Video: Blandino tells officials only the Dallas coaches don't understand the catch rule

gmoney112

Reaction score
This is amazing.

The head of the unit that's supposed to be the most objective, in a billion dollar industry, just basically put his bias on display in a public forum.

I never really thought officiating was biased against Dallas, but this honestly swayed my opinion from unlikely to probable.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Blandino: "Control plus two feet plus time. And the time element, in the exercise we've done with all the coaches -- I know I've had them, and the other guys that have done this meeting with the coaches --we've had this 'Aha!' moment in the meetings with the coaching staffs, except for this one staff that is near here...um, in this city...But, this 'Aha!' moment, 'Oh, we get it now. We understand.'"
http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v628/cowboyszone/thread_stuff/bundy_suck.jpg

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, I think we can all at least agree that the call was indisputable anyway.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Wow. That is UTTERLY unprofessional no matter WHICH staff he's referring to. We need to get over this THIS year and tell him to bugger off with plays that don't need a judgement call.

How about he league fires him for not being able to do his job without bias????:rolleyes:

phildadon86

Reaction score
How can he get away with saying this and not be fined and or dismissed? Shows he has bias. Not good

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
The call on the field was a catch...it shouldn't have been overturned. Had they called it incomplete on the field there would not have been irrefutable evidence to overturn that call either.

Completely different reaction for ME if they had initially ruled the catch incomplete. I'd still be mad, but at least they would have initially called it incomplete at game-speed.

slick325

Reaction score
Completely different reaction for ME if they had initially ruled the catch incomplete. I'd still be mad, but at least they would have initially called it incomplete at game-speed.

I hear ya casmith07. I would have been disappointed had they called incomplete on the field and upheld it on review. But, I would have accepted that there wasn't irrefutable evidence to overturn the referee's game speed assessment. This still bothers me because Blandino in effect neutered the game officials that day. He essentially said..."you don't know what you're doing despite your years of experience and being selected to officiate playoff games because of how well you officiated this season and despite being in perfect position to make the call...so let me tell you what you should say."

Trust the officials judgment unless it is irrefutable e.g. the Randall Cobb "reception" in the 1st half.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I hear ya casmith07. I would have been disappointed had they called incomplete on the field and upheld it on review. But, I would have accepted that there wasn't irrefutable evidence to overturn the referee's game speed assessment. This still bothers me because Blandino in effect neutered the game officials that day. He essentially said..."you don't know what you're doing despite your years of experience and being selected to officiate playoff games because of how well you officiated this season and despite being in perfect position to make the call...so let me tell you what you should say."

Trust the officials judgment unless it is irrefutable e.g. the Randall Cobb "reception" in the 1st half.

Absolutely!

mugsybows

Reaction score
I could see him wearing out his welcome and the NFL going with ya know a person that understands football within the next couple of years. I don't know anyone who doesn't consider the dude a complete joke and his Interpretations of the rules are really bad for business.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I've personally been on that one more than the Dez "no catch". The Cobb catch bounced off the ground and it was easy to see.

After Detroit, there was no way Blandino was walking away from that game with people again saying he favored Dallas. It just wasn't going to happen. Anything that was close was going against Dallas that day. Period.

It is a shame too because Dallas already had Lambeau and the single digit temperatures against it. Having to overcome the referees too was simply a bridge too far.

I'm not one to blame the officials for losses. As a matter of fact, I actively guard against it. However, on that day Dallas 100% had to beat the Ref's too.