Big 12 Football 2013 Season Thread

Aikbach

Reaction score
I figured condensing the subject matter into one broad thread could be helpful for matters not worthy of whole threads and that correlate with the Big 12 conference as a whole on game days.

As of today the game day highlights of the conference were the following:

#13 OSU handled UTSA as expected.

#16 OU unexpectedly struggled in a sloppy contest in the lone conference matchup of the young season against the underdog WVU.

#15 Texas was stunned by BYU and will likely see the season's ambitions altered accordingly.

#24 TCU bounced back against SE Lousiana after a tough loss to #9 LSU last week.

#23 Baylor made some noise with prolific offense that saw them cruise past Buffalo 70-13, a team that last week put up an admirable fight against #2 Ohio State to the tune of a 40-20 score.

Discuss, contribute, expand all season long...

MC KAos

Reaction score
the big 12 as a whole sucks this year, the best team is probably okie state, and they arent very good. i think the highest ranked big 12 team at the end of the season wont be in the top 10

Aikbach

Reaction score
the big 12 as a whole sucks this year, the best team is probably okie state, and they arent very good. i think the highest ranked big 12 team at the end of the season wont be in the top 10

I think your understandable disappointment with the longhorns has colored your judgement of a conference way too early in the year.

MC KAos

Reaction score
I think your understandable disappointment with the longhorns has colored your judgement of a conference way too early in the year.

maybe so, im just leaning towards the conference as a whole having a down year. the team with the most returning starters just got blown out by a team that lost to virginia. OU, OSU and WVU are having issues replacing departed QBs, KSU already lost to a D2 school, kansas is sure to suck, and i just dont think baylor and iowa state are good enough to carry the conference. TCU actually seemed pretty good after hanging tough with LSU, but they barely beat a crap team today and lost their QB for at least a few weeks. Tech has looked good, but they have yet to play a real team so its still up in the air with them. I hope im wrong because no one loves the big 12 more than i do, but i am very pessimistic about the conference from what ive seen so far.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
mc is right... The conference just sucks this year. Unfortunate but true. It's never good for a conference when its marquee schools aren't good, and Texas and Oklahoma are both way down with poor coaching and recruiting.

Aikbach

Reaction score
Baylor wrecking shop 35-0 against ULM at the end of the first quarter.

Aikbach

Reaction score
42-0, Baylor extends lead with 13 minutes left in the 2nd quarter.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I don't think the Big 12 is down at all. OSU, OU, Tech and Baylor all look very strong thus far. And TCU in a down year lost to LSU by 10.
Kansas, WVU, and Iowa State are woefully bad so that rather saps the depth argument but the Big 12 is a top 2/3 conference again.
Will be interesting to see if OKST can run the table but I expect you see multiple teams finish the year ranked quite high.
Very likely another season where half the Big 12 is in the top 25 by years end.

People forget there aren't 14 or 16 schools in the Big 12.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Baylor is good, can't wait to see them vs. Big XII opponents. They might have the most balanced offense in the country. OK State is alright and I like JW Walsh but their running game is not as dominant as years past. OU might have something if Blake Bell can continue to play. I like the emphasis on running the ball this year...they need to keep that up.

I'm not sold on Texas Tech; they don't know who is their QB and they don't run the ball. They should be good enough to get to 6-7 wins though. TCU has too many struggles on offense to do much in the Big XII this year. Texas isn't good but they're also not as bad as it may seem. Still a disappointing year for them considering they had so many returning starters. They'll take care of the Big XII basement teams like K-State, Kansas, ISU but I'm not sure how well they'll do vs. the quality teams. They will still make a bowl game though.

The rest: They're all rebuilding so not much to see there

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Geno, Tavon and Stedman...please come back to WVU. We can enroll under different names if need be.

But instead we will struggle with a crap oline, not ready to play QBs and WRs who drop too many balls.

This current team would be better off turning into a run first and almost always spread team that occasionally throws the ball...except we have throwing QBs on the roster.

Just feel bad that we have some good RBs on the roster but can't seem to do anything with them.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I would not say the Big 12 is bad.
They seem to have 5-6 somewhat decent teams out of 10.
But they lack that elite team that every other major conference has at least one of this year.
imo

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Baylor is good, can't wait to see them vs. Big XII opponents. They might have the most balanced offense in the country. OK State is alright and I like JW Walsh but their running game is not as dominant as years past. OU might have something if Blake Bell can continue to play. I like the emphasis on running the ball this year...they need to keep that up.

I'm not sold on Texas Tech; they don't know who is their QB and they don't run the ball. They should be good enough to get to 6-7 wins though. TCU has too many struggles on offense to do much in the Big XII this year. Texas isn't good but they're also not as bad as it may seem. Still a disappointing year for them considering they had so many returning starters. They'll take care of the Big XII basement teams like K-State, Kansas, ISU but I'm not sure how well they'll do vs. the quality teams. They will still make a bowl game though.

The rest: They're all rebuilding so not much to see there

I honestly don't know what Baylor is yet. They've played Wofford, Buffalo and Louisiana Monroe. I mean, I don't know how you could know how good or bad Baylor might be this year.

Aikbach

Reaction score
http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...s-found-it-s-favorite-in-the-baylor-bears.ece

True Baylor has played unranked opponents, but you're supposed to blowout inferior competition, it would be a concern if they weren't.

They also are on pace to smash the NCAA record for scoring, their feats through the first three games haven't been matched since 1930 by LSU.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...s-found-it-s-favorite-in-the-baylor-bears.ece

True Baylor has played unranked opponents, but you're supposed to blowout inferior competition, it would be a concern if they weren't.

They also are on pace to smash the NCAA record for scoring, their feats through the first three games haven't been matched since 1930 by LSU.

Unranked opponents? OK, we still don't know what Baylor is yet. They have played nobody.

Aikbach

Reaction score
Yeah, well, we still don't know what Baylor is yet. They have played nobody.

Neither has Ohio State, and ohio State struggled at home against a Buffalo team they pulled away from late for a 40-20 win, same Buffalo that fell 70-13 to Baylor a week later and who's coach called Baylor a top 5 squad.

ULM was dashed 34-0 by Ou in the season opening, they were down 35-0 to Baylor after one quarter, and 70-7 half way through the 3rd.

I think we know enough to say Baylor has the potential to be a top 10 or higher team, right now they stand polled at 19, but only for right now.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Until proven otherwise I think know Baylor and OK St have to be the favorites for the big 12 right now because they seem to be the only teams killing it on offense. I say right now as they have to continue going.