Best Westerns and Western Actors of all time

Blackthorn

Reaction score
I know I am late to the discussions but I am a western buff. My favorite two are James Arness and Clint Walker. One of my favorite character's in a western has to be Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc Holliday in Tombstone. I love the quotes, "say when" and "I'm your Huckleberry." If I was Dak Prescott, I would quote a western during every interview, especially Doc. I wish that Netflix would add few hundred every month. Also, you can never go wrong with John Wayne. I have not watched TV programming in years. I watch Old Westerns, the Dallas Cowboys on Game Pass and a few survival shows as in "Alone." I like to hike and camp and the Westerns are just a good fit.
220px-James_Arness_Matt_Dillon_1955.jpg
1389992088_1.jpg
221107_max.jpg

Last edited:

diefree666

Reaction score
I know I am late to the discussions but I am a western buff. My favorite two are James Arness and Clint Walker. One of my favorite character's in a western has to be Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc Holliday in Tombstone. I love the quotes, "say when" and "I'm your Huckleberry." If I was Dak Prescott, I would quote a western during every interview, especially Doc. I wish that Netflix would add few hundred every month. Also, you can never go wrong with John Wayne. I have not watched TV programming in years. I watch Old Westerns, the Dallas Cowboys on Game Pass and a few survival shows as in "Alone." I like to hike and camp and the Westerns are just a good fit.
220px-James_Arness_Matt_Dillon_1955.jpg
1389992088_1.jpg
221107_max.jpg
Clint Walker was another virtually ignored actor that was really really good. Ought to start out a thread on ignored actors and actresses.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I got a book a couple of years ago called "Great Stagecoach Robberies of the Old West" by R. Michael Wilson.
I haven't read it yet, but that's how I am with books.

I have a soft spot for Mackenna's Gold. I just wish they could re-do the large reptile parts with CGI.

52275986144_e21765e528_o.jpg

What a stellar cast.!

quickccc

Reaction score
https://www.vulture.com/article/50-best-western-movies-ever.html

Thanks for Sharing ...
Without bumping oldie threadies, here's a quick re-hash of my top All time Western films:

Good Bad and Ugly
Tombstone
The Unforgiven
Shane
Django Unchained
Quick and the Dead (sharon stone)
The Magnificent Seven (1960 version)
Broken Arrow (1950)
Once upon a time in the West
The Man who shot Liberty Valance
Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
Evil Roy Slade
Warlock
High Noon
The Cowboys
Blazing Saddles
Nuns and Guns
Annie Oakley
Dodge City
The Hateful Eight
Red Garters

- I admit that i have never seen some that are considered classics such as:
- The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
- Open Range
- 3:10 to Yuma
- The Searchers
- Stagecoach
- Sons of Katie Elder
- She wore a Yellow Ribbon

i finally saw - Outlaw of Josey Wales (Eastwood) ... Meh !... :p

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The best acting I”ve seen in a western was in The Wild Bunch and Unforgiven.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
One of my favorite "western" actors hasn't really done many real Westerns, Timothy Olyphant. He was great in "Deadwood", but really liked his modern "western" take in "Jusitfied" and as Cobb Vanth in "The Mandalorian". I'd like to see him do more traditional style Westerns.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've never really like John Wayne's movies. To me they all seemed too "clean". Clint Eastwood's films seemed grittier and based on what real life was back in the day. I love his westerns. I just watched Unforgiven on a flight yesterday and I loved it all over again. I've seen it at least a dozen times and I like it just as much as the first time.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I've never really like John Wayne's movies. To me they all seemed too "clean". Clint Eastwood's films seemed grittier and based on what real life was back in the day. I love his westerns. I just watched Unforgiven on a flight yesterday and I loved it all over again. I've seen it at least a dozen times and I like it just as much as the first time.
ain't nuthin' clean about the searchers...or big jake.
for me...john wayne and clint eastwood are awesome.
love'm both.

quickccc

Reaction score
i thought about Yul Brunner's West World on my westerns , but despite the title it wasn't really a true Western movie, it was more Sci- Fi .

Sci FI is also the reason why i didn't place Cowboys and Aliens among my list

924c4411210062ed9472a5def51bcca0.jpg

6919ec4e4a31447646192dbe1ee7129d.jpg

Creeper

Reaction score
So many good movies already mentioned.

John Wayne and Clint Eastwood are clearly the two most prominent western actors, but Charles Bronson did a couple of good ones (The Magnificent 7, and Once Upon a Time in the West) and Lee Marvin was great in Cat Ballou.

Jack Elam was in a lot of westerns as was Ben Johnson. Some names that might have been forgotten.