Big 12 looking to add 4 PAC 12 teams

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I highly advise you to do the same. There are a lot more monies involved than the simple equation you posted.

People have been saying "this is it.... with all these changes, now Notre Dame is going to have to join a conference..." for almost 40 years now.
LOL!! A couple posts ago, you literally said "It’s always about the money." So which is it? Is it about the money, or the academics?
The SEC may have some poor states, but they sure aren't poor when it comes to college football. When it comes to college football, even "poor states" like Alabama and Louisiana are making - and spending - more than any of the northern states are.

My dude I can lead horses to water but I can't make them drink.
Two Steps That Could Push Notre Dame to Join the Big Ten - Sports Illustrated

REPORT: Big Ten waiting on Notre Dame's decision before potential negotiations with Oregon, Washington (msn.com)

Notre Dame Could Follow USC, UCLA And Dollar Signs To Big Ten (forbes.com)

Read above....
ND will feel pressure of both ACC possible redaction or collapse and loss of revenue plus natural long-running rivals.
They may fight it off and it is their nature to want to try that but at some point the corner they are backed into is simply likely to be too great.
Right now at this moment the reason they partially joined the ACC was to ensure that CFP path but that path only exists until 2026.
Will the ACC even have an auto-bid? No one knows. They and the PAC 12 voted AGAINST locking that down months ago by following B1G guidance. Same with Big 12 or Pac 12. ACC may not even exist in any form resembling today which is what I suspect occurs.

Also the B1G is paying more money plus has higher academic standards than the SEC. Notre Dame has 2 options and the B1G is the one that has them join a conference.

End of day Expect B1G and SEC to gobble up all the high value teams. It has been going that direction for 20 years now. If that happens the Pac 12 loses 4-6 teams and the ACC lose 4-6 teams.
They are a million miles apart so unlikely to merge.

Ghost12

Reaction score
SEC has prevented TAMU from playing Texas Tech and UT for all this time.
Yeah, gonna need a source for that one. And bear in mind we are talking about regular season OOC games, not bowl matchups (where the conference does help decide who goes where).
Conferences make strong suggestions that teams follow.
No conference is going to tell USC they have to drop a 90 year rivalry against Notre Dame. Notre Dame already plays 1 or 2 Big 10 schools every year. What exactly do you think they are going to do? Tell all their members that playing Notre Dame is forbidden, or just USC?
24 years matter.
No, it kinda really doesn't. Stanford and Notre Dame ending their series would not register one bit.
Yup, these are the articles I've been reading for 30+ years now.

Notre Dame will do whatever is in their best financial interest. If the numbers work out, they will join the Big 10 - but it isn't quite as simple as you are trying to make it appear to be.

DFWJC

Reaction score
That would make a solid all around league
Nothing “great” but certainly viable.
Good move,imo

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Apparently they are looking to add up to 6 teams now.
YGci8ph.jpg

terra

Reaction score
Two Steps That Could Push Notre Dame to Join the Big Ten - Sports Illustrated

REPORT: Big Ten waiting on Notre Dame's decision before potential negotiations with Oregon, Washington (msn.com)

Notre Dame Could Follow USC, UCLA And Dollar Signs To Big Ten (forbes.com)

Read above....
ND will feel pressure of both ACC possible redaction or collapse and loss of revenue plus natural long-running rivals.
They may fight it off and it is their nature to want to try that but at some point the corner they are backed into is simply likely to be too great.
Right now at this moment the reason they partially joined the ACC was to ensure that CFP path but that path only exists until 2026.
Will the ACC even have an auto-bid? No one knows. They and the PAC 12 voted AGAINST locking that down months ago by following B1G guidance. Same with Big 12 or Pac 12. ACC may not even exist in any form resembling today which is what I suspect occurs.

Also the B1G is paying more money plus has higher academic standards than the SEC. Notre Dame has 2 options and the B1G is the one that has them join a conference.

End of day Expect B1G and SEC to gobble up all the high value teams. It has been going that direction for 20 years now. If that happens the Pac 12 loses 4-6 teams and the ACC lose 4-6 teams.
They are a million miles apart so unlikely to merge.
more than likely ND will continue to give the finger to all conferences

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Last week, Action Network's Brett McMurphy reported that the SEC would likely target multiple ACC programs as additions, including Florida State. That sentiment was shared by former Georgia head coach Jim Donnan on the latest episode of UGASports Live. Donnan believes the SEC and Big Ten are closing in on having as many as 20 programs per conference.

“What we're going towards, and, the only thing I'll tell you about this show, when I tell you a sure thing, I back it," Donnan said. "Sure thing, there are going to be two, at least 20-team conferences between the Big Ten and the SEC."

The retired coach and analyst identified four teams he expects to join the SEC in the near future; Florida State, Miami, Clemson, and North Carolina. The conference already has 16 members with the additions of Oklahoma and Texas. Bringing in the four aforementioned ACC programs would get the SEC to a record 20 members.

“Miami, Florida State, Clemson, and North Carolina are going to be in the SEC pretty quick," Donnan said. "North Carolina's basketball helps them a lot along those lines but those four teams are going to be coming in here to go along with maybe a couple more from the west coast.”

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
more than likely ND will continue to give the finger to all conferences
Its possible they hold fast but they already caved into the ACC deal giving them half their schedule.
If the SEC steals 4 teams as is reported; including above, I think ND goes to the B1G. It gives them their ideal schedule of 3-4 rivals in conference games and 3 OOC to play Navy and others with just the dreaded full conference membership.
And that will settle both mega confs into the stratosphere for the remaining 3 former P5 confs scrapping for leftovers and likely seeing at least 1 go bye completely.
I still think both confs get to 20 and a 3rd conf gets to be the B level with 20 or 24 as well.

Then a 3rd tier which is former Gof5 containing 3-4 confs in larger configurations.

And possibly a large handful of teams stop playing football.

This is ALL about money and monopolies, but they are trying to move fast before the steamers become legit competition in truly big dollar sports game.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yeah, gonna need a source for that one. And bear in mind we are talking about regular season OOC games, not bowl matchups (where the conference does help decide who goes where).
No conference is going to tell USC they have to drop a 90 year rivalry against Notre Dame. Notre Dame already plays 1 or 2 Big 10 schools every year. What exactly do you think they are going to do? Tell all their members that playing Notre Dame is forbidden, or just USC?
No, it kinda really doesn't. Stanford and Notre Dame ending their series would not register one bit.

Notre Dame will do whatever is in their best financial interest. If the numbers work out, they will join the Big 10 - but it isn't quite as simple as you are trying to make it appear to be.

The SEC has contractual control over the Bowl matchups and has skipped TAMU in order to prevent playing them versus Big 12 teams that were already locked in when those schools were TTU/UT MULTIPLE times.
They have also NOT played in the pre or regular season even as the fan bases applied crazy pressure for it to happen.
It took an unavoidable College World series tilt to get them to meet for the first time.
But my dude believe whatever nonsense you like.

Notre Dame was actually independent in football for 80 years.
Then it joined the ACC in 2012 as a partial member for football and full member for Olympic sports.
No one is suggesting it is a done deal that they join the B1G but the writing is on the wall that they join a conference and ONLY the B1G preserves those rivalries.
We heard the USC/UCLA rumblings which seemed even more far-fetched. Until it wasn't.

As to how it would work in a ND freeze out, is B1G asks behind closed doors members to not schedule Notre Dame until such time as they join the conference or 5 years whichever comes sooner.
A big part of the latest B1G pitch is apparently a yearly rivalry game with USC and at least 3 more rivalry games amongst some combo of (Stanford, Michigan, Mich St, UCLA, Indiana, Purdue) yearly.
It may not work and certainly may not work super-fast but it is the most compelling argument any conf ever made to them.
And the new CFP rules may force such a move to maintain true NC pathways.

End of day anyone believing they have 100% certainty in any of this is nuts. Its' just opinions. And you back that opinion with an argument, a linked report or you just talk.
You are just talking.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Sounds like Clemson, FSU, UNC, and UVA are in talks to join the SEC. ACC might as well dismantle if this goes through because ND will join Big 10.

terra

Reaction score
The SEC has contractual control over the Bowl matchups and has skipped TAMU in order to prevent playing them versus Big 12 teams that were already locked in when those schools were TTU/UT MULTIPLE times.
They have also NOT played in the pre or regular season even as the fan bases applied crazy pressure for it to happen.
It took an unavoidable College World series tilt to get them to meet for the first time.
But my dude believe whatever nonsense you like.

Notre Dame was actually independent in football for 80 years.
Then it joined the ACC in 2012 as a partial member for football and full member for Olympic sports.
No one is suggesting it is a done deal that they join the B1G but the writing is on the wall that they join a conference and ONLY the B1G preserves those rivalries.
We heard the USC/UCLA rumblings which seemed even more far-fetched. Until it wasn't.

As to how it would work in a ND freeze out, is B1G asks behind closed doors members to not schedule Notre Dame until such time as they join the conference or 5 years whichever comes sooner.
A big part of the latest B1G pitch is apparently a yearly rivalry game with USC and at least 3 more rivalry games amongst some combo of (Stanford, Michigan, Mich St, UCLA, Indiana, Purdue) yearly.
It may not work and certainly may not work super-fast but it is the most compelling argument any conf ever made to them.
And the new CFP rules may force such a move to maintain true NC pathways.

End of day anyone believing they have 100% certainty in any of this is nuts. Its' just opinions. And you back that opinion with an argument, a linked report or you just talk.
You are just talking.
You are unintentionally hilarious.

Ghost12

Reaction score
All you did was restate exactly what I said: The SEC has control over bowl matchups, but we are not talking about bowl matchups. We are talking about teams scheduling regular season OOC games. Alabama is playing Texas this year.... Texas just played Arkansas and LSU in the past few years... so the notion that the SEC banned A&M from playing Texas but allowed other members is completely moronic.

I asked you for a reference to support your point and you haven't provided squat. But my dude believe whatever nonsense you like.
LOLOLOL!!! Good luck with that.

"Uh, hey guys.... stop scheduling the biggest draw in college football with you OOC games.... because reasons...." LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are just talking.
Here is a great example of someone talking completely out of their ***: "SEC has prevented TAMU from playing Texas Tech and UT for all this time." - jterrell

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
All you did was restate exactly what I said: The SEC has control over bowl matchups, but we are not talking about bowl matchups. We are talking about teams scheduling regular season OOC games. Alabama is playing Texas this year.... Texas just played Arkansas and LSU in the past few years... so the notion that the SEC banned A&M from playing Texas but allowed other members is completely moronic.

I asked you for a reference to support your point and you haven't provided squat. But my dude believe whatever nonsense you like.
LOLOLOL!!! Good luck with that.

"Uh, hey guys.... stop scheduling the biggest draw in college football with you OOC games.... because reasons...." LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a great example of someone talking completely out of their ***: "SEC has prevented TAMU from playing Texas Tech and UT for all this time." - jterrell
good lord man please stop posting at me because you are saying nothing at all of relevance while we get new reports every day of conferences doing exactly what I posited they'd do.

The SEC HAS PREVENTED TAMU FROM PLAYING TEXAS AND TEXAS TECH ALL THIS TIME dummy,. IT has AXCT"UALLY FRIGGI"N HAPPENED.
Are you too goofy to see what has actually occurred? ROFL. for the love of God we are arguing about facts.

Report: SEC, A&M would nix bowl game vs. Texas - NBC Sports College Football

SEC forced TAMU into a rivalry with LSU and prevented them playing Texas even though there was massive money to be made on that game.

Notre Dame's NBC ratings took a 48% hit last year. The highest rated game they have was a loss versus Cincinatti.
Notre Dame will have great ratings when they are really good like other helmet schools.
They are the biggest brand by far not in the SEC or B1G but do not live in a world of their own for ratings.
Again you just type nonsense when you could actually take 30 seconds and google rather than post stupid things.

NBC sees significant drop in Notre Dame football TV audience (sportsbusinessjournal.com)

Ghost12

Reaction score
good lord man please stop posting at me because you are saying nothing at all of relevance while we get new reports every day of conferences doing exactly what I posited they'd do.
You can ignore me or stop responding any time you want - but you don't have the self control to actually do so.
The SEC HAS PREVENTED TAMU FROM PLAYING TEXAS AND TEXAS TECH ALL THIS TIME dummy,. IT has AXCT"UALLY FRIGGI"N HAPPENED.
Are you too goofy to see what has actually occurred? ROFL. for the love of God we are arguing about facts.
Either you're not reading my posts, or you're just a complete moron (or, more likely, both)

SINCE YOUR SIMPLE, CHILDLIKE MIND ENJOYS POSTING IN ALL CAPS I WILL RESPOND IN KIND: I AM TALKING ABOUT THE REGULAR SEASON OUT OF CONFERENCE SCHEDULE. I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT BOWL GAMES.

SHOW ME WHERE THE CONFERENCE PREVENTED TEXAS A&M FROM SCHEDULING TEXAS AS A REGULAR SEASON, OUT OF CONFERENCE GAME.

Mannix

Reaction score
The President and AD of ASU will find a way to screw this up....mark my words!!!

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I'm surprised (if true) the Big Ten is really interested in bringing Arizona and Arizona State onboard. I'd be more interested in bringing on a competitive school like Boise State that's consistently ranked in the Top 25 for the better part of the past decade.

Sydla

Reaction score
There is a better chance of Stephen Jones assuming the head coaching role this season and winning SB than of ND joining the SEC.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I highly advise you to do the same. There are a lot more monies involved than the simple equation you posted.

People have been saying "this is it.... with all these changes, now Notre Dame is going to have to join a conference..." for almost 40 years now.
LOL!! A couple posts ago, you literally said "It’s always about the money." So which is it? Is it about the money, or the academics?
The SEC may have some poor states, but they sure aren't poor when it comes to college football. When it comes to college football, even "poor states" like Alabama and Louisiana are making - and spending - more than any of the northern states are.

My dude I can lead horses to water but I can't make them drink.

The wealth of a state is irrelevent or UCLA and Cal would be shutting their doors as the state of CA is technically broke. Alabama is judged to be "poor" on a per capita basis but it also costs a hell of a lot less to live there. The University of Alabama athletic department is among the wealthiest in the nation.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

ND has its own TV contracts. It has zero incentive to sign up for a conference as long as the athletes don't care and the major conference schools will schedule them. If the Big 10 and ACC said no more scheduling ND out of conference, that would force their hand. Money isn't enough b/c their brand is so big and national they don't need conference money. It would be a pay cut.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The wealth of a state is irrelevent or UCLA and Cal would be shutting their doors as the state of CA is technically broke. Alabama is judged to be "poor" on a per capita basis but it also costs a hell of a lot less to live there. The University of Alabama athletic department is among the wealthiest in the nation.

Alabama is cheap because it is subsidized by the federal gov't.
The state ranks 5th from bottom in per capita income and has a massive deluge of net loss because it is also low population.
It also ranks 5th in per 100K residents on welfare.
It is why it has no Pro sports teams... which makes its collegiate experience bigger to be sure.
But mostly what I was referring to is Alabama doesn't have a Phil Knight to flex for it.
The alumni base isn't wealthy in that state the way it is in other cases.

California pays out money to the government at a very large rate. They fund the entire deep south by themselves.
Consider that when you think of the smelly, weird power crystal treehuggers out there paying 8 bucks for a gallon of gas.

Notre Dame already semi-joined the ACC to ensure it has a path to the CFP.
But the ACC then refused to vote for a GTD spot for the ACC...lol.
So theres no guarantee that spot will exist in 12 or 24 months.
B1G and SEC will not want to guarantee spots to anyone else.
Those spots are worth like 500K EACH in revenue.

All I can say with 100% certainty is the B1G and SEC will gobble teams up if they want to.
And we are close to breaking all 3 other P5 leagues.

The ACC has a very long grant of rights but at absolutely dreadful rates. 17M per team is basura.
So no one is joining that mess that has any other P5 style option.
And the ACC has a few interesting properties for the SEC and B1G to pillage. They just need to time it so it breaks it the conference as payouts would be absurd.
ESPN has a vested interest in keeping the ACC at those low rates so will help where they can.

The Big 12 was pretty close to done and dusted w OUT exit but the Pac 12 got cold feet and didn't snatch up geographically closest Texas Tech and Oklahoma State when it should have to kill it off and now roles have reversed.
And we wont talk about their failure to add BYU because it is a church school.
But B12 has hate with ESPN and that means a deal with CBS or streamers like Apple TV, Amazon Prime has to be put together that pays big. Doable but a negative on their ledger.
Positive is the massive schools have already left so SEC/B1G aren't coming calling.

The Pac was hurting in many ways before the defections of the southern Cal schools.
If 2 more schools leave it is all over. And Arizona and Colorado would like to move back to the B12 for sure. State of texas games for recruiting and preferred playing slots in CST/Mountain versus PST.
Oregon and WAS will go as soon as B1G or SEC offer and work out logistics later.
Going to market at 10 schools is insane. Its' a recipe for disaster.
They need to learn from B12 travails and expand or join another P5 conf.