I mean, they won it all, so it was worth it, but they may have troubling sustaining.

That's been Jerry's operating principle. Worked once not so much since. This is exactly why I want to get the cap better managed and why I do think kicking the cap down the road isn't necessarily a good thing.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
That's been Jerry's operating principle. Worked once not so much since. This is exactly why I want to get the cap better managed and why I do think kicking the cap down the road isn't necessarily a good thing.

Agreed. I've recently changed my stance on this.

I used to believe as long as you were paying the right player, then all of this restructuring doesn't matter.

But it handicaps you. You don't have the freedom to deal with depth issues in FA like you would if you kept a reasonable amount of cap space at the ready.

And more importantly, I'm not so sure you can really pay anyone, anymore.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Lots of good Ds that dont get the recognition like the undefeated Dolphins, dont remember them playing but to do undefeated an entire year you aint just lucky. The Steel Curtain, I hated the mention of the name, they were that good. I think I still have nightmares about them. Doomsday and the early 90's Cowboys had really excellent team work defenses. The 90 boys had allstars at every position it seemed, I miss them so much.

The 85 bears will always get the nod probably, first team I think of when you say GOAT Defenses. But there were, and will be many really great D teams. Thats a good thing as I'm a defense fan really, my favorite Cowboy of all time is Randy White cause he was just so bad back then. I love a great D play and will tip my hat when its turned against the Boys, D is what wins championship, but you cant win games without a good O. Gotta have em both. Any great D team you name had at worst an average offense I would think.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
steelers defenses in the 70's.

is this a good defense? yes but not as dominant as the 85 bears, or the 00 ravens, they were special.

this maybe a top 10 of all time, few can argue. but not best all time. its just superbowl hype at this time.

Agree'd. I actualy think KC had a better D than Seattle this year. Thats who I wanted in the SB, Seattle and KC. That would have been a good game.