Twitter: Bostic not expected to be suspended

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand the emotion ("if this were another team's QB ..." yadda, yadda, yadda) but unless Bostic is a repeat offender for this kind of stuff, a la Burfict,he probably won't see a suspension beyond his game ejection. If Trysten Hill didn't get a suspension for his alligator roll, which many here defended, neither should Bostic. Y'all are talking about consistency, right? Even players who throw punches don't appear to get suspended regularly.
Maybe I need to go back and look at the Trystan Hill play, but I thought he was just holding on rather than intentionally trying to twist a leg to the point of breaking.

As for player's throwing punches, that is probably more likely to hurt the person throwing the punch than the player being hit.

What happened with Dalton has the potential to do permanent damage - head injury, neck injury, spinal injury etc ....

That said, I do agree there doesn't seem to be a precedent for suspending players for this kind of hit, but I can't disagree with people who say there should be a suspension. After all, if the league is really all about player safety like it claims, this is exactly the kind of thing they need to try and eliminate.

Hopefully at least the fine will be more than just a token amount.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Maybe I need to go back and look at the Trystan Hill play, but I thought he was just holding on rather than intentionally trying to twist a leg to the point of breaking.

As for player's throwing punches, that is probably more likely to hurt the person throwing the punch than the player being hit.

What happened with Dalton has the potential to do permanent damage - head injury, neck injury, spinal injury etc ....

That said, I do agree there doesn't seem to be a precedent for suspending players for this kind of hit, but I can't disagree with people who say there should be a suspension. After all, if the league is really all about player safety like it claims, this is exactly the kind of thing they need to try and eliminate.

That "gator roll" tackle is a lot more common than most think and I don't think you can definitively label it dirty.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
How many times has he done this.

The only thing I saw was that he was fined on a play he wasn't flagged for back when he was a rookie in 2013 (see below). That's my point on this from my last post. If he's a yearly repeat offender then a suspension should be expected. But stuff like this and worse is not treated with suspension. The ejection rule is meant to be in place of a suspension, IMO, unless you repeatedly offend.

bostichit_medium.gif

MarcusRock

Reaction score

Precedent is what you have to go on. If the NFL is going to change things, they have to let all NFL teams know before the season starts, just like with any new rule rollout. It's tricky with this case because you can't dole out punishment based on how hurt someone gets or could get because then you'd have players faking things, especially during divisional games. How they've done things is how they've done them. If they suspend Bostic, then you'd have other teams' fans screaming bias in favor of the Cowboys (which they all do anyway because we're ratings darlings, unbeknownst to the CONSPIRACY! folks here).

Here is the Trysten Hill play.

THill-Roll.gif

glimmerman

Reaction score
The only thing I saw was that he was fined on a play he wasn't flagged for back when he was a rookie in 2013 (see below). That's my point on this from my last post. If he's a yearly repeat offender then a suspension should be expected. But stuff like this and worse is not treated with suspension. The ejection rule is meant to be in place of a suspension, IMO, unless you repeatedly offend.

bostichit_medium.gif
Can’t see the angle but looks like a helmet in the chest. He hit Dalton pretty good. He had given himself up so I get the flag. Not so sure he should have been ejected.. Sometimes the consistency is off.

rags

Reaction score
I guess the No Fine League figures that the Cowboys season is over anyway. So, why bother with a fine and/or suspension? SMH.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Precedent is what you have to go on. If the NFL is going to change things, they have to let all NFL teams know before the season starts, just like with any new rule rollout. It's tricky with this case because you can't dole out punishment based on how hurt someone gets or could get because then you'd have players faking things, especially during divisional games. How they've done things is how they've done them. If they suspend Bostic, then you'd have other teams' fans screaming bias in favor of the Cowboys (which they all do anyway because we're ratings darlings, unbeknownst to the CONSPIRACY! folks here).

Here is the Trysten Hill play.

THill-Roll.gif
I would be surprised if the league doesn't already have the authority to issue suspensions based on flagrant and/or egregious actions on the field that could potentially hurt someone. Besides, I'm not sure it's particularly unusual to see the league act in a way that isn't consistent with how they have acted before. At times they seem to evaluate the mood of the public at a given moment and adjust punishments to accommodate that.

As for screams of favoritism, I suspect that's a nonstop complaint, and not just with Cowboy fans, and it isn't possible to completely avoid that. But the league may be hesitant to set a precedent where they have to start interpreting these kinds of plays more frequently. Not that I think that's a good excuse. If the league is serious about stopping certain kinds of actions on the field, they have to be prepared to deal with them.

I wasn't suggesting punishment should be based on the severity of the injury. Obviously even clean hits could result in serious injury. I was talking about the kinds of hits the league has already indicated as being off limits and having the potential to do the greatest harm - and a player intentionally and maliciously ignoring that and targeting a player in that manner anyway.

As for the Hill play, after looking at it now, that one is a tough call. It seems to me the roll was started as the player lunged and drug him, and it could be argued that he just held on until he was sure the player was down. It could also be argued that Hill could have resisted rolling but did so anyway. Seems pretty inconclusive to me, and certainly can't be seen as premeditated.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I would be surprised if the league doesn't already have the authority to issue suspensions based on flagrant and/or egregious actions on the field that could potentially hurt someone. Besides, I'm not sure it's particularly unusual to see the league act in a way that isn't consistent with how they have acted before. At times they seem to evaluate the mood of the public at a given moment and adjust punishments to accommodate that.

As for screams of favoritism, I suspect that's a nonstop complaint, and not just with Cowboy fans, and it isn't possible to completely avoid that. But the league may be hesitant to set a precedent where they have to start interpreting these kinds of plays more frequently. Not that I think that's a good excuse. If the league is serious about stopping certain kinds of actions on the field, they have to be prepared to deal with them.

I wasn't suggesting punishment should be based on the severity of the injury. Obviously even clean hits could result in serious injury. I was talking about the kinds of hits the league has already indicated as being off limits and having the potential to do the greatest harm - and a player intentionally and maliciously ignoring that and targeting a player in that manner anyway.

As for the Hill play, after looking at it now, that one is a tough call. It seems to me the roll was started as the player lunged and drug him, and it could be argued that he just held on until he was sure the player was down. It could also be argued that Hill could have resisted rolling but did so anyway. Seems pretty inconclusive to me, and certainly can't be seen as premeditated.
I agree, the Hill tackle could go either way and to me it seems comfortably right dead center in the middle.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jon Bostic's new theme music:

I want to fly like an eagle
But I play for Washington hehe
Fly like an eagle
Let my spearing carry me
'Till Dalton's head rolls free
Fly through a non-suspension...

(apologies to the Steve Miller Band)

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Jon Bostic's new theme music:

But I play for Washington hehe
Fly like an eagle
Let my spearing carry me
'Till Dalton's head rolls free
Fly through a non-suspension...

(apologies to the Steve Miller Band)
Impressive song butchering.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Is this thread serious?? tell dalton to slide earlier next time. Same with romo if your qb can't slide properly these things happen