Bob Sturm on Tyron Smith

Brooksey

Reaction score
Just one game but my goodness they ate him alive. :banghead: Not sure what to think, one bad game, not a good RT or declining but either, we are better off with him LT or swing, that's it period.

I'm kicking this in for reference

Really bad post because it's a false narrative. This is Bosa's highlights of the playoff game which included one tackle, one pressure and zero sacks.

Now show Tyron's highlights of that game which was the majority of the snaps, he handled Bosa just fine, in fact most around the league say he won the matchup.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Anyone that really knows football knows its not easy to transition from LT to RT......
Does the opposing team's best rusher come from left tackle's or the right tackle's side mostly, then?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Good Lord, picking on Tyron when the entire line looked like they didn't know what they were doing.

Play 1: Dak HAS to see the blitz coming off the line. Blocking assignments were already set and in motion. You can fault Tyron for not breaking off his assignment but that blitz was so quick, the Tyron of today probably gets beat on that play 4 out of five times, especially at RT.

Play 2: Tyron and Zach get fooled on a stunt. Give credit to the rushing defenders, they did a great job at the point of attack. But both of our guys looked bad on that play, really bad. About the only two RT's I could see recovering to make the play are Johnson and Wirfs.

Play 3: *** was that? 49er defender attacks the gap between Zach and Tyron, while our center gets to the next level without touching a single player and not realizing the play is getting blown up. Tyler does his best while the LG is getting totally owned. Of course, the RB, instead of seeing the blocker running behind the line to seal off the defender on the far right, decides to just plow into the disaster in front of him and goes nowhere.

Play 4: Tyron is beat, period. But Dak should have seen the back right in his line of sight open for a gain.

Play 5: Tyron held up his man for 3 secs but gets overwhelmed. Kudos to Tyler, nice job on that play. A chip on the way out by the back would have been nice to help out Tyron, it's not like Zeke did much else.

Play 6: Tyron did his job. Dak looks like he panicked...or was looking for the invisible TE. Looks as if the 49ers DB's had very good coverage.

The 49ers have a top tier defense, and they are paid to play just like our guys. I'm glad we didn't resign Schultz. He stole money that game. Let's also not forget that Tyron was playing RT and had little prep time for what was coming. Some of that is coaching.
Most drop backs are seven steps and then two steps back up into the pocket...how does that match with this, then?

SexyDexy52

Reaction score
exactly. he wasn't that good as a RT. he seemed lost. he also looked like he didn't have much power in his lower leg and his movement was limited. his base was weak
I'd say you are exactly right as far as his technique goes. And honestly, I think that's ok given that his hamstring had been torn away from the bone less than 8 months earlier. I don't think he was intentionally skipping leg day, hahaha, more like in order to heal properly he wasn't allowed to work his legs as if he was preparing for the season for much of his recovery time, but instead was just trying to get the muscle back healthy and strong for the long term. By this upcoming season I expect his base and leg strength will be back to what we have come to expect from the hall of famer.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I'd say you are exactly right as far as his technique goes. And honestly, I think that's ok given that his hamstring had been torn away from the bone less than 8 months earlier. I don't think he was intentionally skipping leg day, hahaha, more like in order to heal properly he wasn't allowed to work his legs as if he was preparing for the season for much of his recovery time, but instead was just trying to get the muscle back healthy and strong for the long term. By this upcoming season I expect his base and leg strength will be back to what we have come to expect from the hall of famer.
after 13 years, his natural position is LT, it will take an off season and preseason for him to adjust to RT position. with Steele coming back, we probably will be better off, depending on how Steele has recovered.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The premise of this thread is completely wrong

First of all, that’s 6 bad snaps in an entire game

Secondly, Bob states specifically that the hate T. Smith is receiving is NOT warranted - based solely on his play.

So not sure what the OP is talking about here.
I think it is also worth pointing out that 3 of those "bad" snaps are not even bad.

Loso86

Reaction score
I was told on here it was because he was rusty. Tyron gets alot of excuses on here.
Alot of people on here who's never played think uts so easy for a guy who's been LT his entire career to just switch it up to RT and play at the same level while Injury prone and aging lol. It's not excuses just facts!

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Alot of people on here who's never played think uts so easy for a guy who's been LT his entire career to just switch it up to RT and play at the same level while Injury prone and aging lol. It's not excuses just facts!
In the playoff game in 2021 he was trash too. What was that reason? I know I know, rust. If only we had Trent williams

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I was told on here it was because he was rusty. Tyron gets alot of excuses on here.

He's not Rusty, I'm Rusty lol. In all seriousness, I could see it being rust, but then I'm sure we will find out this year. Especially as it's contract year for him.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Recalling prior developments of past offensive linemen is relevant right now. Developing quality linemen has been a past practice that has paid off. There are quite a few linemen right now that will be in full competitions and hoping ti fill in and become quality roster members as well for the offensive strength.

Here are three positional changes that blossomed through dedication and developing.

Defensive Tackle Blaine Nye

5th round pick in 1968, Nye played primarily on special teams his first two seasons. In 1970, he switched to offensive guard. He was named All-Pro in 1972, and named to the Pro Bowl in 1976. He retired after the 1976 season, after helping the Cowboys to three Super Bowls. He was replaced in 1977 by Tom Rafferty.

Defensive Tackle Pat Donovan

Donovan, drafted in the 4th round, was switched to offensive tackle in 1975, and played backup his first two seasons. Ultimately, he became the starting Left Tackle for the Cowboys, was selected to 4 Pro Biels, and helped the Cowboys win a Super Bowl in the 1977 season. He helped pave the way for Tony Dorset’s HOF career.

Defensive Tackle Mark Tuinei

Although drafted in the USFL, Tuinei opted to sign an undrafted free agent contract, made the team as a defensive tackle in 1983. After spending two years playing mostly on special teams, he switched to Oline, and played all 3 positions. He ultimately settled in at Left Tackle, and was part of the Great Wall of Dallas, leading the Cowboys to three Super Bowls in the 90’s, and blocking for 4 rushing titles by HOF RB Emmitt Smith

https://cowboysfanzone.com/remembering-past-cowboy-position-changes-x511343/

Verdict

Reaction score
Tyron is just about done and it’s not because of his “availability”, it’s because his skills are rapidly eroding. Of course his availability also is not very good.