News: BR: NFL Agent Rips Cowboys' Jerry Jones: 'He's a Narcissist . He Plays GM Like a Fan'

Diehardblues

Reaction score
LOL, I do not think you'd find a player, including Roger, that would say Tex wanted to be their pal. Especially Duane Thomas.

Tex did his job, he took the heat for playing hardball and there were rumblings about how he dealt with the players long before Duane Thomas. He was an owner's GM, not a players' GM and he didn't care what the players thought because they were employees. I often wonder how he would have fared with free agency, I do not think he would have liked it at all and would have fought that tooth and nail.

People talking about Booger being a marketing guy, he's a child compared to Schramm and what he did with the Cowboys. He understood he needed some sizzle but he never deserted the steak and Booger is all sizzle and how it looks, all style and no substance. Schramm got the substance first, then he sweetened that with a style. Booger doesn't know substance so it's all style and that is all about ego.

Schramm's usage and building of his radio network throughout the Southwest and Mexico is textbook marketing and he was smart to give stations free programming and his sponsors more ears. There was a very good reason why Rozelle held Schramm in such high regard and why Tex always had his ear. Schramm brought up playing internationally while they were still expanding domestically and was instrumental in how exhibition games, the pre preseason games, were used to market the league.

Schramm was a true visionary. Booger just saw what was there and exploited it. If Booger hadn't hired Johnson and gotten the hell out of the way, odds are he sells the team and Schramm is back in the saddle.
Well done CC.

Id only add that Tex told Jethro that sustained success on the field was vital to keeping the brand popular and all that came with it.

Jethro brilliantly implemented revenue mechanisms like stadium sponsorship he sued the league for which took the pressure off of winning to maintain the giant revenue juggernaut. Tex would have never dreamed it’d be possible without success on the field.

And this not only made it possible for the Cowboys to generate revenue without winning but the rest of the league. Which in turn has enabled him to continue his foolish ways without hurting revenue.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
All narcissists are not the same. It is a misnomer that all narcissists cannot express empathy for others.

Jerry Jones' own words label him as a narcissist, when asked if he would hire someone as his general manager:

"Yes, if I for sure knew he would win a Super Bowl. If I for sure knew he would win a Super Bowl, yesterday. The facts are we know that only God knows who can win the Super Bowl and who won't, and we know how many other parts have to come together."

https://www.wfaa.com/article/sports...l-gm/287-7ce34cd8-0525-4312-b677-abfe50c376d1

Unique sense of entitlement is a fundamental narcissist trait. Jones' answer is based on an impossible premise facing anyone with authority to act upon their own wishes. Jones, himself, was in the exact same position before he even bought the franchise. He would accomplish his goal of winning not one but multiple Super Bowls because he, the owner and self-named President of the franchise, installed himself as its general manager. Thus, in his mind, he was "destined" to win a Super Bowl (even though no one told him he would) and no one else can possibly convince him that they could do the same as he did IF given the opportunity.

Jones is a mixture of several personality traits. Narcissism is one of them.
Well said. He is a mixture. Not a classic Narcissistic like others we could use as example.

He just wants to play out his fantasy which is being a celebrity football guy. It’s really pretty simply stuff. Beyond that he’s not a bad guy like others I could name who are more narcissistic.

He’s brilliantly created a means for him to play this out all at our expense.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
He unfortunately is the weakest link in the Cowboys operations. His contributions to improving the talent pool from an operational perspective is not there. McClay does the bulk of the work along with the actual operations and coaching staff.

This is truly a toy for him, but one he has alot of personal investment into. For Dallas to get beyond its current state they could use the benefit of not having a Jones member being so ingrained into the locker room culture and task level of the organization.

That is not to say the players, middle mgmt don't appreciate the big boss coming in and saying "Hi" every once in a while. But the adulation, the exclusive press conferences, the being the face fo the Cowboys may have a negatvie side to the operations.

There is no middle structure removing the players from getting to the big boss. Other teams have position coach, head coach, assistant GM and GM layers you have to fight through before you can see the guy in the helicopter. There is good reason for this. Dallas seems to have those layers, but the Owner exists in many of those layers potentially making the others superfluous in certain situations - like grievances.

fivetwos

Reaction score
He unfortunately is the weakest link in the Cowboys operations. His contributions to improving the talent pool from an operational perspective is not there. McClay does the bulk of the work along with the actual operations and coaching staff.

This is truly a toy for him, but one he has alot of personal investment into. For Dallas to get beyond its current state they could use the benefit of not having a Jones member being so ingrained into the locker room culture and task level of the organization.

That is not to say the players, middle mgmt don't appreciate the big boss coming in and saying "Hi" every once in a while. But the adulation, the exclusive press conferences, the being the face fo the Cowboys may have a negatvie side to the operations.

There is no middle structure removing the players from getting to the big boss. Other teams have position coach, head coach, assistant GM and GM layers you have to fight through before you can see the guy in the helicopter. There is good reason for this. Dallas seems to have those layers, but the Owner exists in many of those layers potentially making the others superfluous in certain situations - like grievances.
His wish to be a celebrity undermines the entire staff.

It always has....except when Johnson and Parcells were here.....which is why a coach with a bigger personality and one more respected than Jones isn't here any longer.

Jerry wants to be the man....hence the puppet coaches, hence the lack of success.

Says he would hire a GM if "he knew for sure" he would win.

When has anyone in sports history known the answers in advance?

It's a cheap cop out answer.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
It always has....except when Johnson and Parcells were here.....which is why a coach with a bigger personality and one more respected than Jones isn't here any longer.

This was one of the more telling comments I ever heard reported about Jerry and the Parcells regime.

After four years of everyone at Valley Ranch tiptoeing around Parcells, Jones was looking for someone he felt comfortable with. He even admitted as much.

"There won't be as much walking on eggshells," he said before catching himself.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=2863430&page=1

I wonder why Jerry felt he had to be walking on eggshells. He had a coach that had turned around a perennial losing mentality. What was there not to like?

Unless his version of winning did not provide a large enough role for you to play in. Then you might be prone to pouting as the winning has less to do about you, and more to do about the efforts of a team of others.

Look, Jerry is a great owner, but he could really secure his place in the pantheon of great NFL owners if he just receded into shadows a bit more and let some really great football people do what they do best. Chase after SuperBowl championships.

garyo1954

Reaction score
"You can't be a clown and lead men...."
Was Bill Parcells talking to Tony Romo or the Booger?

fivetwos

Reaction score
This was one of the more telling comments I ever heard reported about Jerry and the Parcells regime.

After four years of everyone at Valley Ranch tiptoeing around Parcells, Jones was looking for someone he felt comfortable with. He even admitted as much.

I wonder why Jerry felt he had to be walking on eggshells. He had a coach that had turned around a perennial losing mentality. What was there not to like?

Unless his version of winning did not provide a large enough role for you to play in. Then you might be prone to pouting as the winning has less to do about you, and more to do about the efforts of a team of others.

Look, Jerry is a great owner, but he could really secure his place in the pantheon of great NFL owners if he just receded into shadows a bit more and let some really great football people do what they do best. Chase after SuperBowl championships.
Simple. When Johnson and Parcells were here, they were bigger personalities than Jerry, and he couldn't live with that.

Jerry had to bite his tongue for a few years because he was worried the taxpayers wouldn't give him and 5-11 Campo the money for his stayjum.

After Parcells righted the ship it was......thanks, I'll take it from here.....

The small bit of success Wade had here was with Parcells' players.

Then Garrett came in and said that getting a team that won a playoff game ten months earlier to play well was "a process," one that took a decade....and never happened.

This is all under one unqualified man's watch....but hey.....the man has people chanting his name and asking him to sign $20 bills, etc.

I don't get it and never will. Fans ought to be furious with him.

Big_D

Reaction score

Jerry screwed that team after Parcells left. The coaching hires, another embarrassing WR trade, the special teams draft. Parcells brought them back from the dead and then Jerry goes on to do what he does best. A little common sense and that team could've went on a nice run. Bill should get proceeds from the stadium cause it doesn't happen without him.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Beating up on Jerry Jones is the national pastime. Everybody does it, is applauded for it, called "brave" for doing it. Nothing new here.
It’s not brave. I don’t care to beat up on Jerry on anyone else. I’m just tired of losing. Winning cures everything. But to keep making the same mistakes by the same people running this team is maddening. But it’s certainly not beating someone up.

kskboys

Reaction score
And in other news, water is wet!

I mean come on. Jerry plays GM like a fan. Of course he does. He is a very rich guy who bought a football team so he can play GM. He doesn't have to play fantasy football because he is rich enough to buy a team to play with. We hate it but if you bought a Ferrari would you have someone else drive it around for you or would you want to drive it yourself?
If I wrecked it every time I drove it, I'd hire someone else to drive.

kskboys

Reaction score
It’s not brave. I don’t care to beat up on Jerry on anyone else. I’m just tired of losing. Winning cures everything. But to keep making the same mistakes by the same people running this team is maddening. But it’s certainly not beating someone up.
Nah, odds are one o' them Escobars or Jaylons is agonna work out at some point!!!!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nah, odds are one o' them Escobars or Jaylons is agonna work out at some point!!!!
The Jones are holding out for the “even a broken clock is right twice a day” theory. Keep rolling the dice…even 25, 30 times…sooner or later, you have to get “lucky”. That’s the Jones plan. Get lucky.

Pentagruel

Reaction score
Honestly I don’t think drafting is a problem for GM Jerry. Even if you don’t credit him for drafting he has put into place people who are very capable in that department. The Cowboys draft well. The rest of their talent acquisition and also the hiring of coaching personnel has been far more problematic. He hasn’t managed to put the right man in charge in terms of HC for starters. But also, he has not managed the financial aspect of talent acquisition well. That is free agency, both in regards to picking up new players and retaining your current players (or not retaining them I should say). It’s a difficult task of balancing the books, brining in the right players for huge needs on the team, bargaining and playing hardball with your own players, knowing when to give in to them and knowing when to stand firm. It ain’t easy and I think he’s done alright… but alright won’t get you a Super Bowl.

Creeper

Reaction score
i get the comparison, but its more like he bought a race car and needs a professional driver to take it around the track. He can line up the sponerships, make sure the garage is top notch and give the pitcrew the right tools, but there has to be a professional drive in the car or its never going to reach its full potential.

now, if he wants to take it out for a spin, great! but in a race, leave it to the pros.

I think you guys are missing the point. It is not a matter of what Jerry should do. We all think he should turn the team over to people who know what they are doing. But that is not why Jerry is the owner of the Cowboys. He is having fun playing GM even if he sucks at it. He owns the team. He can buy the car and race it himself, even if he comes in last place very race. If Jerry were barred from being GM or having any involvement in the team operations he would probably sell the team and go find a new toy. For him, what would be the point in having the team if he can't play with it?

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Not us fans, of course we are tired. I mean the folks like the agent in the article and the media.

cowboyed

Reaction score
If Jerry is perceived as a true narcissist well then he is not very good at it because he cares about more than just himself. He cares about players, coaches and his family. The Cowboys organization is one of the most giving to charities in the NFL. He also influenced the NFL into establishing and sharing more revenue streams for all football teams, particularly those anchored in smaller markets. Jerry isn't a narcissist or control freak just because he is comfortable in the limelight and doesn't shy away from expressing his opinions. He is and always has been a promoter. He reminds me of those actors that are either past their prime or are seen in too many movies. Overexposure.

Unlike a number of owners in the NFL Jerry does have football experience and was a star offensive guard at the University of Arkansas. That didn't guarantee he would become a great GM and surely that has been case because he is far too subjective and too much of a risk taker. But in all fairness Stephen Jones is very much involved in the decision making along with other key scouting and coaching staff. I think it is unfair that when things are rolling right with the team he hardly gets praised but when things go wrong he gets most of the blame with some posters in here.

I don't feel sorry for always overconfident Jerry because it is quite obvious that he has been quite resilient to internal and external criticism. The great financial value and condition of the team, the one in a kind stadium, sports complex and training facilities are a great in your face, NFL and media. And if he is such a narcissist where are the statues of him around the stadium and sports complex?

kskboys

Reaction score
Honestly I don’t think drafting is a problem for GM Jerry. Even if you don’t credit him for drafting he has put into place people who are very capable in that department. The Cowboys draft well. The rest of their talent acquisition and also the hiring of coaching personnel has been far more problematic. He hasn’t managed to put the right man in charge in terms of HC for starters. But also, he has not managed the financial aspect of talent acquisition well. That is free agency, both in regards to picking up new players and retaining your current players (or not retaining them I should say). It’s a difficult task of balancing the books, brining in the right players for huge needs on the team, bargaining and playing hardball with your own players, knowing when to give in to them and knowing when to stand firm. It ain’t easy and I think he’s done alright… but alright won’t get you a Super Bowl.
Jaylon and Gavin say howdy.

Can you then explain to me why our S's and DT's suck?