Bland needed this butt-kicking

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
He'll grow from this experience and become a complete shutdown CB. Just remember that Diggs had growing pains too!
This is nonsense imo. He's no high draft pick and at the beginning of his career. He's playing way over expectations and we're super lucky that he does. No butt kicking needed. I hope he will continue to develop the way he has. But he's already been a success story no matter how this ends. Especially against teams like the Eagles you can't expect him to save the world.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What makes you think that? Diggs will be coming off an injury that you don't just spring back from. He will take time to rehabilitate and become again what he once was. Meanwhile, Bland will be starting next year at least for the first part of the season. We need to just hope we can get Gilmore back next season.
Since I posted this I was informed Gilmore only signed a 1 year deal so he is prob the odd man out. Unless he’s willing to take a lesser deal in a more backup role. Thanks

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Metcalf was a bad matchup for bland. Took way too long for coaches to switch things up. Bland was much better after the switch.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
A lot of these takes are bad. Guy got outworked by a mini Megatron (Metcalf is 6'3 235 and runs a 4.3) there are a handful of guys like that in the NFL and Bland couldn't really match his strength (still covered him well.) I'm not going to lie I also saw guys (no idea how often it was him) getting cooked by Lockett/JSN but some of those routes were NASTY. The Metcalf catches were really just being more physical than Bland.

Exactly, and it is bound to happen from time to time. As the OP said, Bland will learn from this game, and his interception was excellent. I think he will be alright, and it's best to get this in now before our next game. If he can learn quickly from Metcalf, then he stands a better chance at handling AJ Brown from the experience he now has with Metcalf.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Since I posted this I was informed Gilmore only signed a 1 year deal so he is prob the odd man out. Unless he’s willing to take a lesser deal in a more backup role. Thanks
Yes, I am aware Gilmore is only on a one-year deal worth $9.9 million. It's the reason I said we need to hope we can get him back for next year. The FO needs to get on that. He'll be needed.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Yeah, even calling Revis a shutdown corner was overselling it a bit.
In his prime, Revis' defensive coordinators would not even try to hide the fact that they were leaving Revis 1-on-1 on many plays, rolling the safeties down and to the other side of the field, pre-snap. No deception. The thought before the play was, "So Revis is going to take care of this WR or half of the field himself, so all we have to do is cover the middle of the field and the other side."

Revis was left on an island on a lot of plays, with no safety help, and the offense knew it before they snapped the ball. And many times they STILL wouldn't throw over there. Revis was indeed a shutdown CB right there.

And it didn't last forever, but in his prime, he was certainly a shutdown man-based corner.

Deion was the same in his prime. We haven't had many in the league in the last 25 years, it's a rare bird. Darrell Green, Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson all had stints in their careers as pure shutdown CBs too.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
In his prime, Revis' defensive coordinators would not even try to hide the fact that they were leaving Revis 1-on-1 on many plays, rolling the safeties down and to the other side of the field, pre-snap. No deception. The thought before the play was, "So Revis is going to take care of this WR or half of the field himself, so all we have to do is cover the middle of the field and the other side."

Revis was left on an island on a lot of plays, with no safety help, and the offense knew it before they snapped the ball. And many times they STILL wouldn't throw over there. Revis was indeed a shutdown CB right there.

And it didn't last forever, but in his prime, he was certainly a shutdown man-based corner.

Deion was the same in his prime. We haven't had many in the league in the last 25 years, it's a rare bird. Darrell Green, Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson all had stints in their careers as pure shutdown CBs too.
Sure, Revis and the others had there times, but Deion was the only true shutdown corner. Revis was great, don't get me wrong, but he was no Primetime.