Bit of info on the trade down and target players

Smith22

Reaction score
The Guyton selection also speaks in part to how the team may feel about keeping Smith at Guard. While all of us armchair GMs/coaches had no issue playing the O-Line shell game, I think the Cowboys had very little interest in kicking Smith to Tackle.
Yeah. I think this shows the team had little interest in moving him out to tackle.

I think they see him as an all pro or better at guard.

boro

Reaction score
It’s been a while since we came out on the right side of a trade. It’s going to be a fun day today

CCBoy

Reaction score
They were talking on 105.3 the fan about the trade down.

During the press conference Stephen said they had four players the liked.

So when the lions offered the pick they moved down five spots and wagered that one of those four would drop.

He did in Tyler Guyton.

Turns out the four players were Tyler Guyton, Graham Barton, Jordan Morgan and DE Robinson.

Barton, Morgan and Robinson were taken....along with Detroit taking the DB.

Guyton was left and they put the card in.

Guyton was a target all along. Although not a 30 visit. Coaches did meet with Guyton at Combine and through zoom meetings. They also talked at the Senior Bowl and Guyton said that he and Solari had a great relationship.

A couple of other nuggets. Stephen said they were hoping to get that fourth round pick going into the draft but they did one better with the Lions trade by getting a third.

The trade, by the standard draft trade chart, was clearly a win for the Cowboys. Detroit wanted to move ahead of GB to get that DB so they overpaid some.

Something to consider as well. The majority of mock drafts by the pundits had the Cowboys taking Guyton at 24. But they got him at 29 and picked up a 3rd round pick. Actually a top half of the third round with a pick higher than the one they have.

It was also reported that even after the trade down to 29, they still got calls from teams trying to trade up but they stayed and got the player they wanted.
A 6'7" 330 pound mobile lineman who uses lower pad levels and likes physical! Grow!

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Yeah let’s not stop the run on defense and trade up to get an injured rb
Why do you need a run defense? Is it because it's important to force opposing offenses into being one-dimensional, making it easier to defend? This applies to the Cowboys, just the same as it does to their opponents. If we don't bring in a running back, we will be looking at a one dimensional offense with a shaky offensive line. You can't win games if you can't score points.

I want Brooks. He's a gamechanger with low mileage at a position that's known to wear out more quickly than others. If we don't get Brooks, we need to consider other options in the second. They screwed around and waited too long last year, and here we are, with no NFL starting running backs on the team. If you screw around at RB, you damn the season before it even started.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Why do you need a run defense? Is it because it's important to force opposing offenses into being one-dimensional, making it easier to defend? This applies to the Cowboys, just the same as it does to their opponents. If we don't bring in a running back, we will be looking at a one dimensional offense with a shaky offensive line. You can't win games if you can't score points.

I want Brooks. He's a gamechanger with low mileage at a position that's known to wear out more quickly than others. If we don't get Brooks, we need to consider other options in the second. They screwed around and waited too long last year, and here we are, with no NFL starting running backs on the team. If you screw around at RB, you damn the season before it even started.
I like him a lot also. He was a hard runner there at Texas.

StuckMojo

Reaction score

Brooks will probably not be ready to start due to the injury and damn sure don’t trade away a pick to get him.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Brooks will probably not be ready to start due to the injury and damn sure don’t trade away a pick to get him.
I didn't say anything about trading picks. It's going to depend on how the board falls, but if we need to trade up a few spots, im absolutely not opposed. The kid is a game changer, a star. Do you want that kind of player on the team, or some guy that may or may not be able to fill a need elsewhere? He is expected to be ready for camp, and by mid season, ge should be finding his stride as lead back. He should be running full throttle by the playoffs when we need him the most, and we'd have a cheap strong back for three more years.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I do not know if is true or not but word is that they were not high on JPJ in the first.

I am not sure if they would take him later or not.
Well, maybe I'm wrong about him or maybe there is something to the injury talk, but I see a very stout center.

Creeper

Reaction score
We don't know what the other teams were offering Dallas, but we have to give credit to the Joneses for being patient and getting the 3rd round pick. To me, the Cowboys need players at a bunch of positions who will play day 1 and become solid starters, at least. Barton is a potential pro-bowl caliber C. He is the best C in the class. Guyton is the 8th OT taken in the draft. Doesn't mean he can't develop into a solid starter, but I think the chances are Barton winds up being the better player when all is said and done. Of course, no one knows. Barton could also be a bust.

This draft is being dictated by the Cowboys lack of activity in free agency. The have a gaping hole at LT so they were almost forced into taking Guyton. The need a C too, but I am pretty sure they could go with Hoffman or even Bass if they had to.

I wonder what they would have done had someone taken Guyton in front of them? My guess is trade down again, maybe out of the first round.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Something to consider as well. The majority of mock drafts by the pundits had the Cowboys taking Guyton at 24. But they got him at 29 and picked up a 3rd round pick. Actually a top half of the third round with a pick higher than the one they have.
I haven't really followed anything draft related this year, but when looking at Mock Drafts, I was shocked to see what seemed over half had Guyton going to Dallas at 24. And about 10% of the time Dallas didn't draft Guyton in Mock Drafts, it was because he was already picked by another team before Dallas' pick.

I'm a little irritated that it seems like most people knew who the Cowboys wanted to pick, because that seems to happen more often than not, but I'm not upset with the Pick itself.

Just like Tyler Smith "was not a LT", he ended up playing LT pretty well his rookie year, especially considering he didn't take a single snap at LT during the Preseason.

If Guyton gets the snaps at LT in the offseason, he will not be perfect, but I think he will be pretty good. We will see.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
We don't know what the other teams were offering Dallas, but we have to give credit to the Joneses for being patient and getting the 3rd round pick. To me, the Cowboys need players at a bunch of positions who will play day 1 and become solid starters, at least. Barton is a potential pro-bowl caliber C. He is the best C in the class. Guyton is the 8th OT taken in the draft. Doesn't mean he can't develop into a solid starter, but I think the chances are Barton winds up being the better player when all is said and done. Of course, no one knows. Barton could also be a bust.

This draft is being dictated by the Cowboys lack of activity in free agency. The have a gaping hole at LT so they were almost forced into taking Guyton. The need a C too, but I am pretty sure they could go with Hoffman or even Bass if they had to.

I wonder what they would have done had someone taken Guyton in front of them? My guess is trade down again, maybe out of the first round.
I'm not sure that Barton is the best C in the class, but he was drafted like he was so what do I know.