Brandin Cooks could be in danger of voiding his $18 million guaranteed salary for 2023

lkelly

Reaction score
Nobody is picking up his existing contract with massive guarantee next year I imagine. So if he's cut, he'll likely pass through.

(Edit) Now that I think about it more, could be that his contract guarantees void, thus enabling him to be cut. Technically I guess that means that a team could pick him up with the existing contract, but it's not guaranteed. They could in theory have the flexibility to pay him that rate without a massive penalty should they decide to cut him (like Jimmy G. who was sitting on non-guaranteed money heading into the opening of the season). Then there's also the provision where a player can one time take his salary as termination pay or whatever after being cut. Not sure if Cooks has used that already, but probably not since he has been traded a number of times. I would think the most likely scenario is that a team either picks him up on waivers with the voided guarantees and restructures or he gets very active in his final destination by telling those teams he won't play for them and forces them to squat on him. It's a mess. Will be fun to watch how this unfolds if he does indeed force the issue.

Last edited:

SoBlue128

Reaction score
Nobody is picking up his existing contract with massive guarantee next year I imagine. So if he's cut, he'll likely pass through.

Very true and hard to imagine someone takes on that contract but you never know.

Dre11

Reaction score

Then Dallas is in a bidding war. There was at least 3 other teams interested

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
No way in hell his agent is going to let him do anything that would give the Texans a reason to void his guaranteed money. As mentioned in another thread, since it appears bridges are burned, they may work out some agreement that pays him half for his freedom.

lkelly

Reaction score
If he does end up in Dallas in a week or two with no trade compensation (obviously) and a lower contract number, would have to admit that the front office is playing chess. That's hard to admit.

lkelly

Reaction score
No way in hell his agent is going to let him do anything that would give the Texans a reason to void his guaranteed money. As mentioned in another thread, since it appears bridges are burned, they may work out some agreement that pays him half for his freedom.
Well, depending on the market for his services, he might not actually lose much between the voided guaranteed money and a new open market contract with new guarantees. He may push a little of the next year money down the road, but it could be close to a wash total dollar wise.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No he can't he has to pass through waivers still.

Someone said he wouldn't have to. Maybe he does but if he is claimed he gets the 18 million and is still no longer with houston. Probably still happy

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

(Edit) Now that I think about it more, could be that his contract guarantees void, thus enabling him to be cut. Technically I guess that means that a team could pick him up with the existing contract, but it's not guaranteed. They could in theory have the flexibility to pay him that rate without a massive penalty should they decide to cut him (like Jimmy G. who was sitting on non-guaranteed money heading into the opening of the season). Then there's also the provision where a player can one time take his salary as termination pay or whatever after being cut. Not sure if Cooks has used that already, but probably not since he has been traded a number of times. I would think the most likely scenario is that a team either picks him up on waivers with the voided guarantees and restructures or he gets very active in his final destination by telling those teams he won't play for them and forces them to squat on him. It's a mess. Will be fun to watch how this unfolds if he does indeed force the issue.

My understanding of it is that any team that takes on his current contract would also take on that guarantee for 2023.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then Dallas is in a bidding war. There was at least 3 other teams interested

I’d have to think that Green Bay would be. Word was that they were willing to give Pittsburgh a second round pick for Claypool but they took Chicago’s instead, expecting it to be the higher of the two.

links18

Reaction score
Looks has 18 million reasons to get his head right and start showing up. I wouldn't expect much to happen here....

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Have you paid much attention to any dispute between team and player and how they go down? You Think Kadarius Toney was so injured he couldnt have been playing?

Ok, Im cooke and you kept me regardless of my "Feelings." Bam... damn coach, my hammy just popped. It doesnt feel right. im not going to be able to go this weekend.
Next week... nah coach, Hammy still not feeling well. Gonna need to sit out another eek.

Hey coach... Ill be right back, I just got this weeks game check. I need to go take out 50k in cash for my new Rolex.

I mean the giants traded toney so it’s not apples to apples that’s apples to oranges. If cooks doesn’t play they don’t win. When he does play they don’t win. He can sit out all he wants all that does is make him become a malcontent whose possibly injury prone- they are already paying him.

if you wanted a comparison that’s close (I’ll help you) it would be obj and he gave up significant money- which is what cooks will have to do if he wants to be released this season. Otherwise he can pout and sit out the rest of the year while they continue to tank and then they can address it in the offseason.

that’s not this season tho which is what this thread is about.

Dre11

Reaction score
I’d have to think that Green Bay would be. Word was that they were willing to give Pittsburgh a second round pick for Claypool but they took Chicago’s instead, expecting it to be the higher of the two.

The guy above was talking about Cooks clearing waivers if released. We would end up having to bid for him. The Rams were interested in him too.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The guy above was talking about Cooks clearing waivers if released. We would end up having to bid for him. The Rams were interested in him too.

Agreed. I don’t think anybody will claim that contract but there will definitely be a bidding war for the player afterwards.