Bit of info on the trade down and target players

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
FWIW Dane on Barton:

1. GRAHAM BARTON | Duke 6053 | 311 lbs. | 4SR Brentwood, Tenn. (Ravenwood) 6/1/2002 (age 21.90) #62

BACKGROUND: Graham Barton grew up in the Nashville suburb of Brentwood. A standout lacrosse player in his youth, Barton’s football journey got started in fourth grade, when he convinced his mom (Heather) to allow him to play organized football. Barton attended Ravenwood High School, wh ere football overtook lacrosse as his go-to sport as he continued to grow into his frame. He was a four-year letterman on varsity and played on the offensive and defensive lines. Barton was a 215 - pound right tackle as a sophomore before getting up to 255 pounds as a junior left tackle, earning All-State honors in 2018. As a senior, he led Ravenwood to a 13-2 record and the 2019 6A state championship game (lost to Maryville). Barton again earned All-State honors as a senior. He also lettered two years in lacrosse before football became his focus. A three-star recruit, Barton was the No. 41 offensive guard in the 2020 class and the No. 19 recruit in Tennessee (No. 4 offensive li neman in the state). His put himself on the recruiting radar prior to his junior season of high school and received his first offers from Central Michigan, Washington State and Memphis. He was recruited by in-state power Tennessee but never received an offer. Barton finished with a dozen scholarship offers from Power 5 programs, inc luding from the SEC (Mississippi State, Missouri and Vanderbilt) and Big Ten (Michigan State, Purdue and Indiana). But he connected with former Duke head coach David Cutc liffe and his message and committed to the Blue Devils in April 2019 prior to his senior year. Barton was the highest-ranked recruit in Cutcliffe’s 2020 recruiting class. He is a public policy major and interned at the Raleigh office of U.S. Senator Thom Tillis during the summer of 2023. Barton opted out of the 2023 bowl game and accepted his invitation to the 2024 Senior Bowl.
YEAR (GP/GS) POSITION NOTES 2020: (6/5) OC Second Team Freshman All-American; Pandemic-shortened season; Enrolled in August 2020 2021: (12/12) LT 2022: (13/13) LT First Team All-ACC 2023: (9/9) LT Second Team All-American; First Team All-ACC; Missed three games (injuries); Missed bowl game (opt-out) Total: (40/39) 34 LT, 5 OC HT WT HAND ARM WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP
COMBINE 6053 313 9 3/8 32 7/8 79 3/4 - - - - - - - - (no workout — left shoulder)
PRO DAY 6052 311 9 5/8 33 80 4.95 2.82 1.68 - - 4.55 7.31 - (no jumps or bench press — left shoulder)
STRENGTHS: Outstanding play strength … eager hands with a stubborn grip (Barton: “I think I outplay my frame.”) … stays controlled and balanced to achieve quality positioning as a run blocker … able to redirect his hips in gaps to seal off defenders … strains through contact to stay connected to blocks … aggressive finisher and works through the whistle … his pull mobility and second-level skills are a strength … smooth setup out of his stance … shows light feet mid-slide when adjusting to pass rushers in space … able to locate late loopers and quickly process when defenses run games up front … plays through nagging injuries and empties the tank on the field … called the “hardest worker” on the team by his quarterback Riley Leonard … only played left tackle the last three seasons, but he was the starter at center (430 snaps) as a freshman.
WEAKNESSES: Arm length is shorter than desired … doesn’t have ideal lateral range to match outside speed … bad habits in pass pro, includ ing ducking his head against shifty rushers … ends up grabbing or hooking defenders when his hands are a fraction off-schedule (14 combined penalties the last two seasons) … lacks lower-body girth and power … needs to use better initial sink to anchor and offset his lack of length vs. bull rushers … overeager in the run game, leading to inconsistent pad level or lunging … missed three games as a senior and battled through multiple injuries, including a concussion and left knee sprain; required labrum surgery to repair his left shoulder (Nov. 2023), which sidelined him for most of the draft process … didn’t play a snap insid e at guard in college. SUMMARY: A four-year starter at Duke, Barton was entrenched at left tackle in former offensive coordinator Kevin Johns’ scheme. The highest-ranked recruit in the Blue Devils’ class four years ago, he earned freshman All-America honors as a center in 2020 and started 34 games at left tackle over the last three seasons, earning All-America honors in 2023. As a run blocker, Barton plays with the athletic control, core strength and stubborn mentality to exe cute his assignments. His movements and finishing skills also translate to pass protection, but he will struggle cutting off NFL speed and needs to improve his punch timing to stay ahead of schedule (and avoid penalties). Overall, Barton will have adjustments to make as he moves inside, but he has athletic feet and strong hands and works hard to stay attached to blocks through the whistle. He projects as an above-average NFL starter at guard or center (reminiscent of Alijah Vera-Tucker).
GRADE: 1st Round (No. 18 overall

StuckMojo

Reaction score
Need a center and help on the Dline and LB. But I guess we take an injured rb.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
JT the Cowboys will play him at LT.
Next year they will try. but longer term he may move to RT.
Guyton is 9-10 year pick.

I can see a scenario where Tyler moves to LT if Guyrton isn't good enough as a rookie and plays it very well and it just sticks.
Then Guyton beats out Steele who takes a pay cut in a couple years (when his GTD money is done) to hang around as a swing OT.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
So again, the issue with Barton(and why he fell) is he is an excellent all-around player but probably best suited inside due to arm length and frame. Could make Pro Bowl at either OG or OC but probably has more value at OG.
Had Dallas taken him they almost certainly move Tyler outside next year, slide Barton to LG which he has not played and let Hoffman roam OC to get the best 5 on the field.

It isn't a bad situation AT ALL but it is marginally better than Guyton, Smith, Frazier(or JPJ), Martin, Steele where two uber-talented dudes are playing out of their preferred position.

Sydla

Reaction score
They were talking on 105.3 the fan about the trade down.

During the press conference Stephen said they had four players the liked.

So when the lions offered the pick they moved down five spots and wagered that one of those four would drop.

He did in Tyler Guyton.

Turns out the four players were Tyler Guyton, Graham Barton, Jordan Morgan and DE Robinson.

Barton, Morgan and Robinson were taken....along with Detroit taking the DB.

Guyton was left and they put the card in.

Guyton was a target all along. Although not a 30 visit. Coaches did meet with Guyton at Combine and through zoom meetings. They also talked at the Senior Bowl and Guyton said that he and Solari had a great relationship.

A couple of other nuggets. Stephen said they were hoping to get that fourth round pick going into the draft but they did one better with the Lions trade by getting a third.

The trade, by the standard draft trade chart, was clearly a win for the Cowboys. Detroit wanted to move ahead of GB to get that DB so they overpaid some.

Something to consider as well. The majority of mock drafts by the pundits had the Cowboys taking Guyton at 24. But they got him at 29 and picked up a 3rd round pick. Actually a top half of the third round with a pick higher than the one they have.

It was also reported that even after the trade down to 29, they still got calls from teams trying to trade up but they stayed and got the player they wanted.
Credit where credit is due. The trade, value wise, was a win for Dallas.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
One coming off ACL surgery that might not be cleared to play at the start of the year and may need an entire season to get his knee back fully healthy?

Brooks is a MASSIVE risk. And we know our risks in the 2nd round usually backfire.

Brooks just doesn’t look special enough to draft this high.

Just pick a guy, run them into the ground for 4 years, then draft another.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I get what your saying. But it was a great trade.

Kiper:

19. Graham Barton, C, Duke
30. Tyler Guyton, OT, Oklahoma

The left tackle is a premium position and center isn't.

Picking up the 9th pick in the 3rd round is HUGE. Cowboys fleeced Detroit.

Also consider the Cowboys really like Hoffman at center.
I 100 percent get it. Great trade. I have no issue with it just the trade away…..can’t argue though they got their guy and a 3rd.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I liked what we did with the trade considering what the board was at the time

Not very high on Guyton. I worry he's too much of a project, but given his lack of O-line experience, I guess there's a lot of room for growth/improvement.
cant disagree with that but if had more experience playing Tackle then he would have gone much higher based on his athleticism.

Gambit

Reaction score
I like the trade, didn't like the pick so much. Would have liked to see them trade out of the 1st to get a high 2nd and take JPJ.
Trades don't happen in a maddenesque vacuum. There has to be a partner to trade with at top of 2nd. This isn't a pff sim where you click force trade to be accepted.

We got a high 3rd for moving 5 spots a tremendous value.

There is reports that JPJ has been taken completely off of some teams boards.

On top of that we got one of the most athletic T in the draft and out what remained, likely the best T option. Don't forget he gave up zero 0 none ziich not a single sack last year being blind side protection for his QB, talk about production meeting traits.

Not the OL I wanted but with value of 73 and fills a need with great potential I'll not complain either

Streifenkarl

Reaction score

Kiper:

This is how I see it. If they use that extra pick wisely the trade payed off big time.

I really don't know what to think of Guyton yet. Once again we picked a wild card. Yes I know, they basically all are, but he's again one of those "projects". Could still become a big one though. I say throw him right in there every game, so that he's ready for 2025.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score

Kiper:

C may be an overrated need from a Cowboys perspective if they like the options they have on the roster. However, getting that extra 3rd round pick may give them more flexibility to pick up a C if there's one they like. Also, the depth at C in this draft is better than OT. If the goal is to come out of this draft with both an OT and a C, it probably better getting the OT with the first pick and getting the C later.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

So when the lions offered the pick they moved down five spots and wagered that one of those four would drop.

He did in Tyler Guyton.

Turns out the four players were Tyler Guyton, Graham Barton, Jordan Morgan and DE Robinson.

Guyton was a target all along. Although not a 30 visit. Coaches did meet with Guyton at Combine and through zoom meetings. They also talked at the Senior Bowl and Guyton said that he and Solari had a great relationship.

A couple of other nuggets. Stephen said they were hoping to get that fourth round pick going into the draft but they did one better with the Lions trade by getting a third.

The trade, by the standard draft trade chart, was clearly a win for the Cowboys. Detroit wanted to move ahead of GB to get that DB so they overpaid some.

Something to consider as well. The majority of mock drafts by the pundits had the Cowboys taking Guyton at 24. But they got him at 29 and picked up a 3rd round pick. Actually a top half of the third round with a pick higher than the one they have.

It was also reported that even after the trade down to 29, they still got calls from teams trying to trade up but they stayed and got the player they wanted.
The trade was a clear win for Jerry and the Cowboys.

Unfortunately, as long as Jerry controls this team, it ain't doing squat, so I am not celebrating.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

He did in Tyler Guyton.

doesn't stop us from trying to get a fourth!