Blowing up this team is getting closer

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Jerry is to old to blow it up....it won't happen until many of you get your wish and Jerry is no longer around. Stephen will then blow it up to save his inheritance that he will now have to share with another sister.
I’m praying his sister is the boss. It’s the only hope the organization has for the future.

Wizarus

Reaction score
Team makes too much money to blow it up. The sad reality.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You don't extend Dak if you plan to blow up the roster in 2025. Extending Dak will tell everyone all the BS coming out of the Jones Boys mouths is just that, a load of BS
You should be happy. All you do here is crap on the Cowboys.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I understand the “blow up“ sentiments expressed here. But if we pay attention to what the Cowboys have done - the last two decades at least - is never blow it up and rebuild. Jerry won’t do it. He literally does not know how.

But after the most embarrassing playoff loss in Cowboys history, there are zero signs of this owner and his giggling son having any sense of humility or accountability for that horrific performance last January.

Serious question: When was the last intentional rebuild this franchise has done? All the “rebuilds” I can think of were accidents. Like 2016. I don't honestly believe that this front office led by the Jones Boys has the foggiest idea of how to “blow up” a team a rebuild. They have never don’t it alone. Jimmy led the last great intentional rebuild this team had back in the early 90s when they had no choice.
Last rebuild started in 2001.

kskboys

Reaction score
I understand the “blow up“ sentiments expressed here. But if we pay attention to what the Cowboys have done - the last two decades at least - is never blow it up and rebuild. Jerry won’t do it. He literally does not know how.

But after the most embarrassing playoff loss in Cowboys history, there are zero signs of this owner and his giggling son having any sense of humility or accountability for that horrific performance last January.

Serious question: When was the last intentional rebuild this franchise has done? All the “rebuilds” I can think of were accidents. Like 2016. I don't honestly believe that this front office led by the Jones Boys has the foggiest idea of how to “blow up” a team a rebuild. They have never don’t it alone. Jimmy led the last great intentional rebuild this team had back in the early 90s when they had no choice.
They have no idea how to build, rebuild, or run an NFL franchise for that matter. The refusal to rebuild has cost us dearly, no Champ game appearances. Hades, we even kept Mike Jenkins when a 2nd was offered, and his replacements were already on the roster!!!!

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Really the only options they have
1. Extend Dak and maintain what we currently have in hopes that we might catch lightening in a bottle and suddenly stumble our way into a super bowl
2. Get rid of Dak, go cheaper at the QB position while bolstering everything else around the QB position - sort of like the 49-ers. Not sure if we have the coaching staff for that though. Certainly don't have the front office that can make the aggressive moves to patch holes in the team
3. Complete tear down and rebuild - this will require looking at a horizon of failed years.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Not to mention that Jerry doesn't have that kind of time left in his life, in all likelihood.

Big_D

Reaction score
If they extend Dak, those lean years are around the corner when you can’t push that money any further down the road.

Proof

Reaction score
i have zero idea what to expect honestly, but the team is definitely in a precarious position. dak proving to falter when it matters most is obviously the biggest domino, if they don’t extend him the cap hit is ginormous even with an exploding cap. if they extend him they’re hitching their wagon to a guy who has shown time and time again he can’t get over the hump.

our best young players are due for mega contracts removing a small competitive advantage we’ve had that we weren’t able to capitalize on, and we only have a handful of picks in what is a relative make or break draft. on top of a lame duck hc

whew. unenviable to say the least. with that said, i felt that way heading into 2014 after cutting ware and losing sean lee and they put together one of their best seasons in recent memory. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really the only options they have
1. Extend Dak and maintain what we currently have in hopes that we might catch lightening in a bottle and suddenly stumble our way into a super bowl
2. Get rid of Dak, go cheaper at the QB position while bolstering everything else around the QB position - sort of like the 49-ers. Not sure if we have the coaching staff for that though. Certainly don't have the front office that can make the aggressive moves to patch holes in the team
3. Complete tear down and rebuild - this will require looking at a horizon of failed years.
The Jones boys don’t know how to build a complimentary roster that competes in the playoffs. They draft guys they can market, win just enough to keep things interesting but in the end they are clueless about how to build a complete roster that can compete with other playoff teams.

Sadly, the Jones boys are fantasy football players who own and control an NFL franchise. They love “playing with their toy” that prints money for them while they get to cosplay NFL executives. Our only hope is luck. We have to hope somehow this team just gets lucky and catches lightening in a bottle. Because they literally don’t know how to build a championship roster (without a ton of help they no longer want) or they would have already done it.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
I don’t think the roster gets blown. It likely will just atrophy away over the next several seasons. What indication has the front office given that they’re willing to make bold moves?

CowboyChris

Reaction score
no need to blow up the whole roster, we need to trade a couple of pieces and get some draft capital, because we are too broke to try and compete in FA, except when it comes bargain bin shopping at the dollar tree

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
How do you know an apple tree is an apple tree? The tree can say all it wants it is an orange tree but the EVIDENCE that it is an apple tree is by the fruit the tree produces.
Jerry can spit out all the cliches he wants to continue pulling in the media to give his #1 Sports franchise all the prime time games. The fans will fall for the bait--again--buying the pyrite only to be in the same position again (2025) for the 29th season.

The franchise has holes in many areas, with another opening up at LT. The hopes of this player and that player, who are on the team now, are thrown around.

Unless this team gives Prescott the extension, freeing up salary cap space, the carnival owners will be shopping at Dollar General even more with the lack of draft picks to plug the dyke.

So blowing up this team is getting closer with many coaches on 1yr/lame duck contracts. Players making big money and not getting it done, on the field. The inevitable is coming

--- Mock away, it is what the board does best
I don't understand why we have to "blow up" anything. Can't you rebuild without having to start from scratch? Everybody else does it. Cowboys seem to be doing quite well. You can stay competitive without firing everyone on the roster.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Jerry is to old to blow it up....it won't happen until many of you get your wish and Jerry is no longer around. Stephen will then blow it up to save his inheritance that he will now have to share with another sister.
Maybe or maybe he has come to a similar conclusion to many regarding QB pricing, roster building, and winning high stakes games.

If not blowing up at least some sanity when it comes return to cost.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Dak has to decide if he’s going to be reasonable with his contract demand or try to hold the team over a barrel. If he wants to be the highest paid QB in the league, then we eat his cap hit and can’t sign guys like Tyron Smith.

IMO, being the QB of the Dallas Cowboys has enormous off field value. He earns an additional 50M a year in endorsements. That money isn’t there if he’s the QB of the Atlanta Falcons or most other teams. Jerry needs to leverage that and at least make Daks agent believe Dallas does have the option of not extending his contract. It would help tremendously if he would just shut the hell up and stop publicly talking about it.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I don't trust this team to find the next QB. After Aikman, there was zero plan. A whole slew of terrible QBs, way too many to name. Romo stayed on the roster because Parcells and Payton saw something in him but even then, he was about to get cut until Quincy Carter got arrested and never played for Dallas again. Still has to endure a washed up Testaverde and then an end of career Bledsoe before Parcells had enough.

Romo's injuries led to Dak getting the start in 2016. Dak nor Romo were ever supposed to be the guys. Backups that were thrown in because we had no other options at the time and their play early on kept them as the starter for years to come. But both are flawed QBs and their ceiling is a few wild card wins here and there.

Meanwhile all the other contending teams, drafted their guy to be the starter and built the team around them. We haven't did this in over 3 decades when Aikman was drafted.

Unless we are to believe Lance is going to take the job? He was terrible in SF to the point they just wanted pennies on the dollar to get rid of him.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
The Jones boys don’t know how to build a complimentary roster that competes in the playoffs. They draft guys they can market, win just enough to keep things interesting but in the end they are clueless about how to build a complete roster that can compete with other playoff teams.

Sadly, the Jones boys are fantasy football players who own and control an NFL franchise. They love “playing with their toy” that prints money for them while they get to cosplay NFL executives. Our only hope is luck. We have to hope somehow this team just gets lucky and catches lightening in a bottle. Because they literally don’t know how to build a championship roster (without a ton of help they no longer want) or they would have already done it.
Totally agree. The lack of any thought into what is happening day to day. Thin at LB who cares. We lost LVE for the season....ah just make do with what we have. Dak craps the bed every big playoff game - give him an extension and reset the QB market. Incompetence is the only thing Jerry and Co do well.