Twitter: Breer: Colombo Interviews For TE Coach Position

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Makes some sense. Established guys at OL and WR make bringing in a young guy a reasonable task.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
The Pete Mezelaars?

A bit more since you seem to be a history buff

NFL player and coach. Currently Tight Ends coach for San Diego Chargers. Pete Metzelaar's career history: As player: Seattle Seahawks (1982–1984)Buffalo Bills (1985–1994)Carolina Panthers (1995)Detroit Lions (1996–1997) As coach: Charlotte Christian Knights (1998–2002) (Offensive coordinator)Barcelona Dragons (2003)Wingate Bulldogs (2003) (Assistant offense)Indianapolis Colts (2004–2011) (Offensive line)Buffalo Bills (2012) (Tight ends)San Diego Chargers (2014–2015) (Tight ends) Career hig...
Source: https://www.mastermindlounge.com/our-masterminds/sports

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
So basically this is what we are leaning towards:

ST Coordinator - Keith O'Quinn
TE Coach - Colombo
LB Coach - Tanner West
QB Coach - Kellen Moore

Pretty alarming if you ask me.

Gator88

Reaction score
I would prefer someone else other than a guy that had a worse game than Chaz Green's Atlanta game in a playoff game.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
The opposite of meritocracy.

So if meritocracy is being rewarded for merit (or for doing), how are those names the opposite of meritocracy? All have coached in the NFL, isn't that doing? Now if you have to win a SB as a position coach or assistant (or player) to merit it, then the Boys would have to raid the Patriots, Seahawks, Steelers or Broncos coaching staff. I'm thinking they aren't open to being raided. Maybe Elway would consider a QB coaching job here though:thumbup:

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
A lot of professional coaches didn't even play professionally so...

diefree666

Reaction score
I'm shaking my head that I somehow overlooked that one.
Landry was not fast enough to play DB so he had to out think the offense. That is how he became so detail oriented. The coaches for the Giants D even joked about it
"Where is the film from the last game? Where Else- Landry has them"

So he became a defacto coach on the field and towards the end it was official. He was expected to be a D first coach but surprised everyone that he had just as much innovative ability on offense. He is credited with being one of the creators of the 4-3 defense and making Sam Huff the first true MLB.

It was insane but at that time Vince Lombardi was the offensive coordinator and Tom Landry was the Defensive coordinator for the Giants

talk about coaching talent. And some of the assistants were not exactly chopped liver either

http://kenbraiterman.com/tom-landry-and-vince-lombardi-the-ny-giant-years/

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Landry was not fast enough to play DB so he had to out think the offense. That is how he became so detail oriented. The coaches for the Giants D even joked about it
"Where is the film from the last game? Where Else- Landry has them"

So he became a defacto coach on the field and towards the end it was official. He was expected to be a D first coach but surprised everyone that he had just as much innovative ability on offense. He is credited with being one of the creators of the 4-3 defense and making Sam Huff the first true MLB.

It was insane but at that time Vince Lombardi was the offensive coordinator and Tom Landry was the Defensive coordinator for the Giants

talk about coaching talent. And some of the assistants were not exactly chopped liver either

http://kenbraiterman.com/tom-landry-and-vince-lombardi-the-ny-giant-years/

That's the case with a lot of great coaches - they had to make up for a lack of athleticism by having a better understanding of the game than others. That's why I'm not as negative on Kellen Moore at QB coach as many seem to be. It would be different if they were giving him the O-Coordinator position - that's a position where working up through lower level offensive coaching positions is needed. But QB coach IS a lower level offensive coaching position, and not responsible for the overall game plan.

Last edited:

diefree666

Reaction score
That's the case with a lot of great coaches - they had to make up for a lack of athleticism by having a better understanding of the game than others. That's why I'm not as negative on Kellen Moore at QB coach as many seem to be. It would be different if they were giving him the O-Coordinator position - that's a position where working up through lower level offensive coaching positions is needed. But QB coach is a lower level offensive coaching position.
never has been a coach which is why I think its really risky. The situation Dak is in they really need someone very good at COACHING and how does anyone really know he CAN?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
never has been a coach which is why I think its really risky. The situation Dak is in they really need someone very good at COACHING and how does anyone really know he CAN?

How did the Giants know Landry could do it ...?

I don't disagree that there is some risk, but I'm less concerned than I might otherwise be because both Romo and Prescott have praised Moore for his understanding of the game and his help on the sidelines and in practice, and besides, it's not as if he doesn't understand how the coach/QB relationship works or how a coach can help prepare a QB to play. He lived that relationship for over 20 years, and also grew up in a coaching family.