Signed by Cowboys Boys working deal with DE Benson Mayowa - *Signs Offer Sheet*

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My problem is, I don't think Jerry is looking at it that way. I think he will pass on a guy that they view as a franchise QB for a guy that they view as a dominant DE or a dominant CB, which would be a mistake.

Either that or they'll grade the QBs low intentionally. Remember when everyone was pissed that we never took o-linemen early. Well when our board leaked, we saw why. Every linemen taken in rounds 1-2, we had a much lower grade on, then other teams. It ensured that we would never get value at that position. And once Jerry saw the light, the scouts suddenly started rating guys like TSmith, TFrederick and ZMartin where they should be (maybe a bit high on Frederick, but that worked out). I really think our grade on Goff and Wentz will be lower than where most teams place them, just so when we pass, we can say we followed our board...

Well you're just guessing here but at the risk of turning this into a damn debate, I'd like to hear his reasoning on why a complete bum like Manziel could make sense for this team 2 years ago but a QB in the first round this year doesn't fit because Romo has too many years left.

I know it will be the ranting of a truly mad man but I'd still love to hear him try to explain that.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Well you're just guessing here but at the risk of turning this into a damn debate, I'd like to hear his reasoning on why a complete bum like Manziel could make sense for this team 2 years ago but a QB in the first round this year doesn't fit because Romo has too many years left.

I know it will be the ranting of a truly mad man but I'd still love to hear him try to explain that.

We weren't looking to take Manziel 4th overall.

But you knew that.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

wow...never looked at it that way...now I will be truly pissed if we pass on Wentz or Goff.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Maybe the drama fest hand played by the media was as off then as it is today...

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
And it was 2 Romo surgeries ago

But you knew that

There was a thought to taking him. By Jerry Jones. The man does not pine away for someone he seriously did not want.

Right now, the same people that talked him out of Manziel should be speaking in tones of the opposite direction.

His notion that it is four or five years, not a damn debate, is not realistic.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Tough to see us giving this kind of a deal to a guy that is a complete unknown. This seems like panic setting in. Hopefully I am proven wrong, but generally it isn't that often that a player exceeds my expectation. Zack Martin is one that has.

As far who we could have got for this money....I would have paid a known guy like Dwight Freeney...who led the Cards in sacks a year ago while playing a part time role. I would have paid Chris Long ( from what I can find 1 yr deal worth 2m), Wallace Gilberry or Junior Galette, who was signed for 1.6m. Heck, I'd even consider Jason Hatcher for a deal up to what Mayowa got. He has had success in Marinelli's defense and would be worth a look.

jjktkk

Reaction score
There was a thought to taking him. By Jerry Jones. The man does not pine away for someone he seriously did not want.

Right now, the same people that talked him out of Manziel should be speaking in tones of the opposite direction.

His notion that it is four or five years, not a damn debate, is not realistic.
C'mon you know Jerry was blowing smoke up our keisters with that "Romo has 4 or 5 more years left", right. He was kidding right?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And it was 2 Romo surgeries ago

But you knew that

The fact that it's a top 5 pick this time doesn't matter. The thought process from the guy who killed this franchise and continues to hold it's corpse hostage to appease his own ego is that a QB in the first round doesn't make sense because Romo has too many years left. Yet he had to be talked out of a taking a QB in the first round two years ago with Romo having even more years left. Even chastised his son after making the Martin selection that this was the stuff non-winners do. You just can not make this up.

Jerry has the worst football instincts in the history of this league.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
My problem is, I don't think Jerry is looking at it that way. I think he will pass on a guy that they view as a franchise QB for a guy that they view as a dominant DE or a dominant CB, which would be a mistake.

Problem is, I haven't read, or watched anyone declare there is a franchise QB in this year's draft class (with the exception of Chucky; if you can recognize a D on his monitor, you are declared "franchise"). At best, Goff is rated as the most "ready now" QB, but everyone else needs seasoning. Not sure if #4 pick should be used on a QB who is not ready to play on day 1, even if his job will be to hold a clipboard for a couple of years.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Problem is, I haven't read, or watched anyone declare there is a franchise QB in this year's draft class (with the exception of Chucky; if you can recognize a D on his monitor, you are declared "franchise"). At best, Goff is rated as the most "ready now" QB, but everyone else needs seasoning. Not sure if #4 pick should be used on a QB who is not ready to play on day 1, even if his job will be to hold a clipboard for a couple of years.

Mayock says Goff & Wentz are better than Marriota & Winston.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
This thread is hilarious, you got some of the exact same posters that preach in every other thread how the organization is being smart in not overpaying vet free agents like Weddle, but are now trying to argue that giving $3 million a year to a complete nobody is a great move.

:laugh:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Tough to see us giving this kind of a deal to a guy that is a complete unknown. This seems like panic setting in. Hopefully I am proven wrong, but generally it isn't that often that a player exceeds my expectation. Zack Martin is one that has.

As far who we could have got for this money....I would have paid a known guy like Dwight Freeney...who led the Cards in sacks a year ago while playing a part time role. I would have paid Chris Long ( from what I can find 1 yr deal worth 2m), Wallace Gilberry or Junior Galette, who was signed for 1.6m. Heck, I'd even consider Jason Hatcher for a deal up to what Mayowa got. He has had success in Marinelli's defense and would be worth a look.

:hammer:

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

It's about the future. We aren't winning anything now with this team after the draft even if we go defense at #4. We are so far away from competing for a SB.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
The fact that it's a top 5 pick this time doesn't matter. The thought process from the guy who killed this franchise and continues to hold it's corpse hostage to appease his own ego is that a QB in the first round doesn't make sense because Romo has too many years left. Yet he had to be talked out of a taking a QB in the first round two years ago with Romo having even more years left. Even chastised his son after making the Martin selection that this was the stuff non-winners do. You just can not make this up.

Jerry has the worst football instincts in the history of this league.

Something that was true 2 years ago. Could still be true today. What about that fact confuses you?

Also Jerry is a tiebreaker...he owns the team...sure it's not ideal...but he isn't setting the strategy for our team. He isn't scouting. He isn't negotiating contracts. He isn't the team builder. You can keep saying otherwise but that doesn't make it true.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
This thread is hilarious, you got some of the exact same posters that preach in every other thread how the organization is being smart in not overpaying vet free agents like Weddle, but are now trying to argue that giving $3 million a year to a complete nobody is a great move.

Maybe they're just glad that we're trying to replace Jeremy Mincey with a guy who is 7 years younger, would use less of our salary cap, was more productive last season and is on the rise instead of at the end of his career. I don't know, but most people would consider younger, cheaper and more productive to be a good thing.