Bland needed this butt-kicking

bottleKids

Reaction score
I honestly rather him have a bad game in a win than a loss obviously, but yeah he played ok and had a pick. Can't expect perfection each week.

infamousstyles

Reaction score
It was bound to happen with the additional spotlight he was getting but despite that he battled and got an INT. The guy was thrown into the fire and has exceeded everyone's expectations.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
hes not a rookie, this is his 2nd year
okay, should I say this is his first season as a starter? Is that better? Guess we should expect him to have no issues covering DJ seeing that every other DB in the league contains him....

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
okay, should I say this is his first season as a starter? Is that better? Guess we should expect him to have no issues covering DJ seeing that every other DB in the league contains him....
Yeah cause that would be correct.

Ward last week kept him in check, 3 for 9 for 32 yards.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
A lot of these takes are bad. Guy got outworked by a mini Megatron (Metcalf is 6'3 235 and runs a 4.3) there are a handful of guys like that in the NFL and Bland couldn't really match his strength (still covered him well.) I'm not going to lie I also saw guys (no idea how often it was him) getting cooked by Lockett/JSN but some of those routes were NASTY. The Metcalf catches were really just being more physical than Bland.
For the most part he was right there with Metcalf. He just got beat to the ball by one of the best athletes on the planet. Occasionally there will be days like that.

The Seahawks just have a nasty group of 3 receivers that quite frankly no one is going to be able to shutdown completely if Geno can put the ball on them.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Yeah cause that would be correct.

Ward last week kept him in check, 3 for 9 for 32 yards.
Can't compare a 1st year starter to a 6th year Vet, who may or not be playing at the elite level expected of him. Just silly to think Bland was thrown into this, and should be expected to contain DJ

ottawacowpoke

Reaction score
It turns out that being placed 1on1 on a 6’4” freak of an athlete WR is about the most challenging thing in sports. Bland isn’t built to press and cover that kind of WR, very few corners are. That’s not what he’s here to do.
This. Terrible match up for Bland.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I played corner in middle school, high school and college. There are game like this, you just have to push through. It the hardest postion to play in football. I give the kid his props. He did not sink into a hole on his off night!
Also I feel like that touchdown was just an amazing player making an amazing play, it happens . They’re pros too

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Horrible first half for Bland. It was a total nightmare! By far the worst game of his career. He may have been feeling a little too good about himself after all the accolades the past month. He gave up more receiving yards in the first half than any corner has given up in an entire game this season. he played better in the second half and got a pick but his overall performance will probably cost him any real shot at DPOY. There were a number of fans last week claiming he was a shut down corner. I argued he wasn’t and we saw that last night.

JustChip

Reaction score
A lot of these takes are bad. Guy got outworked by a mini Megatron (Metcalf is 6'3 235 and runs a 4.3) there are a handful of guys like that in the NFL and Bland couldn't really match his strength (still covered him well.) I'm not going to lie I also saw guys (no idea how often it was him) getting cooked by Lockett/JSN but some of those routes were NASTY. The Metcalf catches were really just being more physical than Bland.
Add to it that Geno was throwing dimes. The ball to Metcalf for the 75 yard TD was absolutely perfect - in front of him and in stride which is near indefensible for a WR with Metcalf’s speed. The ball to the end-zone that was first ruled a catch and overturned was another near perfect pass. And Geno threw that fading back and all arm. That’s Geno - he can get in a zone and be lights out; and he can be simply pedestrian.

Last edited:

CoachD

Reaction score
He got abused last night and to be honest with you against the "Commanders" as well.

blueblood70

Reaction score
For the most part he was right there with Metcalf. He just got beat to the ball by one of the best athletes on the planet. Occasionally there will be days like that.

The Seahawks just have a nasty group of 3 receivers that quite frankly no one is going to be able to shutdown completely if Geno can put the ball on them.
Right and I believe the Detroit Lions and the Miami Dolphins have a very similar offense and probably very similar defenses we don't want these games to be looking like this so Dan Quinn needs to change the way he calls the defense play more zone less man more double teams... This game should wake up Dan Quinn and I think we probably match up against the Eagles and bills because they don't have you know a stacked offense you know with two to three wide receivers deep at all times and if you don't get pressure you get burned.. However go look at Miami and Detroit they got fast twitchy running backs and they're two to three deep at wide receiver I mean they look like Seattle on offense we better get our proverbial shiz together because this defense is susceptible it's a long time of possession scoring drives way too often...

DFWJC

Reaction score
He never was a shut-down corner. He's just a very good player that has great ball-hawk skills.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Add to it that Geno was throwing dimes. The ball to Metcalf for the 75 yard TD was absolutely perfect - in front of him and in stride which is near indefensible for a WR with Metcalf’s speed. The ball to the end-zone that was first ruled a catch and overturned was another near perfect pass. And Geno threw that fading back and all arm. That’s Geno - he can get in a zone and be lights out; and he can be simply pedestrian.
Game of the year from Geno.
He's been up and down, but he was very UP last night. He did that with heavy all-night pressure too. 2 second stuff.
Our guy has it good in that regard. Drop back and file nails then pass to open guy.

Both QBs played great

bigE79

Reaction score
I remember how Micheal used to own Deon...it happens to the best of them, bland will be fine and on a side note,Lewis and gilly look real good imo

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

You know he got cooked for 8 catches and 120 yards the previous week, right?

Metcalf wasn’t the only guy he was covering last night too.

Nobody is a bigger Bland fan than me, but it’s okay to call it like it is. Remove the pick-6 last week and yesterday’s interception he’s been getting baked the past two game.

I’m waiting on more sources for the numbers to come out from yesterday’s game (NextGenStats has him giving up 10 catches for 141 yards and 2 TDs) but I think he’s somewhere around 18 catches for nearly 300 yards and multiple touchdowns the past two games.

stiletto

Reaction score
Guy is a 2nd year player that was selected on Day 3 in the draft. The fact he has done what he has up to this point is a miracle. He will have some growing pains but it is pretty clear he can get better. No one played great on Defense vs the Seahawks. Was a bad night all around on D.