Best places to live in North/South Carolina?

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Hostile;4676411 said:
Huntsville and Matthews are both upper end suburbs there. I lived in Charlotte for a little while back in the 1980's.

I think you mean
Huntersville.

Sorry...not be that guy, but I moved from there a year ago. Ballantyne and South Park are nice as well

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
As to the OP, you really need to decide what you want in your lifestyle.

I am very familiar to Charlotte, there is alot to offer. I lived smack downtown and could walk to everything. There are good restaurants, movies, sports, bars, light rail, etc.

My colleagues lived primarily in Huntersville/Birkdale area. It is a nice community, very middle mid to upper middle class. Nice picturesque outdoor mall. Closer to Lake Norman (i.e. the Penninsula, Cornelius), you get the gated neighborhoods full of NASCAR drivers, Joe Gibbs, NFLers, etc

Also had a relative in Ballantyne ... To me, more pretentious area. Btween Pineville and Matthews, it has nice areas, but seems to be more "keeping up with the Jones" type of place. It is the "5th ave" of Charlotte if you will.

Matthews is more rural, more house for the money. further away from action.

NoDa (North Davidson) is an artsy fartsy area. Nothing wrong with that, great indie bands, rejuvenating the area, fun arts and pubs.

Going further south, outside of Pineville, you et to Waxhaw/Union Co. which is McMansions for decent price (3250-400K for 4000sqft). Not sure of schools, I hear CMS school system is really bad, but like all cities, there are pockets that are pristine (Ballantyne, Pineville, etc).

You can also live in SC and work in Charlotte, traffic only sux for about 45 minutes from 450-530ish.

If you want to avoid taxes, live/work in SC on the border (20 minutes to Charlotte). NC has a 8% income tax, pretty high property taxes and 9% sales tax. Its not much different than California. I moved to NC from Tennessee and that was a harder transition than NC to Cali (except house price).

Feel free to PM me if you decide on that area. I really enjoyed downtown

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
McLovin;4677071 said:
As to the OP, you really need to decide what you want in your lifestyle.

I am very familiar to Charlotte, there is alot to offer. I lived smack downtown and could walk to everything. There are good restaurants, movies, sports, bars, light rail, etc.

My colleagues lived primarily in Huntersville/Birkdale area. It is a nice community, very middle mid to upper middle class. Nice picturesque outdoor mall. Closer to Lake Norman (i.e. the Penninsula, Cornelius), you get the gated neighborhoods full of NASCAR drivers, Joe Gibbs, NFLers, etc

Also had a relative in Ballantyne ... To me, more pretentious area. Btween Pineville and Matthews, it has nice areas, but seems to be more "keeping up with the Jones" type of place. It is the "5th ave" of Charlotte if you will.

Matthews is more rural, more house for the money. further away from action.

NoDa (North Davidson) is an artsy fartsy area. Nothing wrong with that, great indie bands, rejuvenating the area, fun arts and pubs.

Going further south, outside of Pineville, you et to Waxhaw/Union Co. which is McMansions for decent price (3250-400K for 4000sqft). Not sure of schools, I hear CMS school system is really bad, but like all cities, there are pockets that are pristine (Ballantyne, Pineville, etc).

You can also live in SC and work in Charlotte, traffic only sux for about 45 minutes from 450-530ish.

If you want to avoid taxes, live/work in SC on the border (20 minutes to Charlotte). NC has a 8% income tax, pretty high property taxes and 9% sales tax. Its not much different than California. I moved to NC from Tennessee and that was a harder transition than NC to Cali (except house price).

Feel free to PM me if you decide on that area. I really enjoyed downtown

Thanks McLovin! We want a suburb that's within 30 minutes from a bigger city i.e. Charlotte or Raleigh. Right now we live 30 minutes outside of Cleveland, OH and we like the fact that we are close to a major city. As far as the neighborhood goes we obviously want it to be safe and have a good school system. We prefer middle class i.e. homes that range from 150k to 250k. My wife's brother and family live in Lake Wylie, SC and absolutely love it! We're looking to be near them. It looks like Matthews and Huntersville might fit what we are looking for, right?

ologan

Reaction score
Hostile;4676408 said:
To this day the most beautiful place I have ever been is Highlands, NC in the Western region and the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Small town built around a few mountain lakes and creeks. The drives to get there have multiple waterfalls to enjoy. Dry Falls you can walk behind. Bridal Veil Falls drops on one side of the road, goes under the road and down so you are drying over it. Cullasaja Falls drops 250 feet in a series of drops. That is between Franklin and Highlands.

The other route into town that I know of is from Hendersonville to the East. The Falls I remember from that ay are Whitewater Falls, which does require a hike to get to, but is worth it. 411 foot single drop. Highest dropping waterfall in the Eastern US I believe. Had a great wooden bridge across the creek at the bottom. There was another Falls that I think was called Sliding Rock.

It is a rather short distance drive to either South Carolina or Georgia.

I have dreamed of owning a cabin there for a long time.

Just got back from Highlands about an hour ago, Hos! We are producing and installing plantation shutters for a rather large home between Highlands and Cashiers,NC. I normally go there or thru there at least twice a week in my line of work. What a great place to live!
If you have ever dreamed of owning a cabin up here, now is the time to find something. I sold and am installing wood blinds in a cabin just outside of Highlands that originally sold for 700k about five years ago. The original owner tried to sell it at a discount, but lost it to the bank. My customer bought it for 139k and added 100k to it. You would love it! Gorgeous view.
There are deals to be had up here,but you have to search them out.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4676302 said:
I lived in Myrtle Beach for 5 years and for the most part, really enjoyed it. It's a lot more 'northern' in terms of people so you won't feel like a fish out of water. Good weather and generally a good place to be.

YR

what is the hurricane risk there?

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Personal favorite: Outer banks...but not many job opportunities.
Best city/growth: Charlotte, NC
Best small city: Charleston, SC
Honorable mention: Boone, NC

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
tomson75;4677648 said:
Personal favorite: Outer banks...but not many job opportunities.
Best city/growth: Charlotte, NC
Best small city: Charleston, SC
Honorable mention: Boone, NC

Thanks for the info! I really think Charlotte is where we're going to look!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
McLovin;4677038 said:
I think you mean
Huntersville.

Sorry...not be that guy, but I moved from there a year ago. Ballantyne and South Park are nice as well
I blame my iPhone. I was responding to Huntersville question by the author, so I obviously knew. I just didn't see it get corrected by the phone.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ologan;4677192 said:
Just got back from Highlands about an hour ago, Hos! We are producing and installing plantation shutters for a rather large home between Highlands and Cashiers,NC. I normally go there or thru there at least twice a week in my line of work. What a great place to live!
If you have ever dreamed of owning a cabin up here, now is the time to find something. I sold and am installing wood blinds in a cabin just outside of Highlands that originally sold for 700k about five years ago. The original owner tried to sell it at a discount, but lost it to the bank. My customer bought it for 139k and added 100k to it. You would love it! Gorgeous view.
There are deals to be had up here,but you have to search them out.
Was I telling the truth about how beautiful the area is?

I actually got to feed some swans on one of the lakes up there. You talk about jazzed. I was a punk 20 year old kid and had never seen a swan in my life and here I was feeding one.

If my writings sell, I will buy one. Just to have it.

jnday

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4676384 said:
Myrtle Beach was a very popular area for northeast tourists (and Ohio and Michigan) starting in the 90's. I went to Coastal Carolina University, which is just outside Myrtle (I actually lived in Myrtle while going to school there) and my fraternity usually had 50 active members and about 40-45 would be from above the Mason-Dixon line.

If you're within Myrtle city limits, it's almost exclusively northern folk like myself. Once you start to get outside of there like Conway, Socastee, Little River, etc. it becomes very hardcore southern. I would say about 75% despise Yankees like myself for no reason other than to do so, the other 25% get along swimmingly.

YR
You represent a second invasion to many Southerners. I am sure the 75% don't despise you as a person. ;) It is a common feeling in the South.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
The "Research Triangle", Raleigh-Durham or Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill areas have been mentioned in article after article as a prime area to move to over the past several years.

Personally, and I think most of this depends on yours and your wife's skill-set, but I could easily relocate to any number of either states' resort or outer banks areas.

I have some friends that have lived on Emerald Isle, NC since the mid 80s. I've "visited" them several times for up to 3 months at a stretch. I could get used to that lifestyle, easily.

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;4677915 said:
The "Research Triangle", Raleigh-Durham or Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill areas have been mentioned in article after article as a prime area to move to over the past several years.

Personally, and I think most of this depends on yours and your wife's skill-set, but I could easily relocate to any number of either states' resort or outer banks areas.

I have some friends that have lived on Emerald Isle, NC since the mid 80s. I've "visited" them several times for up to 3 months at a stretch. I could get used to that lifestyle, easily.

Yeah Raleigh is still a possibility but I think we want to look at the Charlotte area. My wife does curriculum and training for charter schools and she also has taught high school math and was a department chair for several years. I don't think she wants to return to teaching though. As for myself I am a stay at home dad but I am also a photographer that specializes in concerts. I freelance for a few newspapers and I just started as a contributor for Getty Images. If we do indeed move to NC/SC I will have to take into consideration the concert scene and that's another reason why Charlotte is atop our list.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
Asheville is probably the nicest place in the Carolinas. fall is the best very mild and right in the blueridge mountains makes it very beautiful. People come from all over to see.

Since Asheville is high up in the Mountains even in the hot summers there is usually a breeze. I meet many people from Ohio here every day and I have 2 sets of good friends living here from Ohio.

Asheville is a fast growing small city with a small town feel. Charolette is ok but I think Asheville is better. many agree because I have met many people that first moved to Charlotte and then to Asheville.Including a friend of mine.

Asheville is very diverse. in the food , art and people from all over.

Asheville is huge for the outdoors and is supported by the government. The city has a huge block weekend block party every July, I am guessing one of the largest in the country.
it is close to as Hos said sliding rock and many waterfalls also close is Lake Lure . many movies have been filmed here due to the areas beauty including Dirty Dancin,Last of the Mohicans and last was Hungar Games.
there is crime here as with every where but the police do a decent job controlling it.

As a small business owner I can say Asheville are huge at supporting small business.
As for SC. Greenville , spartanburgh about a 30 min drive and if the news is any indication. lots of crime there as a matter of fact whenever a violent crime takes place it is normally in that area.

If you have any questions you can PM me. I moved here from PA quite some time ago

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Charleston, SC/Summerville SC. LOTS of teaching jobs are available. School starts this week and some schools still don't have all the teachers they need so right now they are having to add some students to other classrooms. I love it here. Not far from the beach and the Charleston has some of the best restaurants.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
pjtoadie;4677985 said:
Yeah Raleigh is still a possibility but I think we want to look at the Charlotte area. My wife does curriculum and training for charter schools and she also has taught high school math and was a department chair for several years. I don't think she wants to return to teaching though. As for myself I am a stay at home dad but I am also a photographer that specializes in concerts. I freelance for a few newspapers and I just started as a contributor for Getty Images. If we do indeed move to NC/SC I will have to take into consideration the concert scene and that's another reason why Charlotte is atop our list.

as for the concerts Asheville has a very big music scene. lots of local bands and at least 2 concert venus for bigger bands, The Orangepeel and civic center. recently The Killers playedd at The Orange Peel ,the only place they are playing in the states this year. Asheville is about a 2hr drive to Charlotte

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
To add to my above post: The reason why I know the Charleston area is dire for educators is because my girlfriend just moved down from Virginia. She doesn't even have an SC license yet to teach but pretty much got hired on the spot because they do not have enough teachers for every classroom.

I have lived in SC all my life, but have traveled all over the US. I grew up in Georgetown and spent a fair amount of time in Myrtle Beach before moving to the Charleston area. Also went to school for four years in Columbia (University of South Carolina).

I would avoid Columbia. I hated living there. It is the hottest place in SC and is also a congested mess. Georgetown is ok but it is too small and old-fashioned. There aren't many job opportunities there, so teenagers tend to leave after high school never to return. Myrtle Beach is good for all the tourist attractions and great beaches, but I still don't think I would want to live there either. Charleston is perfect for me because it combines about five mini-cities into one, each with its own flavor. You are sure to find an area that will suit your personality and needs.

As for NC, I haven't lived there, but visited frequently. Charlotte is very nice and also has a lot of job opportunities. If you are looking for a place with big city flare but still a southern touch, Charlotte would be a good place to live. Same with Raleigh, though I would say that Raleigh has better scenery. Ashville, NC is also a very, very beautiful place. It is the entrance to the mountains and has the best scenery I have ever witnessed, especially in the fall and winter months, so if are looking to freelance with photography, I would definitely consider Ashville. I took a cabin vacation there a few years back and had the time of my life. The Blue Ridge Parkway is a must visit for you, as it has some of the best shots of mountains with numerous viewing areas along the parkway. Plus it isn't far from Charlotte and Columbia (both about 2hrs away) which would give you the opportunity to go there for bigger concerts and such. Not sure about teaching job opportunities though.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Cowboy Junkie;4678012 said:
Asheville is probably the nicest place in the Carolinas. fall is the best very mild and right in the blueridge mountains makes it very beautiful. People come from all over to see.

Since Asheville is high up in the Mountains even in the hot summers there is usually a breeze. I meet many people from Ohio here every day and I have 2 sets of good friends living here from Ohio.

Asheville is a fast growing small city with a small town feel. Charolette is ok but I think Asheville is better. many agree because I have met many people that first moved to Charlotte and then to Asheville.Including a friend of mine.

Asheville is huge for the outdoors and is supported by the government. The city has a huge block weekend block party every July, I am guessing one of the largest in the country.
it is close to as Hos said sliding rock and many waterfalls also close is Lake Lure . many movies have been filmed here due to the areas beauty including Dirty Dancin,Last of the Mohicans and last was Hungar Games.
there is crime here as with every where but the police do a decent job controlling it.

As a small business owner I can say Asheville are huge at supporting small business.
As for SC. Greenville , spartanburgh about a 30 min drive and if the news is any indication. lots of crime there as a matter of fact whenever a violent crime takes place it is normally in that area.

If you have any questions you can PM me. I moved here from PA quite some time ago
I didn't know you lived there. I did for a few months.

There used to be a restaurant there called The Filling Station. It was decorated up like a garage. The soda area was old gas pumps and you filled your glass with them. They had an all you can eat lunch buffet that was pizza, salad bar, and build your own hoagie sandwiches.

I think it may have been one of the coolest gimmick restaurants I have ever been to. The walls had old hubcaps and license plates.

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
Cowboy Junkie;4678012 said:

Cowboy Junkie;4678019 said:
as for the concerts Asheville has a very big music scene. lots of local bands and at least 2 concert venus for bigger bands, The Orangepeel and civic center. recently The Killers playedd at The Orange Peel ,the only place they are playing in the states this year. Asheville is about a 2hr drive to Charlotte

Ahh didn't know about the music scene in Asheville, thanks! Will check it out!

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
JonJon;4678016 said:
Charleston, SC/Summerville SC. LOTS of teaching jobs are available. School starts this week and some schools still don't have all the teachers they need so right now they are having to add some students to other classrooms. I love it here. Not far from the beach and the Charleston has some of the best restaurants.

JonJon;4678033 said:
To add to my above post: The reason why I know the Charleston area is dire for educators is because my girlfriend just moved down from Virginia. She doesn't even have an SC license yet to teach but pretty much got hired on the spot because they do not have enough teachers for every classroom.

I have lived in SC all my life, but have traveled all over the US. I grew up in Georgetown and spent a fair amount of time in Myrtle Beach before moving to the Charleston area. Also went to school for four years in Columbia (University of South Carolina).

I would avoid Columbia. I hated living there. It is the hottest place in SC and is also a congested mess. Georgetown is ok but it is too small and old-fashioned. There aren't many job opportunities there, so teenagers tend to leave after high school never to return. Myrtle Beach is good for all the tourist attractions and great beaches, but I still don't think I would want to live there either. Charleston is perfect for me because it combines about five mini-cities into one, each with its own flavor. You are sure to find an area that will suit your personality and needs.

As for NC, I haven't lived there, but visited frequently. Charlotte is very nice and also has a lot of job opportunities. If you are looking for a place with big city flare but still a southern touch, Charlotte would be a good place to live. Same with Raleigh, though I would say that Raleigh has better scenery. Ashville, NC is also a very, very beautiful place. It is the entrance to the mountains and has the best scenery I have ever witnessed, especially in the fall and winter months, so if are looking to freelance with photography, I would definitely consider Ashville. I took a cabin vacation there a few years back and had the time of my life. The Blue Ridge Parkway is a must visit for you, as it has some of the best shots of mountains with numerous viewing areas along the parkway. Plus it isn't far from Charlotte and Columbia (both about 2hrs away) which would give you the opportunity to go there for bigger concerts and such. Not sure about teaching job opportunities though.

Very interesting about the Charleston teaching situation, I'm going to ask my wife if she wants to go back into teaching or continue to do the administrative thing. I really think Charlotte might be the place because like you said a place with big city flare with a southern touch is exactly what we want! I'm still going to look at Raleigh, Asheville, and Charleston.

ologan

Reaction score
pjtoadie;4678083 said:
Ahh didn't know about the music scene in Asheville, thanks! Will check it out!

Asheville......Little Austin!!!! Very neat town. Google Bele Chere for the "block party" mentioned earlier,and info on the music scene. You will be impressed.