News: BR: Dak Prescott Rumors: Cowboys QB 'Might Prefer to Do a Shorter-Term' Contract

Reid1boys

Reaction score
That's long term in NFL years.
we are talking about QBs, and QBs and what happens with them is not relevant to the rest of the league. So tell me which legit top 10 QBs have signed 3 year deals with the team that drafted them? Cousins is an anomaly because he was a true free agent. So ill wait for you to find me the QBs that are top 10 that signed a 3 year deal with their original team.

Jenky

Reaction score
This is NOT in the Cowboys favor........ you say, "Even if they dont see it?" You dont think the Cowboys have individuals that spend everyday working on contracts and understanding salary cap? and you think you have a better understanding of what is best for the cowboys better than they do?

No, this is exactly what Dak wants so he can get another new contract in 3 years as these QB salaries continue to spiral north.... that is ion DAKS favor, NOT the Cowboys favor, and this is likely the single biggest sticking point they are dealing with.

Basically, if he plays terrible on a short term contract then it is in the Cowboys favor since they can move on from him, but if he plays lights out , he gets another big pay day.

CWR

Reaction score
This is not news.

He wants to take advantage of the market again after Mahomes deal.

This works to Dallas' favor, even if they don't see it. Not as much as a franchise tag, but better than a long-term albatross.

I agree. We should jump all over this opportunity. Dak has been good to great at times, BUT hes also experienced some awful lulls, and even as a huge Dak supporter I've seen enough peaks and valleys that I question the investment long term. I believe (hope) he can continue to improve and find more consistency, but why not mitigate the risk? If he has surpassed expectations three years from now, then you happily re-sign him to a larger contract. With the current climate and annual increases to the cap there is a strong chance even if we signed him long term he'd be back in Jerry's office by year 4. Sign him to a shorter contract now and hes happy. Then we can have him in attendance for the entire offseason, and learning MMs offense. At the same time if things dont work out we have minimized the risk. Its a win/win imo.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Know you’re worth fans, don’t let others dictate your value...

shabazz

Reaction score
I love the team player remarks. Please, show me one team player in the NFL, just one.

o-j-simpson-medium.jpg

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Basically, if he plays terrible on a short term contract then it is in the Cowboys favor since they can move on from him, but if he plays lights out , he gets another big pay day.
Dak is what he is, hes decent, he will not play terrible. 4 seasons of seeing Dak, you get what you get.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like the shorter term deal, more options.

One thing that isn't going to slow down, the opportunities to get a better QB in the draft......more are on the way. Sign this one short term with the idea that this is the only contract, plan on replacing him. Hell, they've got a QB guru type of HC and an OC that knows what it takes, rely on them to get the next one.

Focus on building a team that is not elite QB dependent. The main reason Prescott had that rookie year was not him, it was the team he was on. Same thing happened to Marino and Rothliesberger.

The problem with the Cowboys brain trust, besides the limitations on that first part, is that they're QB satisfied. Hell, Belichick had the GOAT and was never satisfied. He was always focused on replacing him. And to be fair, if any team is as challenged at picking QB's as the Joneses, can't blame them for hugging a Tier 2 guy.

John813

Reaction score
we are talking about QBs, and QBs and what happens with them is not relevant to the rest of the league. So tell me which legit top 10 QBs have signed 3 year deals with the team that drafted them? Cousins is an anomaly because he was a true free agent. So ill wait for you to find me the QBs that are top 10 that signed a 3 year deal with their original team.

The new trend is 4 year extensions for QBs.

Goff, Wentz, Wilson, and Rodgers all signed 4 year extensions.

The poster I quoted had 5 year extension as a short term deal.

With the exploding cap ceiling and a new CBA, why would a QB give the team the favor of a 5+ year deal?

2022 the new TV contracts come into play with the salary cap and we'll see another spike in the cap ceiling.

Never said anything about a 3 year deal.

5 year contracts in the NFL are not considered short term for QB's or any other position.

Ben R signed a 2 year extension. Tom Brady signed a "2" year extension.
Maybe you should of put another clause in there about age.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Dallas probably wants to play kick the can down the road with Dak's contract so a shorter deal will make that harder. Give Dak 3 years, draft a QB high, and remind Dak how he got his starting job in the first place.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The new trend is 4 year extensions for QBs.

Goff, Wentz, Wilson, and Rodgers all signed 4 year extensions.

The poster I quoted had 5 year extension as a short term deal.

With the exploding cap ceiling and a new CBA, why would a QB give the team the favor of a 5+ year deal?

2022 the new TV contracts come into play with the salary cap and we'll see another spike in the cap ceiling.

Never said anything about a 3 year deal.

5 year contracts in the NFL are not considered short term for QB's or any other position.

Ben R signed a 2 year extension. Tom Brady signed a "2" year extension.
Maybe you should of put another clause in there about age.

I never once mentioned an EXTENSION, that is not the same as a new contract. if Dak signs a deal in the next month, that will not be an extension. So a qb that has 2 years remaining on his current deal... yea, it make sense to do a 3 year EXTENSION. But a player who is a free agent, they are getting a 5 year deal or the franchise tag.The 4 QBs you mentioned above , none of them were in the final year of their current contract when they signed the EXTENSIONS.

cern

Reaction score
if rdp gets what he wants, the team will begin to suffer due to its inability to sign free agents and keep our own. imo, the chances of winning the big dance in the next 3 years decreases rather than increases. rams and eagles spent a boat load of money for their qb's and free agents. neither sniffed the big dance last year. now they're going thru fireside sales to get some more money. seems mindboggling that only belichick has figured it out.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Dak Prescott Rumors: Cowboys QB 'Might Prefer to Do a Shorter-Term' Contract

hi-res-a9ed2dc3decbb80ae36a26fa7b198b17_crop_exact.jpg

Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott is reportedly considering signing a shorter-term deal with the team, preferring it to a long-term commitment...

Read Full Story
Meanwhile Tom Brady has said hed go to contender that guaranteed him the best supporting cast for 20million!

Tony Romo just got 17 to be the highest paid announcer in history and its because hes was a DC starting Qb over along period..be smart not stubborn..take the 33 bro!! give the DC a friendly deal over 6 years it will come back 10fold..

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
This has been known for a long time.

It's been more about the length of the deal than $$$$$
its about BOTH, dont get it twisted he wants 35 and 4yrs and over 120 guaranteed..hes being stubborn and selfish and its not worked to date...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Meanwhile Tim Brady has said hed go to contender that guaranteed him the best supporting cast

Tony Romo just got 17 to be the highest paid announcer in history and its because hes was a DC starting Qb over along period..be smart not stubborn..take the 33 bro!! give the DC a friendly deal over 6 years it will come back 10fold..

I agree 100%. Unfortunately, Dak and his agent don't seem to be listening.