Best Metallica Song?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Learning alot on this thread, I've never dug deeper than the middle years honestly. Gonna have to now.

Ride the Lightening and Master of Puppets. Nothing better period bar NONE!

That said. Over Metallica's lifetime. They are far more than that. It's just that those two albums are golden goose. I do not know a single other band that can say that and I'm a freaking Beatles/Zepplin/Elvis/Brooks fan. Listen to those albums as you lay down to sleep. Your blood will sing those songs... Even Fight Fire with Fire (and Battery) which was difficult to consume when I first heard them. If I were a MLB pitcher. Battery would be my entrance song! It's the definition of the best things in life! The realization of pure excitement!

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score

That said. Over Metallica's lifetime. They are far more than that. It's just that those two albums are golden goose. I do not know a single other band that can say that and I'm a freaking Beatles/Zepplin/Elvis/Brooks fan. Listen to those albums as you lay down to sleep. Your blood will sing those songs... Even Fight Fire with Fire (and Battery) which was difficult to consume when I first heard them. If I were a MLB pitcher. Battery would be my entrance song! It's the definition of the best things in life! The realization of pure excitement!
And Justice for All is better, imo. I know I'm in the minority on that take, but it's just a ******* amazing album

Battery is amazing, amongst the greatness of their first four LPs

ShortRound

Reaction score

Ha ok, gonna check those two out at work tomorrow thanks!

I'll listen to anything from Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, Frank Ocean Kanye, TOOL, NIN, SRV, The Smiths, Depeche Mode... lol... there's just too much and not enough time man.

46&2 my entrance music to anything. The build up and aggression to that song... I could punch a wall.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
And Justice for All is better, imo. I know I'm in the minority on that take, but it's just a ******* amazing album

Battery is amazing, amongst the greatness of their first four LPs
Blah!!!

Justice? It has some great songs, but it also has some less than emphatic songs like (hell) ...and justice for all, eye of the beholder, The Frayed Ends of Sanity. That said, The Shortenst Straw, Harvester of Sorrow, Dyers Eve are some of their best!. Now I have two things to say about this album. The song One was huge and I do really like the song, but dear god it's not near their best. ...and Blackened. This song is incredible, but they screwed up the percussion so badly in this song. This could have been a top song for this as it is great, but the percussion is AWFUL. It's so hollow and lacking in depth. If Slipknot existed prior to this, this GRAVE error would not have occurred.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score

I'll listen to anything from Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, Frank Ocean Kanye, TOOL, NIN, SRV, The Smiths, Depeche Mode... lol... there's just too much and not enough time man.

46&2 my entrance music to anything. The build up and aggression to that song... I could punch a wall.

46&2 is golden! If you know Hostile (ex here and his own site now) He posted a thread giving statistics. I followed his up with a response of 46&2. Lets just say, he was surprised by the beef of that post. :)

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Blah!!!

Justice? It has some great songs, but it also has some less than emphatic songs like (hell) ...and justice for all, eye of the beholder, The Frayed Ends of Sanity. That said, The Shortenst Straw, Harvester of Sorrow, Dyers Eve are some of their best!. Now I have two things to say about this album. The song One was huge and I do really like the song, but dear god it's not near their best. ...and Blackened. This song is incredible, but they screwed up the percussion so badly in this song. This could have been a top song for this as it is great, but the percussion is AWFUL. It's so hollow and lacking in depth. If Slipknot existed prior to this, this GRAVE error would not have occurred.
Frayed Ends of Sanity is my all-time song by them :(

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score

Brother, Frank Ocean is amazing.

Do you like The Weeknd?

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Blah!!!

Blackened is so damn good, Sam.

Damn, just a great album.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Just wanna throw in a quick little story here about Metallica, saw them with Ozzy{as opening act} in 86. They were literally booed off the stage and rightly so, being that their sound was horrible. They sounded like a huge wall of noise with one instrument not being distinguishable from the next. Of course it didn't help that 99% of the audience was there to see Ozz. Bet their sound person got a royal chewing after the show.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just wanna throw in a quick little story here about Metallica, saw them with Ozzy{as opening act} in 86. They were literally booed off the stage and rightly so, being that their sound was horrible. They sounded like a huge wall of noise with one instrument not being distinguishable from the next. Of course it didn't help that 99% of the audience was there to see Ozz. Bet their sound person got a royal chewing after the show.

It's funny you bring this up.

I had a friend who got to go see Ozzy with metallica opening for them. Probably in Charleston, WV but he may have seen them somewhere else while on vacation.

He was a big Ozzy fan. I expected him to come back talking about how great Ozzy was.

Instead he kept talking about how awesome Metallica was and this was a band we had heard of but not really listened to...this was when they were touring for Master of Puppets IIRC.

He went and got the tape. Made a copy for me....that changed it all.

Had to go get their older stuff and megadeth.

Maybe they got their sound fixed for that concert...who knows.

I just know I am glad he saw them and told me how great they were.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
It's funny you bring this up.

I had a friend who got to go see Ozzy with metallica opening for them. Probably in Charleston, WV but he may have seen them somewhere else while on vacation.

He was a big Ozzy fan. I expected him to come back talking about how great Ozzy was.

Instead he kept talking about how awesome Metallica was and this was a band we had heard of but not really listened to...this was when they were touring for Master of Puppets IIRC.

He went and got the tape. Made a copy for me....that changed it all.

Had to go get their older stuff and megadeth.

Maybe they got their sound fixed for that concert...who knows.

I just know I am glad he saw them and told me how great they were.

Master of Puppets was great and what at least I consider to be their high point. All of the little subtleties that were on the album{Orion, M.O.P.} just didn't translate to their live sound at least that night.

Another little funny story.....
A couple of the guys I went with were big time metal heads and knew of and heard of bands at that time were pretty well unknowns.
A little band from Texas made the trip up to OKC to see the show and pretty much no one knew who they are asides a few die hard metal heads.......the bands name.............Pantera.
This was right around the time Pantera was more of a hair band and hadn't quite transitioned over to the sound that made them famous in the early 90s.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Master of Puppets was great and what at least I consider to be their high point. All of the little subtleties that were on the album{Orion, M.O.P.} just didn't translate to their live sound at least that night.

Another little funny story.....
A couple of the guys I went with were big time metal heads and knew of and heard of bands at that time were pretty well unknowns.
A little band from Texas made the trip up to OKC to see the show and pretty much no one knew who they are asides a few die hard metal heads.......the bands name.............Pantera.
This was right around the time Pantera was more of a hair band and hadn't quite transitioned over to the sound that made them famous in the early 90s.

Yes pantera started out as hair/glam metal.