Big Contracts in 2019 - The real reason Dez was released

cern

Reaction score
But why aren’t we using the Cap savings this year? It’s not like we can accrue into 2019.
it is necessary to save some in case of injuries and the need to bring in someone later in the season.

cern

Reaction score
It does accrue into 2019. That's exactly why we arent using it.

Browns, jets, and 9ers had excess of $100M in cap due to not spending theur excess cap the year before.
you are correct. it can accrue. any excess this year goes into next year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
you are correct. it can accrue. any excess this year goes into next year.
That makes a big difference. Thanks!

I didn’t realize whatever savings you had from previous was added to next years Cap.

Can you only go back to previous year?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
DAL decided to part ways with Dez the minute they signed the extension

That is why they waited until the last second and split up the signing bonus..... they were never comfortable being exposed to a Dez flip out(something that never ever happened in the past)

They couldn't sell passing on Dez back in 2015 after the career he had but he was never a RKG

They didn't use his contract as an ATM.......they didn't restructure....... they didn't add void years..... they didn't offer a pay cut ......they didn't offer an extension

And then they cut him execution style a month after FA and days before the Draft...... that was cold-blooded

His money was going to be off the books by 2020 so the whole thread is misguided

Dez was always a Dead Man Walking .....you just can't get emotional on the sidelines...ask Greg Hardy and Jason Witten

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does Gregory have enough time accrued to be a FA?
You could have cut dez next year and had same effect on future contracts
They cut him this year to get rid of the player, not the contract

no, his time suspended does not count toward FA, nor does it impact his contract status or salary cap.

cern

Reaction score
Stephen was not going to overpay for an under performing pain in the butt. jerry might have once upon a time. but not Stephen. slowly, inexorably, torches are being passed as regards personnel. coaches will be next.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Curious why we released Dez in 2018 if we don’t intend to use the Cap space until 2019?

Apparently they tried to use some of the cap space when they attempted to make a deal for ET. I guess they haven't decided anyone else they could realistically get is worth the use of cap space. But I think it's obvious that cap space wasn't the only factor involved.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Apparently they tried to use some of the cap space when they attempted to make a deal for ET. I guess they haven't decided anyone else they could realistically get is worth the use of cap space. But I think it's obvious that cap space wasn't the only factor involved.
I’ve gained some new knowledge today so my opinion has been influenced since we can roll over Cap savings this year into 2019.

And I think your right. Doesn’t look like we wanted Dez at any price. Which makes the timing of the release even more suspect.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
this particular thread has been enlightening and informative. so yes. but do we need another post questioning whether or not we need another thread about dez?
Right.

I’ve learned more in this thread about the Cap savings than any other Dez thread which has influenced my opinion .

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I’ve gained some new knowledge today so my opinion has been influenced since we can roll over Cap savings this year into 2019.
They rolled over almost 8m from 2017

DAL is 9.3m under right now
they get 2.4m from OScan on June 1st
the Draft class is signed except for Gallup -300k
they will need 1.1m for Practice Squad

Leaves them with 10.3m under the cap

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They rolled over almost 8m from 2017

DAL is 9.3m under right now
they get 2.4m from OScan on June 1st
the Draft class is signed except for Gallup -300k
they will need 1.1m for Practice Squad

Leaves them with 10.3m under the cap
Thanks

This provides me more support for the release of Dez.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They could have saved the same 8m with a paycut/restructure

He didn't have to be cut to save the cap space
Interesting ..

We just had a hardon for Dez and wanted him out. Then why did we wait so long to release?

This is why Dez is so upset. He might have good cause.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't really think Cap played into it to be honest. I think if that were the case, we probably would have never tired to go after Sammie Watkins. JMO
I think your right. We didn’t want Dez at any price .

And intentionally released him late to decrease his Opportunities signing on with another team. No wonder Dez is so upset.