Bobby Carpenter: Is it just me?

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I'm not gonna lie. I would like to see a little more from Carpenter. But he's shown a few flashes where he is in position to make the play but was just a second too late. I'm hopeful he'll turn it around and am far from panicking.

Heck, I posted either today or yesterday about still being hopeful with Green, believing that the few big gainers he has had illustrate his potential. Why would I give up on Carpenter yet not on Green?

My biggest question involves what his role will ultimately be. Is he now a permanent fixture inside? Or is moving/playing him outside still a possibility?

The reason I ask is because when we drafted him, my expectation was that he'd provide a pass-rushing presence opposite Ware. But unlike Ware, more of a pure pass rusher learning to do other things at the position, Carpenter would provide less raw burst but more overall skills outside. This was my justification for passing on a player like Lawson.

Now, it appears we have hit on an outside 'backer in Ellis. So I'm curious what Carpenter's role will be inside, especially since we have James and Ayodele.

The good news is we have a lot of talented bodies. I mean, our backups right now include Carpenter, Singleton and Burnett. Heck, we'd have four starting caliber backups if not for trading away Shanle.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Three year rule is fine TB. No argument with that. And I've stated BC could end up as a solid Bradie James type. Just saying, if we expect an impact vet like DeMarcus Ware, we're not going to get it. Wimbley looks to be the man in that category. I think the best argument would be that we couldn't afford to trade up for him, not to defend BC to the dying breath. Meh, I'm done for, I can see this is a no win situation. I'll bow out of this one.

Oh I see what you mean, but trading picks is not always an easy option...

We are still yet to see Wimbley in regular season, and while he may do well, we don't know just yet...

You guys have been around long enough to know I am not a homer on Cowboys picks, but I'd like the think we can trust the direction we are going...

Give it a chance to work out... I honestly think most of these kids won't make an impact until they get some experience, regardless of what round they are taken in...

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Dale said:
I'm not gonna lie. I would like to see a little more from Carpenter. But he's shown a few flashes where he is in position to make the play but was just a second too late. I'm hopeful he'll turn it around and am far from panicking.

Heck, I posted either today or yesterday about still being hopeful with Green, believing that the few big gainers he has had illustrate his potential. Why would I give up on Carpenter yet not on Green?

My biggest question involves what his role will ultimately be. Is he now a permanent fixture inside? Or is moving/playing him outside still a possibility?

The reason I ask is because when we drafted him, my expectation was that he'd provide a pass-rushing presence opposite Ware. But unlike Ware, more of a pure pass rusher learning to do other things at the position, Carpenter would provide less raw burst but more overall skills outside. This was my justification for passing on a player like Lawson.

Now, it appears we have hit on an outside 'backer in Ellis. So I'm curious what Carpenter's role will be inside, especially since we have James and Ayodele.

The good news is we have a lot of talented bodies. I mean, our backups right now include Carpenter, Singleton and Burnett. Heck, we'd have four starting caliber backups if not for trading away Shanle.

Yup, for all the slack I'm getting for picking on BC, I have stated several times in the Zone that I think linebacker is the most talented, best depth position the Boys have at this moment. Carpenter may not be a Ware, but he'll still probably end up as a solid linebacker. I guess I got spoiled watching Ware display skillz that I had never seen before last year in that Seattle preseason game. :)

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Yup, for all the slack I'm getting for picking on BC, I have stated several times in the Zone that I think linebacker is the most talented, best depth position the Boys have at this moment. Carpenter may not be a Ware, but he'll still probably end up as a solid linebacker. I guess I got spoiled watching Ware display skillz that I had never seen before last year in that Seattle preseason game. :)

you realize OLB and ILB have different assignments right?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I guess I was watching a different game then some of you people.

On one series:

Carp hits Hicks and causes a fumble.

Next play Carp tackles Hicks for about a 2 yard gain.

A few plays later he puts extreme pressure on the QB and just misses the sack.

Later on in the game he would of had an easy int except that him and Singleton bumped into eachother while going up for the ball.

What the hell more do you want from a rookie learning new position in a new defense?

jman

Reaction score
Bobby Carpenter – He can get through traffic and pressure the QB. He’s got a nose for the football. Akin Ayodele will have this kid breathing down his neck all year;

From Raphael Vela's Assessment of SF-Dal game post...

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61773

So, sounds like you either wan't just flashy plays or you really haven't been watching what you think you have. Carpenter has been solid, just not flashy.

We've got flashy...but he can't even get on the field yet.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
jman said:
Bobby Carpenter – He can get through traffic and pressure the QB. He’s got a nose for the football. Akin Ayodele will have this kid breathing down his neck all year;

From Raphael Vela's Assessment of SF-Dal game post...

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61773

So, sounds like you either wan't just flashy plays or you really haven't been watching what you think you have. Carpenter has been solid, just not flashy.

We've got flashy...but he can't even get on the field yet.
:hammer:

Natedawg44

Reaction score
I don't think the debate should be which LB should we have taken. I think the debate should be should we have taken a LB at all. Ellis being a big surprise, the emergence of Burnett and other issues have made this the deepest position on the team. If you are looking retrospect a WR would look pretty good right now.

lspain1

Reaction score
Carpenter seems like a good player at a position where we are very deep. If the Ellis thing had not worked out, we would be seeing something very different by now. We might just have ourselves a nice little defense this season. The great thing is that Carpenter gets better from here. The future (with Carpenter) looks bright enough for me to need shades. Not too much to get upset about here IMO.

Good morning to all as I eye Ernesto.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins said:
Really other than that one play in the third quarter where he did actually look quite good on the pass rush this guy is doing a big fat job of nothing.

I really have yet to see him make a play but what I doo see him do a lot is jump at people and miss. Now this guy is supposed to be the 18th best player in the draft and also purported to prepared for the game. while he did have some sort of leg injury a week ago im starting to worry about the guy.

I DO NOT want him to suck.
It's not just you, Fuzzy...he's not a bust...way way too early for that, but anyone who thinks we need to wait 2 years on a LB taken #18 in round 1 is crazy...that's the definition of wasted money.

You are correct...he has done almost nothing in preseason but miss tackles. Not a bust, but disappointing since he doesn't even look close to starting anytime this season, which is what most of us thought he was drafted for.

marchetta

Reaction score
Wood said:
Where is his burst ?

Don't ask that! I did, during the game thread, and almost got crucified! I see a player with only a 3-step burst, then he slows down. He's constantly diving at player's heels as they're running by him, because he doesn't have the speed to track them down. However, several people on this board are all over Carp's jock, and don't want anyone questioning his ability. If you say anything negative, they question your Cowboy loyalty and act like you just insulted their momma. So, just join the crowd, put on your rose colored glasses, and don't believe what your eyes tell you.

Iago33

Reaction score
I think I've figured out Carp's diving. You see, you can tell by his hair that he's just a big kid at heart, and he's still in summer mode--belly flops and slip-and-slides.

Either that or he's either a tick slow in reading plays or a step slow in running them down. Whichever explanation suits you.

shaq48

Reaction score
Cut the guy some slack...learning a new position with new terminology in the fastest enviroment he's ever seen has to have him thinking not reacting just yet. Just think about 2nd and 20 and 3rd and 15 plays where Parcells has him inside and he can rush the passer also. Ellis and Ware on the outside and Carpenter inside all capable of getting to the QB. In straight up run pass situations AA and James will be in the inside because they are tackling machines, But the Rook will come in on some pass rushing situations for sure.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
I don't think there's any way Carpenter will be a bust.

But I doubt he was the best choice at No. 18, or the 18th-best player in the draft.

I would prefer drafting guys with more upside in the first two rounds ... or as Inman would say, take the guy with the best chance to be in the Ring of Honor. You may miss occasionally, but that's where you can pick guys with special ability. Elite athletes that make game-changing plays.

Having watched all three preseason games, I think Carpenter will be fine. But, athletically, he's not special. He's solid. If you want "solid" with your first-round pick, then that's fine.

Same thing with Anthony Fasano. I don't see a special athlete. I see a solid, workmanlike plugger.

They both look like "need" picks to me.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Chief said:
Same thing with Anthony Fasano. I don't see a special athlete. I see a solid, workmanlike plugger.

They both look like "need" picks to me.

I agree, Chief. I've been watching Carpenter like we all have and tho I haven't seen him make the constant over-running errors I've seen many rookie lbs do over the years, and tho I think his reaction time is typical for a kid with so much on his plate, I also don't think he is ever going to be anything like 'elite', was not drafted to be 'the man', and is going to be an important cog in the defensive wheel in years to come, but never the hub.

Was he drafted too high. Probably. But he evidently has the the makings of a sound, smart linebacker whose stability will pay for itself many times over the years.