Blake Jarwin, outjumped by a 6' guy?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
We're so lucky that wasn't picked off. That was a bad decision.

Ironically it's the sort of high risk throw that people have been clamoring for Dak to make more of for the last two years. The DB won the battle for positioning twice.. He cut him off from getting to the corner then stepped back around him to get in front after the throw. Dak threw it up and back shoulder and tried to allow Jarwin to make the adjustment and make a play. Like I said earlier, I think Jarwin is going to have to make some spectacular plays for Dak to re-earn his trust in that situation again. The Cowboys need a red zone receiver in the worst way.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Jarwin isn't that type of receiver...but no one else on the Cowboys is that type of receiver either. He is not going to win a jumpball situation in the endzone, he looked uncomfortable doing it.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I’d like to see it again but I think there were other issues like him being off balance and it wasn’t just a pure jump ball from his POV.
exactly what i was thinking. I would have to watch the play again but off memory I believe Jarwin's momentum was not conducive to jumping straight vertical and certainly not back toward the ball & vertical.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Here's what actually happened with video. It looked like it was a corner route and the DB jumped it to beat Jarwin to the corner so all Dak could do (wisely) to have a chance was to throw the ball behind Jarwin where the DB wasn't. Because of this, Jarwin's timing of the jump was off which is why you see him coming down as the ball arrives. The corner was athletic enough to leap back the opposite way as well and got his hands on the ball. Luckily, the misdirection didn't allow him to get a good hold of the ball. So even if Dak threw the ball higher, it simply would have gone out the end zone.

Jarwin-A-1-R.gif
No matter what that is some serious hops by the DB. Neither of them was in a great position or had their feet set to jump but the DB gets up and almost lands on his head! I don't even think it was necessarily a bad decision, Dak just did not realize the ups on the DB.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
exactly what i was thinking. I would have to watch the play again but off memory I believe Jarwin's momentum was not conducive to jumping straight vertical and certainly not back toward the ball & vertical.

I have watched it about 20 times now.. Jarwin was working towards the back corner of the end zone but he got cut off by the DB and could not get there. I believe Dak saw that the defender was out in front so threw the ball behind, which is where Jarwin was.. Unfortunately Jarwin jumped too soon and was unable to come back to the ball so the DB outmaneuvered him again and got back in front and got hands on the ball. Now clearly Adderley is the better athlete than Jarwin.. and therein lies the problem. We need an "athlete" for the red zone .. failing that we need a crafty veteran like Witten.. Some how, some way we need a red zone threat who can win those 50/50 balls. If not we're going to continue to have these red zone problems.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Serious question.. who here doubts for a second that if that ball is thrown up to pre-injury Dez that he comes down with that ball and makes the DB look like a little kid in the process?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I have watched it about 20 times now.. Jarwin was working towards the back corner of the end zone but he got cut off by the DB and could not get there. I believe Dak saw that the defender was out in front so threw the ball behind, which is where Jarwin was.. Unfortunately Jarwin jumped too soon and was unable to come back to the ball so the DB outmaneuvered him again and got back in front and got hands on the ball. Now clearly Adderley is the better athlete than Jarwin.. and therein lies the problem. We need an "athlete" for the red zone .. failing that we need a crafty veteran like Witten.. Some how, some way we need a red zone threat who can win those 50/50 balls. If not we're going to continue to have these red zone problems.

I'm not sure I would get to that conclusion from one play. We've seen Jarwin go up before. I think I would chalk this one up to good play by the defender & QB had to make a decision. Throw high & toward back of endzone where play was designed to go. (This would have probably given Jarwin better chance in retrospect & kept ball out of harms way). Or throw lower & to the inside hoping Jarwin can break off the route & get into box out position. I don't see enough to blame anyone too harshly.

No doubt we need better red zone production though.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I'm not sure I would get to that conclusion from one play. We've seen Jarwin go up before. I think I would chalk this one up to good play by the defender & QB had to make a decision. Throw high & toward back of endzone where play was designed to go. (This would have probably given Jarwin better chance in retrospect & kept ball out of harms way). Or throw lower & to the inside hoping Jarwin can break off the route & get into box out position. I don't see enough to blame anyone too harshly.

No doubt we need better red zone production though.

You have to go back and watch the play again. The DB had cut Jarwin off from the corner route. Throwing it back there let's the DB run under it and make an easy INT. Dak attempts to "throw him open" by throwing it shorter and high.. figuring the 6'6" guy would be able to win the jump ball. I do think the big issue was that Jarwin just mis-timed his jump AND couldn't get his momentum moving back towards the ball. Again to me it comes down to athleticism. A better athlete makes that adjustment and makes the catch. But then again maybe the better athlete doesn't get cut off on the route in the first place. Either way.. in the end it's something we need to get better at.. Period..

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Jarwin mistimed his jump, and was going backwards. He didn’t get out jumped, he just failed miserably

McKDaddy

Reaction score
You have to go back and watch the play again. The DB had cut Jarwin off from the corner route. Throwing it back there let's the DB run under it and make an easy INT. Dak attempts to "throw him open" by throwing it shorter and high.. figuring the 6'6" guy would be able to win the jump ball. I do think the big issue was that Jarwin just mis-timed his jump AND couldn't get his momentum moving back towards the ball. Again to me it comes down to athleticism. A better athlete makes that adjustment and makes the catch. But then again maybe the better athlete doesn't get cut off on the route in the first place. Either way.. in the end it's something we need to get better at.. Period..

You feel stronger about it than I do. That's fair. Like you said in post 41, Dak has been rightfully criticized for not being willing \ able to put the ball into tight windows in the redzone. So, I can fully believe he was trying to adjust the throw to give Jarwin a chance. Like I said, I don't fault him for that. But I can't fault Jarwin too much either as he and the defender are jostling while he is trying to break off his route, regain position and give Dak a target. Lot going on in about a half second.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I guess basically what I'm saying is Jarwin has to fight to get that inside position and not just let a guy 6 inches shorter and 50 pounds lighter body him out. Like I said, it's an art. If that's Witten that DB gets hip checked out of the picture and it's an easy TD. :laugh:
Again totally agree. It was an interception almost because the receiver didn’t do what he was supposed to do . Again I agree with that 100%

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Here's what actually happened with video. It looked like it was a corner route and the DB jumped it to beat Jarwin to the corner so all Dak could do (wisely) to have a chance was to throw the ball behind Jarwin where the DB wasn't. Because of this, Jarwin's timing of the jump was off which is why you see him coming down as the ball arrives. The corner was athletic enough to leap back the opposite way as well and got his hands on the ball. Luckily, the misdirection didn't allow him to get a good hold of the ball. So even if Dak threw the ball higher, it simply would have gone out the end zone.

Jarwin-A-1-R.gif
I Watched it in slow motion seven times. Tight end jumped to early. While he was on his way down. The defender cut in front of him and jumped up.

GMO415

Reaction score
Jarwin got paid so what do you expect? Culture hasn't changed.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ironically it's the sort of high risk throw that people have been clamoring for Dak to make more of for the last two years. The DB won the battle for positioning twice.. He cut him off from getting to the corner then stepped back around him to get in front after the throw. Dak threw it up and back shoulder and tried to allow Jarwin to make the adjustment and make a play. Like I said earlier, I think Jarwin is going to have to make some spectacular plays for Dak to re-earn his trust in that situation again. The Cowboys need a red zone receiver in the worst way.
I don’t think it was a bad decision by Prescott at all. I think it was a poorly timed jump by our receiver

USArmyVet

Reaction score

Jarwin-A-1-R.gif

Dak stared Jarwin down the whole time, completely ignoring that Lamb was open in the right flat.