Brandin Cooks could be in danger of voiding his $18 million guaranteed salary for 2023

Creeper

Reaction score
I wonder how that impacts the Texans’ cap? Do they still have the hit or not? They might actually prefer he walks away from that deal.

The CAP only counts money paid. If he voids his contract and the Texans do not pay him in 2023 they save his $18 million salary and only count his prorated bonus. In 2022, His salary is less than $1.7 million so their CAP save this year is $100,000 per game he does not play (assuming he actually does void his contract). If they cut him, they owe him his salary this year and next I believe so that goes against their CAP in 2023. This tells me there is not chance they cut him unless he violates the agreement.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Texans are in great position cap wise and with 3 1st rd picks for watson and with cleveland sitting at 3-5 chances of it being a top 5 to 10 pick is pretty good not to mention Houston will have their own 1st rd that will be a #1 overall at this stage

Carson

Reaction score
I wonder how that impacts the Texans’ cap? Do they still have the hit or not? They might actually prefer he walks away from that deal.
Cutting Cooks would leave $26.6 million in dead cap in 2023 and $8.1 million in 2024, but it would net them around $16 million more in cap space for 2024.

Seeing they arent very good, Mills is under a rookie contract and they have the 5th most cap at around $46 million, releasing doesn’t effect them.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
This has to be one of the most overpaid player in the nfl. What kind of blackmail material does he have.
Six 1,000 yards seasons in 8 years and you say over paid. I guess at this rate CeeDee will not get paid. BTW who is the Texans QB, otherwise he would be 7 out of 9 for 1000 yard seasons

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
arte-johnson-very-interesting.gif
...but SHTOOPID!!!

Carson

Reaction score
I doubt they cut him knowing they lose him for nothing. To me just click bait speculation
If he’s unhappy it’s possible. They are 1-5-1 are going to probably lose by 20+ tonight. So they’ll be 1-6-1 and still have to play Dallas, Kansas City, New York, Miami, Washington, Tennessee who are all .500 or above

Reid1boys

Reaction score
These players have to be the dumbest most self entitled bunch of people ever.
Maybe, just maybe playing for a team that is competitive matters to him more than that final year of guaranteed money?. Maybe he was told behind the scenes, he was going to be traded.

Maybe playing on a team that screwed up the qb situation is not what he planned on? Who knows... but I think you surely presume to know what it is.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
If he’s unhappy it’s possible. They are 1-5-1 are going to probably lose by 20+ tonight. So they’ll be 1-6-1 and still have to play Dallas, Kansas City, New York, Miami, Washington, Tennessee who are all .500 or above
they wont cut him unless they thought they could get out of his salary. He could easily say he missed this week for other reasons and even go to the mental health card over the "Stress," of the last week.

He isnt losing that 18 million.

Carson

Reaction score
they wont cut him unless they thought they could get out of his salary. He could easily say he missed this week for other reasons and even go to the mental health card over the "Stress," of the last week.

He isnt losing that 18 million.
Oh no doubt. He was dumb enough to sign that contract even after they traded Watson. He knew damn well they would suck