Bottom line the FO doesn't want a 2-3 year rebuild

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Getting Vrabel or Harbaugh is what this team needs IMO to get over the hump. However given the play style is much different than the way the roster is currently constructed it would’ve taken a 2-3 year rebuild to get the roster the way they want it.

During that time you have to make a decision on Prescott, Lamb and Parsons and then probably Bland, Tyler Smith, etc.

I think Jerry saw a long term rebuild as cementing not winning a Super Bowl while he was alive. Whereas the chances the next 2 years probably aren’t great they definitely are higher than going from a finesse team to a 49ers/Ravens/Lions style in 1 year.

So the FO is trying to make a couple easy tweaks rather than rebuild this thing all the way
You nailed it! Everyone needs to understand this and stop complaining already.

:hammer:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Jerry be like..

”Woooo… my 12-5 coach is coming back! Super Bowl!”

giphy-downsized-large.gif

RS12

Reaction score
That may be what Jerry thought as the clock ticks on him and dementia seems to be creeping in. But what makes the op think a couple tweaks is going to move this team over the hump? This team has a lot of issues, and dont come at me with the 12 and 5 non sense. Most of those wins were against the dregs of the league with some horrendous defenses.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
It's easy to see what Jerry sees. A 12-5 team that led the NFL in scoring.

If you want to look big picture, the Cowboys really did accomplish a lot this year. If this were the Jaguars or Titans or Raiders MM would be Coach of the Year material. But in Dallas the stakes and expectations SHOULD be higher.

I'm tired of being regular season champs. As are all of you. We deserve to win the whole thing. Instead we have to be satisfied with just being "good".

Ken

Reaction score
Getting Vrabel or Harbaugh is what this team needs IMO to get over the hump. However given the play style is much different than the way the roster is currently constructed it would’ve taken a 2-3 year rebuild to get the roster the way they want it.

During that time you have to make a decision on Prescott, Lamb and Parsons and then probably Bland, Tyler Smith, etc.

I think Jerry saw a long term rebuild as cementing not winning a Super Bowl while he was alive. Whereas the chances the next 2 years probably aren’t great they definitely are higher than going from a finesse team to a 49ers/Ravens/Lions style in 1 year.

So the FO is trying to make a couple easy tweaks rather than rebuild this thing all the way
They have said repeatedly that they want to have a team capable of winning it for a longer period of time. I think keeping MIke (like you said) enables that to continue.

They need to go hard to remake the defensive roster a bit. They need to get bigger and tougher. We need a couple of hard nosed RBs....

That would go a long way.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it would’ve taken a 2-3 year rebuild to get the roster the way they want it.
Oh ok. So we just add another year to the count (I mean 28-29 what's the real difference right) only this time we add a $50M+ QB to the salary cap.

Kicking the can down the road is what the Jones' did with Garrett. It seems we are heading down the same path.

batman36

Reaction score
At this point I would like to see them do what the Rams did a few years ago. Give up a ton of picks and cap space to go all-out for a title. If it means five or six years to recover so what?

We've waited almost 30 years already anyway.
The Rams won the SB in 2021, missed the playoffs in '22, but returned to them in '23, losing at Detroit. That's not a rebuild. That's a competent GM(Les Sneed), that has to account to ownership. This doesn't exist in the Cowboys' organization. Not to this extent.

Last edited:

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The Rams won the SB in 2021, missed the playoffs in '22, but returned to them in '23, losing at Detroit. That's not a rebuild. That's a competent GM(Les Sneed), that has to account to ownership. This doesn't exist in Cowboys' organization. Not to this extent.
They overvalue draft picks. I know Dallas has hit on a ton in recent years. At the same time I'm pretty sure this team would have gone 12-5 this year minus Mazi Smith and Luke Schoonmaker.

kwcool619

Reaction score
It's not a matter of whether they are correct. Jerry Jones isn't rebuilding a 12-5 team at the age of 81. He'll convince himself they can still get over the hump next season.
I just finish looking at the opponents for next season. The home schedule (besides the NFC least), is on the brutal side.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Major Fail.
This current set up is incapable of post season success.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

:laugh: .....Hate to break it to you Jerry....but this team needs to be rebuilt. With all the free agents.....guys that need to be replaced....guys that need to be upgraded....there just isn't enough cap space and draft picks to build a winner now.