Bit of info on the trade down and target players

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They were talking on 105.3 the fan about the trade down.

During the press conference Stephen said they had four players the liked.

So when the lions offered the pick they moved down five spots and wagered that one of those four would drop.

He did in Tyler Guyton.

Turns out the four players were Tyler Guyton, Graham Barton, Jordan Morgan and DE Robinson.

Barton, Morgan and Robinson were taken....along with Detroit taking the DB.

Guyton was left and they put the card in.

Guyton was a target all along. Although not a 30 visit. Coaches did meet with Guyton at Combine and through zoom meetings. They also talked at the Senior Bowl and Guyton said that he and Solari had a great relationship.

A couple of other nuggets. Stephen said they were hoping to get that fourth round pick going into the draft but they did one better with the Lions trade by getting a third.

The trade, by the standard draft trade chart, was clearly a win for the Cowboys. Detroit wanted to move ahead of GB to get that DB so they overpaid some.

Something to consider as well. The majority of mock drafts by the pundits had the Cowboys taking Guyton at 24. But they got him at 29 and picked up a 3rd round pick. Actually a top half of the third round with a pick higher than the one they have.

It was also reported that even after the trade down to 29, they still got calls from teams trying to trade up but they stayed and got the player they wanted.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I read on the Miami board that their GM was trying to get back into the 1st. Rumor was for Worthy or Guyton.
I assume when Worthy went at 28, it was for Guyton, which Dallas wanted, so it wasn't going to happen.

Link. Adam is a reporter for Miami Herald
https://finheaven.com/threads/grier-attempted-to-trade-back-into-1st-round.383358/
I believe Carolina was a team as well.
They traded up to the last pick in the first round with the Bills. I think the Bills traded down at least two times.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Good info B.........
Just think soo many had them taking JPJ at 24..........shows how hard it is to know what teams will do.

morasp

Reaction score
Good value pick and the third round pick from the Lions is a lot earlier than ours. The last time they did this they took a WR with the third round pick and Fredrick turned out pretty well until he got sick.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not know if is true or not but word is that they were not high on JPJ in the first.

I am not sure if they would take him later or not.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not know if is true or not but word is that they were not high on JPJ in the first.

I am not sure if they would take him later or not.
They won't. Unless something unforeseen happens, it really looks like Hoffman will be the next center.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They were talking on 105.3 the fan about the trade down.

During the press conference Stephen said they had four players the liked.

So when the lions offered the pick they moved down five spots and wagered that one of those four would drop.

He did in Tyler Guyton.

Turns out the four players were Tyler Guyton, Graham Barton, Jordan Morgan and DE Robinson.

Barton, Morgan and Robinson were taken....along with Detroit taking the DB.

Guyton was left and they put the card in.

Guyton was a target all along. Although not a 30 visit. Coaches did meet with Guyton at Combine and through zoom meetings. They also talked at the Senior Bowl and Guyton said that he and Solari had a great relationship.

A couple of other nuggets. Stephen said they were hoping to get that fourth round pick going into the draft but they did one better with the Lions trade by getting a third.

The trade, by the standard draft trade chart, was clearly a win for the Cowboys. Detroit wanted to move ahead of GB to get that DB so they overpaid some.

Something to consider as well. The majority of mock drafts by the pundits had the Cowboys taking Guyton at 24. But they got him at 29 and picked up a 3rd round pick. Actually a top half of the third round with a pick higher than the one they have.

It was also reported that even after the trade down to 29, they still got calls from teams trying to trade up but they stayed and got the player they wanted.
Not a fan of this. But I won’t beat them up too much…..because they did get a third rounder. Had it been a 4th….id probably still understand it but be pissed.

But to me these guys are not equal. Barton and Chop are not equal. They traded down and got a inferior prospect.

But maybe it works out in their favor. Stop trading away from talent.

StarLord

Reaction score
I liked what we did with the trade considering what the board was at the time

Not very high on Guyton. I worry he's too much of a project, but given his lack of O-line experience, I guess there's a lot of room for growth/improvement.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I like the trade, didn't like the pick so much. Would have liked to see them trade out of the 1st to get a high 2nd and take JPJ.
Dane tweeted that wouldn't happen. He was asked spexcically abouit Dallas tradign back then taking JPJ. Said " I don't see it."
Issue with JPJ is his best position and most value is at OG but he'd be the 3rd best OG here.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
Of the four prospects, I would have been happy with either Barton or Guyton. Not as much with the the other two.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not a fan of this. But I won’t beat them up too much…..because they did get a third rounder. Had it been a 4th….id probably still understand it but be pissed.

But to me these guys are not equal. Barton and Chop are not equal. They traded down and got a inferior prospect.

But maybe it works out in their favor. Stop trading away from talent.
I get what your saying. But it was a great trade.

Kiper:

19. Graham Barton, C, Duke
30. Tyler Guyton, OT, Oklahoma

The left tackle is a premium position and center isn't.

Picking up the 9th pick in the 3rd round is HUGE. Cowboys fleeced Detroit.

Also consider the Cowboys really like Hoffman at center.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I get not loving the Guyton pick as he may have to play RT long term but if you don't love the trade down you are just mad over a pet cat or otherwise miserable.
That was about as big of a non QB trade value win as you'll see outside the top 10.

To get a top 75 pick in return was essentially impossible in mocks. Simulators would have turned that trade down every time.

My desire was to trade down and take Frazier as my first selection. I think day he is as good of a OC as Barton(but no not overall player) and healthier, safer than JPJ.
I am hopeful 56 is a OC or LB.

If they do that then R3 brings you a RB and you are cooking with grease.
You STILL have an extra R3 in there to pad a position like WR/DL/CB where you don't need a day 1 starter but would love a deoth piece that can grow into a plus starter.