Big 12 2014 Season

Aggie87

Reaction score
Don't forget that Manziel was arrested in 2012 and eventually charged with a misdemeanor.

Good point. His only charge was failure to identify himself (i.e. false id). Which only happened because he tried to prevent a fight.

"Police reports state that Manziel was with a friend who directed a racial slur at a man on the street. The man then approached the two of them trying to get at the friend, but Manziel placed himself between the two men saying his friend didn't mean it and he was going to take him home. The man continued pushing against Manziel to reach the other, and eventually Manziel pushed back. At this point, the man swung at Manziel who then began fighting back. Shortly afterward, the bicycle patrol officers arrived. Manziel, who at the time was 19, presented a fake Louisiana driver’s license to police officers showing himself to be 21. Manziel was taken into custody and reportedly spent the night in jail."

Rogah

Reaction score
BIG XII or Bevo League should of had a title game.
That's easy to say with 20/20 hindsight but, historically speaking, conference championship games have hurt conferences just as often as help them.

It really took quite a bit of bad luck for the Big XII to get left out in the cold. The weakest of the "big 5 conferences", the ACC, managed to have a team go undefeated. 1 loss there and they would be the ones out of the picture. As for all the rest, it was the rare situation where all the prohibitive favorites actually managed to win their conference championships.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Big 12 has a 7 team bowl slate that will make A LOT of money.
Now that cooler heads have prevailed we likely see zero changes.
Not making the playoff cost them all of 2m as a conference or 200K per school.
Since they'll make well over 25Million they'll each survive....

I think we'll see it get to 8 teams and soon.
What happened this year was not about conference but brand names.
Had Texas been 11-1 they sail in.

Had Minnesota went undefeated in the Big 10 they are out.

Pressure is on teams now to go make these Bowl games count.
Perception for next year's rankings will be affected by how conferences perform in Bowls.

jimmy40

Reaction score

I think we'll see it get to 8 teams and soon.
What happened this year was not about conference but brand names.
Had Texas been 11-1 they sail in.

Had Minnesota went undefeated in the Big 10 they are out.

Pressure is on teams now to go make these Bowl games count.
Perception for next year's rankings will be affected by how conferences perform in Bowls.

No way an undefeated Big 10 team would have been out, they would have been in the top 4 going in to the Big 10 Championship game and no way they would have dropped.

Rogah

Reaction score
That's short term thinking. The prestige and exposure that comes with being in one of those playoff games goes beyond simply counting the dollars and cents of this year's bowl games total haul.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
No way an undefeated Big 10 team would have been out, they would have been in the top 4 going in to the Big 10 Championship game and no way they would have dropped.

They would not have been undefeated. They lost to TCU.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That's short term thinking. The prestige and exposure that comes with being in one of those playoff games goes beyond simply counting the dollars and cents of this year's bowl games total haul.

Sorry but no, it doesn't.

Very few people could tell you who finished 2nd most season's much less 3rd or 4th.

Winning provides incredible lasting prestige to be sure and losing out on a chance at that sucks but the best two teams in the country are probably Oregon and Bama.
It is actually much better to win a big Bowl game then to lose badly in a semi-final match up.

The playoff should eventually hit 8 but whatever happens it is already going to provide soem info about conference strength and that will effect the yearly voting on participants.

The Big 10 and ACC have been easily the 4th and 5th ranked P5 groups and while they have a chance to change that perception it means going through Bama and Oregon right now.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Winning provides incredible lasting prestige to be sure and losing out on a chance at that sucks but the best two teams in the country are probably Oregon and Bama.
It is actually much better to win a big Bowl game then to lose badly in a semi-final match up.

So you are saying the Big XII can't win a semi-final match up, which are in themselves big bowl games? If that is the case then they aren't the best conference.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
So you are saying the Big XII can't win a semi-final match up, which are in themselves big bowl games? If that is the case then they aren't the best conference.

i didn't say that.
i said getting into a playoff and losing isn't better than just missing but winning. --in direct response to someone saying it was so much better to get a 3 or 4 seed.

we'll see who the best conference is when the games are played tho there is plenty of evidence as to how that stacks up now, it'll be more telling after the bowls.

if you want to debate any aspect of college football i am more than willing but if you are going to offer nonsense that relates exactly zero the points made then I'll just put you ignore.

joseephuss

Reaction score
i didn't say that.
i said getting into a playoff and losing isn't better than just missing but winning. --in direct response to someone saying it was so much better to get a 3 or 4 seed.

we'll see who the best conference is when the games are played tho there is plenty of evidence as to how that stacks up now, it'll be more telling after the bowls.

if you want to debate any aspect of college football i am more than willing but if you are going to offer nonsense that relates exactly zero the points made then I'll just put you ignore.

Put me on ignore. You make dumb claims and back it up with nothing. The Big XII is not the best conference. You can't be left out of the playoffs and be considered the best conference or be considered in a better situation.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Put me on ignore. You make dumb claims and back it up with nothing. The Big XII is not the best conference. You can't be left out of the playoffs and be considered the best conference or be considered in a better situation.

Hey, Jo -- you don't really think the ACC is better than the Big 12, do you?

We really need 6 or 8 teams in this format to keep it from being skewed by inevitable differences in SOS.

Rogah

Reaction score
Sorry but no, it doesn't.

Very few people could tell you who finished 2nd most season's much less 3rd or 4th.
Oh really? You don't think people remember the participants in the past few BCS Championships (including the losing team)? Or that the HC's of those teams don't use that whem recruiting?

Can't say I agree with you there. I bet more people can name last year's BCS Championship loser than the Orange Bowl winner.

Last edited:

joseephuss

Reaction score
Hey, Jo -- you don't really think the ACC is better than the Big 12, do you?

We really need 6 or 8 teams in this format to keep it from being skewed by inevitable differences in SOS.

No, I don't think the ACC is better than the Big 12. I don't believe anyone claimed they were in this thread, but there were claims that the Big 12 was the best. Neither the ACC or the Big 12 are the best conferences. I do consider the ACC to be in a better situation than the Big 12 since they have a team in the playoffs.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Oh really? You don't think people remember the participants in the past few BCS Championships (including the losing team)? Or that the HC's of those teams don't use that whem recruiting?

Can't say I agree with you there. I bet more people can name last year's BCS Championship loser than the Orange Bowl winner.

People will remember that the Big 12 was the Power 5 conference left out of the initial college football playoffs, which is not the right kind of recognition.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

at least you have the right avi.

feel free to use this thread to go find the espn stats and data info where they ranked the Big 12 as the best conference statistically a couple weeks ago.
not my rank, theirs. just because you don;t like data doesn't mean it is lacking.

i have stated many times the SEC is the best football conference, tho not yearly and not by nearly as large a margin as people pretend.

but again you have ever yet made a point in over 20k posts so it really is pointless to debate your theory on something other people state that you can't even get correct so on ignore you go.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

What people will remember from last year is that OU drove Bama off the field and FSU won the title. Many will recall FSU beat Auburn but they won't in a couple seasons.
And most couldn't tell you who finished ranked 2nd or 3rd or 4th in the nation even now.

People are going to remember the top 6 teams this year because it has been discussed a zillion times. Baylor and TCU are using it to recruit as well.
Their most recent commits have commented on it in their commits on twitter.

The lasting impression is the final game and the storyline of the winning teams. Big upsets or large margins.

By the time the championship game is played going to the Semi-final will have already lost some of it's luster.
And if a team went and got blown out that will get used right back against them.

As to recruiting who cares? The 4 teams in have national recruiting bases and top 5 rankings anyway. Who exactly were they supposed to surpass??

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
BTW, the week of the championship games, ESPN was on set at Baylor for Baylor/KST.
They didn't get in but got plenty of exposure.

Baylor and TCU WITHOUT A DOUBT benefited the most of all the schools from this process because they were the tiny Christian private schools.
The 4 that got in were long-time national powers.