Brandin Cooks could be in danger of voiding his $18 million guaranteed salary for 2023

jrumann59

Reaction score
That sounds like the more ‘dubious’ rumor to me.

I’d have no problem signing him as a free agent fir a reasonable price. But it would still price that giving Cooper away was a mistake. Just as trading for Cooper in the first place proved they were wrong about Hurns and the receiver-by-committee approach.
I had no issue with the trade for cooper, I have issue with the new contract only to trade him for a 5th. That literally is changing horses mid stream.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I had no issue with the trade for cooper, I have issue with the new contract only to trade him for a 5th. That literally is changing horses mid stream.

It is. And it reeks of a spite move from the Jones boys. Cooper ‘defied them’ over getting vaxed, and in retaliation, they exiled him to Cleveland for a bag of balls.

‘At’ll show ‘em who’s boss!’
:angry:

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
As stated earlier, he may not wanna be there but no way in hell he's going to give them a reason to void his deal. But, we are talking about the rest of this year AND all of next season. Just don't see this working out that long........they will work something out that gives him his release and save them some money.

absolutely. In the offseason they’ll probably meet in the middle and either find a trade by eating some money or he’ll give up some money for a release. People thinking the Texans are just going to release him because “he wants out” and eat $27m in dead cap space are delusional.

had they not been willing for things to get a little bumpy he would have already been traded at the deadline when he was unhappy and asked out. They didn’t. He doesn’t have leverage.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
eh that's a pretty low risk. He can show up to practice and just jog his routes and not be in default. If he was not willing to change his contract to give up guarantees he'd be pretty dumb to allow a void of the contract as well.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I’d have no problem signing him as a free agent fir a reasonable price. But it would still price that giving Cooper away was a mistake. Just as trading for Cooper in the first place proved they were wrong about Hurns and the receiver-by-committee approach.
Ya based on missing the deadline to negotiate financials, its like something they threw out there to make the fans think they tried to do something

jrumann59

Reaction score
Or could it have been decided, all the reports seemed like it was done deal, maybe a RG type situation, Houston heard whispers from other deals and tried to hold Dallas hostage and changing their mind.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

If his market winds up being in the 10 mil per range, I can get on board for a 2 year deal. We are still a couple years away from any extention in Lamb kicking in, even if we extend him this offseason

Its not gonna in season, and in the offseason there could be better options. Cooks should still have a few years of 1000 yard caliber play, but he will be 30

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or could it have been decided, all the reports seemed like it was done deal, maybe a RG type situation, Houston heard whispers from other deals and tried to hold Dallas hostage and changing their mind.

My belief is that it was essentially a draft-pick-for-cap-room deal and the two teams couldn’t come to terms on the financial part. And so the player is caught in the middle and now disappointed and miserable.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If his market winds up being in the 10 mil per range, I can get on board for a 2 year deal. We are still a couple years away from any extention in Lamb kicking in, even if we extend him this offseason

Its not gonna in season, and in the offseason there could be better options. Cooks should still have a few years of 1000 yard caliber play, but he will be 30

I’m good with $10 million per year, but I’m not sure the player guaranteed $18 million next year would be.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’m good with $10 million per year, but I’m not sure the player guaranteed $18 million next year would be.
I dont think we will be in market if they are trading him. If they cut, I think we would. I think they will have a hard time moving him for that

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont think we will be in market if they are trading him. If they cut, I think we would. I think they will have a hard time moving him for that

Oh definitely. Just like they did this year. Nobody wants him at that price.

Only if his issues with the Texans somehow qualify as voiding his deal and he’s released will Dallas be in the mix. Trade deadline gif this year has passed.

My guess is that Beckham is Plan B at this point.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Oh definitely. Just like they did this year. Nobody wants him at that price.

Only if his issues with the Texans somehow qualify as voiding his deal and he’s released will Dallas be in the mix. Trade deadline gif this year has passed.

Oh no talking about the offseason. He has reported to Houston, so I dont think they are going that route. Looks like he is gonna play season out then they will do something in the offseason

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh no talking about the offseason. He has reported to Houston, so I dont think they are going that route. Looks like he is gonna play season out then they will do something in the offseason

Thanks, I hadn’t heard about him reporting. I guess that, like Elijah Moore, they’ve patched things up enough to get through this season.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wonder if he doesn’t mind to void his deal. Probably has one more future decent payday in 2023 with a team of his choice.
Stephen Jones will get into trade discussions with no intent to actually trade for the player or to trade much less than is being discussed.

It was the strategy he used in the Earl Thomas trade discussions from a few years ago. He got permission to talk to ET/agent and sold him on being a Cowboys player. Then SJ backed off of the trade with the goal of ET forcing his way off the team...either forcing the Seahawks to cut him or trade him for a late round pick.

The Seahawks ended up keeping him but probably should have taken any pick they could get and dumping the distraction and salary.

SJ probably told Cooks that he would take on the contract in a trade if the Texans would agree to the trade. Cooks then knows the Cowboys would pay him if the Texans cut him.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
FWIW, Cooks would not be a free agent long.
He would get handed a substantially larger paycheck then his 2M remaining this year.
And he may be able to get all 20M of his remaining GTD salary.

How??

Well he could very well get a Michael Gallup contract.
Gallup got 5 years, 57M with 23M GTD.

Now a 30-year old Cooks likely doesn't get a real 5-year deal but he could get 3 years with 2 void year on end for cap purposes.

So something like:

12M SB,
2022 remaining -1M
2023 6 Mil ---This 2 years and 19M is all GTD
2024 5M --so 3 years 24M actual deal.
2025 void year for cap
2026 Void year for cap.

cap cost:
2022: 3.4M
2023: 8.4M
2024: 7.4M
2025: Dead 4.8M

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

If Beckham is Plan B then sign him today. There's no benefit in waiting. Get a playbook (Ipad) in his hands do his rehab with Cowboys personnel.

My guess is Beckham is weighing his options at the moment. He's rehabbing on his own and letting his agent take calls.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Beckham is Plan B then sign him today. There's no benefit in waiting. Get a playbook (Ipad) in his hands do his rehab with Cowboys personnel.

My guess is Beckham is weighing his options at the moment. He's rehabbing on his own and letting his agent take calls.

I have that same guess.

I think he’s getting healthy and waiting for the contender that comes to him with the best offer.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The way you guys discredit someone mental health….just crazy to me.

I discredit it because he isnt unique. You think he is the only athlete that has stress or issues going on? We all do. But what we dont do is go hide away and use it as an excuse.
We get up each day, we go to work, we deal with this thing called life and we dont use it as an excuse.

When I had scud missile alarms blaring at 3am in the morning and I had to go running out of our tents to jump int 6ft deep holes in the ground, you think I wasnt stressed. You thin I didnt miss my family and stress about whether or not I was going to make it home?

Sure I did... but I still got up and went to do my job everyday. Then at night I dealt with my mental health issues... much like most Americans do on daily basis.