Best places to live in North/South Carolina?

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
I need some help from people who know the Carolinas. My wife and I are considering moving south from Ohio due to my wife having more opportunities in the education field. Ohio is really on the decline for education and North Carolina and South Carolina are on the rise. So what are the best neighborhoods to raise a family? We're probably looking to rent a house for awhile. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not to hijack the thread, but I moved from Ohio 11 years ago. Best thing I ever did. Unfortunately my in-laws still live there so I have to visit once a year.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Moved from Ohio in 1996 to Coastal SC and was best thing I ever did.

Schools are hiring here as there is growth. I am in Beaufort which is down near Hilton Head/Savannah.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Upstate SC from Clemson to Spartanburg is good. Columbia is nice but hotter. Charleston area is my favorite. Beaufort, Georgetown and Myrtle Beach good, ok, and decent. Depends on the school district. PM me the school districts and I'll tell you what I know.

NC I know less. Charlotte area including Rock Hill SC is ok. I don't care much for eastern NC. Asheville is nice. Durham and Chapel Hill very nice. Western NC is more isolated but I like it esp if you like the mountains. Gets a little cold for me but I used to ski. The northern area of the state is like rural SC.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
I guess I can use this thread as well. Currently moving to North Carolina from Dallas.

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;4676168 said:
Not to hijack the thread, but I moved from Ohio 11 years ago. Best thing I ever did. Unfortunately my in-laws still live there so I have to visit once a year.

You're not hijacking the thread! Where in Ohio did you live?

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
Wolfpack;4676169 said:
Moved from Ohio in 1996 to Coastal SC and was best thing I ever did.

Schools are hiring here as there is growth. I am in Beaufort which is down near Hilton Head/Savannah.

Thanks Wolfpack, will check out Beaufort!

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
jobberone;4676171 said:
Upstate SC from Clemson to Spartanburg is good. Columbia is nice but hotter. Charleston area is my favorite. Beaufort, Georgetown and Myrtle Beach good, ok, and decent. Depends on the school district. PM me the school districts and I'll tell you what I know.

NC I know less. Charlotte area including Rock Hill SC is ok. I don't care much for eastern NC. Asheville is nice. Durham and Chapel Hill very nice. Western NC is more isolated but I like it esp if you like the mountains. Gets a little cold for me but I used to ski. The northern area of the state is like rural SC.

Wow you really know the Carolinas :bow: It's still in the early stages but when I find some school districts I will send you a PM, thanks!

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I lived in Myrtle Beach for 5 years and for the most part, really enjoyed it. It's a lot more 'northern' in terms of people so you won't feel like a fish out of water. Good weather and generally a good place to be.

YR

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
The place I've always heard good things about is Raleigh. I've only driven thru there a few times, but I've talked to many people that either really liked it or loved it so much that they wish they didn't move away. Charlotte really turned around in the past 10 years. It's turned into a nice little city instead of some over-cramped snorefest with not much to do. You can get some great houses at some great pricing 20-30 minutes outside of the city.

Wilmington I would generally avoid. Not much going on there and that's where the Hurricanes tend to hit (along with the outer banks).

Columbia is a dump, same with Orangeburg. Charleston is very nice although I think people picture it as the nicest southern city ever and in reality, it's like every city...some great places, some very bad places.

I'm not really a big fan of Hilton Head. It's not what it once was and getting anythign done on that island takes forever. I would definitely check out Raleigh from what I've heard.

YR

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4676304 said:
The place I've always heard good things about is Raleigh. I've only driven thru there a few times, but I've talked to many people that either really liked it or loved it so much that they wish they didn't move away. Charlotte really turned around in the past 10 years. It's turned into a nice little city instead of some over-cramped snorefest with not much to do. You can get some great houses at some great pricing 20-30 minutes outside of the city.

Wilmington I would generally avoid. Not much going on there and that's where the Hurricanes tend to hit (along with the outer banks).

Columbia is a dump, same with Orangeburg. Charleston is very nice although I think people picture it as the nicest southern city ever and in reality, it's like every city...some great places, some very bad places.

I'm not really a big fan of Hilton Head. It's not what it once was and getting anythign done on that island takes forever. I would definitely check out Raleigh from what I've heard.
YR

Thanks YR! I have heard the same things about Raleigh! What suburbs in Charlotte are good?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
pjtoadie;4676282 said:
You're not hijacking the thread! Where in Ohio did you live?

Dayton.

Used to be a great city but it's been going downhill for so long now I don't think it will ever recover.

ologan

Reaction score
Depends on what type of terrain and/or weather you prefer. Jobberone is right about the GSP (Greenville/Spartanburg SC area). It's a great place stuck between the low country heat and the mountains cool. furher west from there,but not by much, is the Anderson/ Clemson/ Seneca area.
If you like the coast, Charleston area is neat, albeit hot and muggy in the summer.
In NC, I would say that the coast area around Savannah (one of my all time favorite towns!) is great if you like the coast. Again,hot and humid in summer.
A lot further west is Asheville, NC and the areas on towards Murphy, NC, in the mountains. Being from the Ohio area, the cold in winter shouldn't bother you too much. Super area!!!! All kinds of little towns to enjoy....Sylva, Cullowhee, Cashiers, Franklin.....and it goes on and on. You can find some really good deals in housing in the area at this time.

jnday

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4676302 said:
I lived in Myrtle Beach for 5 years and for the most part, really enjoyed it. It's a lot more 'northern' in terms of people so you won't feel like a fish out of water. Good weather and generally a good place to be.

YR

I just read an article that backs your claim. Seems that there has been a population boom caused by people moving from the North to the Carolinas. The native population has took a 10% decrease in the last few years. It seems this area is the new Florida.

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;4676338 said:
Dayton.

Used to be a great city but it's been going downhill for so long now I don't think it will ever recover.

Yeah I'm familiar with Dayton and you're right it used to be a great city! I live in the Cleveland area and I am sick of it :D

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
jnday;4676360 said:
I just read an article that backs your claim. Seems that there has been a population boom caused by people moving from the North to the Carolinas. The native population has took a 10% decrease in the last few years. It seems this area is the new Florida.

Myrtle Beach was a very popular area for northeast tourists (and Ohio and Michigan) starting in the 90's. I went to Coastal Carolina University, which is just outside Myrtle (I actually lived in Myrtle while going to school there) and my fraternity usually had 50 active members and about 40-45 would be from above the Mason-Dixon line.

If you're within Myrtle city limits, it's almost exclusively northern folk like myself. Once you start to get outside of there like Conway, Socastee, Little River, etc. it becomes very hardcore southern. I would say about 75% despise Yankees like myself for no reason other than to do so, the other 25% get along swimmingly.

YR

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
ologan;4676341 said:
Depends on what type of terrain and/or weather you prefer. Jobberone is right about the GSP (Greenville/Spartanburg SC area). It's a great place stuck between the low country heat and the mountains cool. furher west from there,but not by much, is the Anderson/ Clemson/ Seneca area.
If you like the coast, Charleston area is neat, albeit hot and muggy in the summer.
In NC, I would say that the coast area around Savannah (one of my all time favorite towns!) is great if you like the coast. Again,hot and humid in summer.
A lot further west is Asheville, NC and the areas on towards Murphy, NC, in the mountains. Being from the Ohio area, the cold in winter shouldn't bother you too much. Super area!!!! All kinds of little towns to enjoy....Sylva, Cullowhee, Cashiers, Franklin.....and it goes on and on. You can find some really good deals in housing in the area at this time.

Thanks for the info! I think I want warm summers and cool fall/winters with not much snow. How do you feel about the Charlotte area?

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with Huntersville, NC? I read somewhere that it's one of the better suburbs in Charlotte.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
To this day the most beautiful place I have ever been is Highlands, NC in the Western region and the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Small town built around a few mountain lakes and creeks. The drives to get there have multiple waterfalls to enjoy. Dry Falls you can walk behind. Bridal Veil Falls drops on one side of the road, goes under the road and down so you are drying over it. Cullasaja Falls drops 250 feet in a series of drops. That is between Franklin and Highlands.

The other route into town that I know of is from Hendersonville to the East. The Falls I remember from that ay are Whitewater Falls, which does require a hike to get to, but is worth it. 411 foot single drop. Highest dropping waterfall in the Eastern US I believe. Had a great wooden bridge across the creek at the bottom. There was another Falls that I think was called Sliding Rock.

It is a rather short distance drive to either South Carolina or Georgia.

I have dreamed of owning a cabin there for a long time.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
pjtoadie;4676389 said:
Anyone familiar with Huntersville, NC? I read somewhere that it's one of the better suburbs in Charlotte.
Huntsville and Matthews are both upper end suburbs there. I lived in Charlotte for a little while back in the 1980's.