Black Friday 2018

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Black Friday, slowly I turned, inch by inch, step by step...…

The year is 1967, when dinosaurs roamed the planet for some here, and my cousin is the buyer for Pfeifer's Dept Store in Little Rock, the original Dillard's, in men's furnishings and hires me to work during the holidays. The department is on the 1st floor with a side entrance with two glass doors. The entrance is in alcove kind of setting with walls on each side of the doors. Those doors would open at 10am and the gates of hell would be temporarily be closed. The demons would already be out.

As the new guy, I had to get there at 8am and begin stocking the floor displays with the sale merchandise, dress shirts, underwear, socks and ties on 6 different floor displays and all were football items. They were priced below cost to create traffic. It worked. This was the precursor to the Door Buster deals, a name with special meaning to me. As I pulled up to park, I noticed something odd. About 30 women outside the side entrance over two hours before the doors would open. Odd would grow throughout the morning to what the officer judged to be about 200 women just at the side entrance, all calmly standing in two lines, each direction, that went down the street and there was an uniformed officer out there to keep the peace. The operative word there is "out there" as I do not think that was his first rodeo. There were also security guards inside, well inside, and I thought they were there for shoplifters, wrong again.

My floor boss gave me the keys to open the doors and as I approached the doors, I happen to notice that all of the full time and experienced salespeople were hanging back. As I got about 20 feet from the door, I saw the orderly lines become a mass and actually saw the officer move back. At that moment, I think I knew exactly how Dr. Frankenstein felt as the townspeople marched on the castle.

The doors had locks in the middle and at the bottom and top and then both would be unlocked. Looking back upon it, I think it all started with the unlocking strategy, I should have gone in a different sequence. I went top, middle and bottom and when that last bolt slipped so smoothly, they timed their attack perfectly. I was crouched down and off balance, basketball drills for balance would come back to me later, and they either didn't see me or didn't care because the doors flew open and I flew with them.

I should have known that look of determination on their faces and known true fear but I was only 19 and inexperienced in just how fast and furious the fairer sex can be when there are deals to be had. It was a painful but valuable lesson. Never ever get between a woman and the object of her shopping.

I was slammed into the wall because I was off balance and cut my ear and head and almost lost consciousness and I was pinned between the glass door and my ankle was trapped between the door and edge of the wall and found out later that day there was a hairline fracture. I am yelling because I am in pain and a bit of a panic because I don't know if the glass door will hold. As I am yelling and obviously in pain, these women just continue to pour through the opening and attack, and I cannot think of a better word, the sale tables and there are two fights, I would learn later, that the security guards (now I knew why they were there) would have to break up and the officer outside, when he finally mustered up the courage to come in, would arrest one woman for assault....on one of the sales ladies. It was chaos and they actually had to wait to come help me because of the shopping frenzy of the crowd.

There was a valuable lesson to be learned here for a young man. The facial expressions on those women were horrifying and once I was married I learned to look for that when pushing the buttons and if my wife's face approached that, that was back off time for a young CC, if he was to become ole CC.

Xelda

Reaction score
One year I had a request to hit a Black Friday sale at a dark pre sun hour. I picked up the requested item and looked glassy eyed at the frenzy. I glanced at an area of interest but was so sleepy I didn't care if they were giving diamonds away. The store had the heater cranked up and the crowd only made the situation worse. Women were yelling to each other about sizes and colors. Apparently, they'd set up a system of working different sections of the store but dismissed the vitals of sizing and color. Dark thirty retail carnage is ugly and I refuse to participate.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
That's a every day of the year thing not just around the holidays.
Copy! ,,,er,,,although it is a newsflash to me! As my life's battle plan is singular in it's direction & seldom incorporates such newfangled concepts of monetary corner cuts into its line of Marcho_O

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Black Friday, slowly I turned, inch by inch, step by step...…

The year is 1967, when dinosaurs roamed the planet for some here, and my cousin is the buyer for Pfeifer's Dept Store in Little Rock, the original Dillard's, in men's furnishings and hires me to work during the holidays. The department is on the 1st floor with a side entrance with two glass doors. The entrance is in alcove kind of setting with walls on each side of the doors. Those doors would open at 10am and the gates of hell would be temporarily be closed. The demons would already be out.

As the new guy, I had to get there at 8am and begin stocking the floor displays with the sale merchandise, dress shirts, underwear, socks and ties on 6 different floor displays and all were football items. They were priced below cost to create traffic. It worked. This was the precursor to the Door Buster deals, a name with special meaning to me. As I pulled up to park, I noticed something odd. About 30 women outside the side entrance over two hours before the doors would open. Odd would grow throughout the morning to what the officer judged to be about 200 women just at the side entrance, all calmly standing in two lines, each direction, that went down the street and there was an uniformed officer out there to keep the peace. The operative word there is "out there" as I do not think that was his first rodeo. There were also security guards inside, well inside, and I thought they were there for shoplifters, wrong again.

My floor boss gave me the keys to open the doors and as I approached the doors, I happen to notice that all of the full time and experienced salespeople were hanging back. As I got about 20 feet from the door, I saw the orderly lines become a mass and actually saw the officer move back. At that moment, I think I knew exactly how Dr. Frankenstein felt as the townspeople marched on the castle.

The doors had locks in the middle and at the bottom and top and then both would be unlocked. Looking back upon it, I think it all started with the unlocking strategy, I should have gone in a different sequence. I went top, middle and bottom and when that last bolt slipped so smoothly, they timed their attack perfectly. I was crouched down and off balance, basketball drills for balance would come back to me later, and they either didn't see me or didn't care because the doors flew open and I flew with them.

I should have known that look of determination on their faces and known true fear but I was only 19 and inexperienced in just how fast and furious the fairer sex can be when there are deals to be had. It was a painful but valuable lesson. Never ever get between a woman and the object of her shopping.

I was slammed into the wall because I was off balance and cut my ear and head and almost lost consciousness and I was pinned between the glass door and my ankle was trapped between the door and edge of the wall and found out later that day there was a hairline fracture. I am yelling because I am in pain and a bit of a panic because I don't know if the glass door will hold. As I am yelling and obviously in pain, these women just continue to pour through the opening and attack, and I cannot think of a better word, the sale tables and there are two fights, I would learn later, that the security guards (now I knew why they were there) would have to break up and the officer outside, when he finally mustered up the courage to come in, would arrest one woman for assault....on one of the sales ladies. It was chaos and they actually had to wait to come help me because of the shopping frenzy of the crowd.

There was a valuable lesson to be learned here for a young man. The facial expressions on those women were horrifying and once I was married I learned to look for that when pushing the buttons and if my wife's face approached that, that was back off time for a young CC, if he was to become ole CC.
"67" ,,eh? Couch Coach,,, you could've put in for a purple heart,,, er,,, did this combat you encountered, with the subsequently resulting head wound transpire at the military post exchange in the Da Nang A.O. perchance?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"67" ,,eh? Couch Coach,,, you could've put in for a purple heart,,, er,,, did this combat you encountered, with the subsequently resulting head wound transpire at the military post exchange in the Da Nang A.O. perchance?
Melon, I would have been safer there. We would have won that war if they'd hidden sale items and turned those women loose. Of course, the reparation costs would have been greater.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
One year I had a request to hit a Black Friday sale at a dark pre sun hour. I picked up the requested item and looked glassy eyed at the frenzy. I glanced at an area of interest but was so sleepy I didn't care if they were giving diamonds away. The store had the heater cranked up and the crowd only made the situation worse. Women were yelling to each other about sizes and colors. Apparently, they'd set up a system of working different sections of the store but dismissed the vitals of sizing and color. Dark thirty retail carnage is ugly and I refuse to participate.
I assume that they just buy the item, and if it's the wrong size and color, return it later and swap it for the right one, at the same price.....Genius!

lukin2006

Reaction score
Can you really call it black Friday when many stores open on Thursday? I think society would be well served if there was at least 2 or 3 long weekends a year where only minimal services are available.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the wife and mother in law is going.
Wife wants a newer Ipad this year and they have one on sale.

I...I think I will just stay at home unless ordered to go. :D

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

How bad is the punishment for disobeying orders?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Stay in the vehicle and keep the motor running.

Ya see, I mastered this a long time ago as I am a guerilla shopper and have no patience so I was like taking a little kid shopping. However, I made up for that by meeting her for a nice lunch and taking the gifts back home to lighten her load so she could keep going at full speed.

John813

Reaction score
Nothing. After working one year in college at a JCPenny during black friday years ago I swore I would never be one of those shoppers.
Can't imagine how insane it is now. Felt bad for the closing staff and all the restocking they had to do.

Was a 4am to 2 or 3pm shift.

I did buy a Xbox 1 X at costco over the weekend at $399. Old one crapped out on Friday.

Xelda

Reaction score
Black Friday is like Shark Week but with women and sales replacing sharks and the food chain. God have mercy on the poor sales staff.