Bobby, Poor Bobby

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
I am really not one to bash players but last night after watching Bobby Carpenter it occurred to me that he lack physicality and the willingness to attack. Now if you couple all that with him looking like a lost toddler at the mall it is plain as day that Bobby poor Bobby is not an ILB.

He might develop into a decent OLB but he has no aggression, toughness, and he has no business mixing it up with the big boys in the middle. I was embarrassed for him. I know some will defend him but they will be on very shaky ground. Even if he didn’t know what he was doing he could have hit someone, anyone.

Watching him attack the line of scrimmage is like watching a rat pis on cotton, soft. If he wasn’t a first round draft pick, thanks Tuna he would have been cut.

cowboyrock

Benched
Reaction score
He's a bust,pure and simple.this is on Bill and Jerry. it's time to admit we made a mistake and try and get a 5th or 6th round pick for this guy.it is what it is. time to move on.

superpunk

Reaction score
It was pretty awful watching him last night. There are any number of players that could have played the role he did - engage the guard or fullback, stand there or get pushed back a few yards, let someone else make the tackle, stand tall and don't get dirty.

After almost every 4-5 yard gainer they had, there was Bobby, standing up next to the pile, finally disengaging from the blocker. It wasn't pretty.

Of course, this was only the first preseason game - they haven't had any contact all camp long, and Bobby hasn't really had any contact for three years. One could argue that it will take a few games for him to get comfortable sticking his nose in there.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
I said when the Cowboys drafted him, he benefited from having Hawk at OSU.

Maybe it was indeed a Parcells pick from the heart. But there were many people who thought he was pretty good. I saw some good plays from time to time, but not to the point that I thought he would be a game changer.

neosapien23

Reaction score
I still think Carpenter benefitted from playing alongside AJ Hawk. Alot of people were happy when the Tuna took Carpenter in the first round, but not me. I have to be fair though and say that at the time I was clamoring for Manny Lawson and he looks to be just as big of a bust at this time.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
I am not ready to cut him yet but I am inching closer. It is just very disturbing to see a player play a very physical position like he is scared. I really wanted Manny Lawson, but I think the Tuna's favoritism bit us in the arse.

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
Bobby seams to be slow reacting, how many times did he make a diving tackle? He doesn't have that shoot the gap mentallity or hole plugging ability. He hit that rookie fullback at the goalline way to high and gave up his ground. He'll run down the line in pursuit and then make a play after yardage has been giving up. Come on Bobby, man up already.

Let's put some hot coals on Burnett's $h!tter also. For a fast guy, he sure gets lost in space. If you can't tackle in space, at least slow the roadrunner down.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
dueyhemlock;2185250 said:
Bobby seams to be slow reacting, how many times did he make a diving tackle? He doesn't have that shoot the gap mentallity or hole plugging ability. He hit that rookie fullback at the goalline way to high and gave up his ground. He'll run down the line in pursuit and then make a play after yardage has been giving up. Come on Bobby, man up already.

Let's put some hot coals on Burnett's $h!tter also. For a fast guy, he sure gets lost in space. If you can't tackle in space, at least slow the roadrunner down.

Burnett did not have a good game either but you can see glimpses of aggression. With Bobby, poor Bobby, it is more like, meh.

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
adbutcher;2185262 said:
Burnett did not have a good game either but you can see glimpses of aggression. With Bobby, poor Bobby, it is more like, meh.

I think these two are totally different.

Burnett definitely seems way more agressive and that might be part of his problem in the open field.

Carp lacks agression or the *** to be agressive. He seems to be better in open space, no reading and reacting involved, just get the ball carrier.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
I agree Bobby is too soft... but I also think he is not a good fit for a 3-4 OLB or ILB...I think his only chance in the NFL is to play outside in a 4-3 but even than I don't think he will be anything but JAG.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
dueyhemlock;2185283 said:
I think these two are totally different.

Burnett definitely seems way more agressive and that might be part of his problem in the open field.

Carp lacks agression or the *** to be agressive. He seems to be better in open space, no reading and reacting involved, just get the ball carrier.

Here is the thing, you can't teach aggression, either you have it or not and Bobby doesn't have it. However, you are more likely to find success in scaling an aggressive player back or teaching him better technique. Burnett has already proven that he can play in this league but I am still waiting on Bobby, poor Bobby.

Kilyin

Reaction score
Carpenter looked gassed and out of shape. But that could have something to do with our defense being on the field for most of the game. I thought that third PI call that reversed a Watkins interception was questionable.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Zaxor;2185288 said:
I agree Bobby is too soft... but I also think he is not a good fit for a 3-4 OLB or ILB...I think his only chance in the NFL is to play outside in a 4-3 but even than I don't think he will be anything but JAG.

You have a point, Bobby is definitely not cut out for playing inside but playing linebacker in the NFL requires something that Bobby has yet to exhibit. Maybe one day the light will come on and he will play more like Tarzan but for now we are getting a crippled Jane.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Kilyin;2185296 said:
Carpenter looked gassed and out of shape. But that could have something to do with our defense being on the field for most of the game. I thought that third PI call that reversed a Watkins interception was questionable.

It is hard to be gassed if you are barely running to ball for fear of getting your jersey dirty, lol.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
Give Carp some credit. He saved two TD's by making diving special teams tackles. He was the last hope on both plays, and made the tackle both
times.

There is certainly enough bad play to go around:

Brad Johnson
Pacman Jones
Kevin Burnett
Marcelious Bennett
Rich Bartel

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Wrangler87;2185312 said:
Give Carp some credit. He saved two TD's by making diving special teams tackles. He was the last hope on both plays, and made the tackle both
times.

There is certainly enough bad play to go around:

Brad Johnson
Pacman Jones
Kevin Burnett
Marcelious Bennett
Rich Bartel

You can give him credit if you want but I expect more from a lb in his 3rd year that was drafted in the first round.

Reaction score
adbutcher;2185194 said:
I am really not one to bash players but last night after watching Bobby Carpenter it occurred to me that he lack physicality and the willingness to attack. Now if you couple all that with him looking like a lost toddler at the mall it is plain as day that Bobby poor Bobby is not an ILB.

He might develop into a decent OLB but he has no aggression, toughness, and he has no business mixing it up with the big boys in the middle. I was embarrassed for him. I know some will defend him but they will be on very shaky ground. Even if he didn’t know what he was doing he could have hit someone, anyone.

Watching him attack the line of scrimmage is like watching a rat pis on cotton, soft. If he wasn’t a first round draft pick, thanks Tuna he would have been cut.

Carp and Burnett need to go.

Kilyin

Reaction score
adbutcher;2185328 said:
You can give him credit if you want but I expect more from a lb in his 3rd year that was drafted in the first round.

Our LB corps is supposed to be one of the best and deepest in the league... but aside from Ware, James, Ellis, and Zach Thomas, we have a lot of question marks.

Burnett is a 2nd rd pick in his third year and he looked just as bad as Carpenter out there. Not to mention he gets hurt every year.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
adbutcher;2185295 said:
Here is the thing, you can't teach aggression, either you have it or not and Bobby doesn't have it.
Exactly. Like Buddy Ryan used to say, "If they don't bite when they're puppies, they aren't going to bite."

A young linebacker can have some flaws in his game, but if he can't or won't hit, he simply can't play.

Ugh... And this after complaining about how he hasn't been given a chance by the coaches. :rolleyes:

Mash

Reaction score
Carp and Parcells deserve to get bashed here and all other Cowboy forums like Quincy Carter did........ :)

Thats what I would like to see :)

It was a wasted pick.....he made millions and will have a productive life and Big Bill will still be considered a great eye for talent.

:)