1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

News: BR: Dak Prescott Rumors: Cowboys QB 'Might Prefer to Do a Shorter-Term' Contract

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Reality, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Reality

Reality Admin

22,790 Messages
    40,298 Likes Received
    Dak Prescott Rumors: Cowboys QB 'Might Prefer to Do a Shorter-Term' Contract

[​IMG]

Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott is reportedly considering signing a shorter-term deal with the team, preferring it to a long-term commitment...

Read Full Story

2. erod

erod Well-Known Member

30,883 Messages
    44,521 Likes Received
    This is not news.

He wants to take advantage of the market again after Mahomes deal.

This works to Dallas' favor, even if they don't see it. Not as much as a franchise tag, but better than a long-term albatross.

3. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

42,529 Messages
    43,668 Likes Received
    Wasn't this a story back in August / September time frame.
    I guess this writer needed something to rehash, and figured most forgot about it.
    :laugh:

Whyjerry likes this.
  4. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Regular Joe....

52,989 Messages
    20,867 Likes Received
    I think it only works to the Cowboys benefit if the plan is to move on from Dak. I don't see much benefit to the team otherwise.

5. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Regular Joe....

52,989 Messages
    20,867 Likes Received
    Exactly right. There is no news here.

shabazz likes this.
  6. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

42,529 Messages
    43,668 Likes Received
    I prefer it be shorter too. Not that I think of him as an Albatross, but more of a "just in case" deal.
    He shown more than enough to be the QB, but not enough to break the bank. However, he is the best option to take them to the playoffs, as opposed to starting over.

BBGTYCOON, Jake and CowboysRule like this.
  7. BigD_95

BigD_95 Well-Known Member

1,194 Messages
    1,043 Likes Received
    if its a shorter deal they should at least lock him up for 5 years

8. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

13,859 Messages
    17,998 Likes Received
    That's long term in NFL years.

9. Direwolf63

Direwolf63 RXP

13,150 Messages
    19,557 Likes Received
    This has been known for a long time.

It's been more about the length of the deal than $$$$$

Sevenup3000 and Jake like this.
  10. erod

erod Well-Known Member

30,883 Messages
    44,521 Likes Received
    That's long term to Dak. He 3 three years max.

Captain-Crash likes this.
  11. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Moderator

79,688 Messages
    53,639 Likes Received
  12. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

6,395 Messages
    4,475 Likes Received
    I’m not surprised. I saw somewhere that he believes they’ll win a super bowl within the next 3 years and his stock will sky rocket so he can get what he wants in resigning again.

13. MaineBoy

MaineBoy Well-Known Member

719 Messages
    378 Likes Received

His stock would also rise if he could consistently hit receivers in stride....

14. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Well-Known Member

22,136 Messages
    38,025 Likes Received
    Short is good. At least that's what I tried to tell my wife.

15. garyo1954

garyo1954 Well-Known Member

1,898 Messages
    2,077 Likes Received
    Yeah, been tossed around a while. If I were him I'd want a shorter deal so I could cash in again. That just makes sense from the player view....

"One source suggested that Prescott might prefer to do a shorter-term deal than the traditional long Cowboys deal that allows them to keep restructuring for cap relief. If Prescott signed a Kirk Cousins-style three-year deal, for example, he'd hit free agency again at age 29. Prescott might also be waiting to see whether the Texans extend Deshaun Watson this offseason, and then he could work off of that deal if it establishes new quarterback standards."

16. CowboysRule

CowboysRule Well-Known Member

1,063 Messages
    2,152 Likes Received
    So basically Dak just wants money. Has no loyalty to the Cowboys. Just what I want from the guy leading my team...:rolleyes:

17. Streetwise

Streetwise Well-Known Member

12,239 Messages
    13,086 Likes Received
    It's a tough sell.

18. NeathBlue

NeathBlue Well-Known Member

333 Messages
    570 Likes Received
    Yeah, that does appear to be the case if indeed he’s interested in a shorter contract.
    If thinks a 5 year deal averaging $35million a season isn’t enough, then you’ve got to ask wether his commitment is to the Cowboys.
    And I’m saying this as someone who has wanted Dak signed up long term.

noshame, Fastpitch Dad and pjtoadie like this.
  19. Reid1boys

Reid1boys Well-Known Member

3,085 Messages
    2,696 Likes Received
    This is NOT in the Cowboys favor........ you say, "Even if they dont see it?" You dont think the Cowboys have individuals that spend everyday working on contracts and understanding salary cap? and you think you have a better understanding of what is best for the cowboys better than they do?

No, this is exactly what Dak wants so he can get another new contract in 3 years as these QB salaries continue to spiral north.... that is ion DAKS favor, NOT the Cowboys favor, and this is likely the single biggest sticking point they are dealing with.

Proof likes this.
  20. cheftjpeck

cheftjpeck Well-Known Member

1,085 Messages
    1,058 Likes Received
    I say 3 year deal with two additional one year options (total 5 years) with incentive based accelerator clauses that increase his salary dramatically in outlying factors to include
    Post season accomplishments
    NFL AVG QB salary at time of new nfl season year begins

BBGTYCOON and Hawkeye0202 like this.