Recommended Breer: Inside the Dallas Decision

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do think there is potential issues with Romo though, as it relates to chemistry and in particular this young team. He would have more control over the offense, while with Dak it's clear he's running things more by design. Now I'm saying without knowing whether this new offense would have Romo waiting until the clock almost expires before the snap, but this is an issue to consider.

From a symbiosis perspective, this could raise issues this far into the season as it relates to momentum.

From my view, if momentum stalls and teams figure out ways to slow down Dak and the team, it makes sense depending how far into the season they are.

To say nothing of Romo checking out of running plays into passing plays depending on what he sees. People are free to speculate and think of that whatever they choose, but there's no doubt in my mind that Romo had that abaikity and exercised it liberally. When many of us were criticizing Garrett and Co. for being pass happy, it wasn't just the coaches deciding to pass, but the quarterback as well.

Dak, Elliott, and this offensive line are executing running plays against 7 and 8-man fronts successfully on a regular basis where I very much believe that for better or worse, Romo would be checking out of them.

Reaction score
This is the problem I have with "the decision"...Tony IS the better QB AND he's smoking Dak in practice.

Ive said it 100 times and I'll keep saying it...you ALWAYS start your best players.

I expect this to bite the cowboys hard....probably to the tune of 1 and done in the playoffs.

It's an impossible situation trying to bench a quarterback that's winning, the second guessing would never end and there's a real chance of the team losing its momentum. Unfortunately the "experts" from outside of the team won't acknowledge the need for Romo until after a playoff loss.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
But I thought this was a team game?

So when Romo loses, its because of his oline, defense, wrs, te, rbs, etc...

Give me a break with this. I've seen QBs drafted by 2-14 teams, carry their team to playoff wins and championship games and it didnt take them 10 years.

Peyton Manning is the best example of what a QB can and can't do.

I firmly believe that prime Peyton Manning was no less than a top 3 QB of all time. He was typically surrounded by bad to good teams, but only a few times 'great ones'. He could get the mediocre teams to the playoffs, typically winning 12+ games except for a few "down years" where they only won 10.

But Peyton in the post-season was 5-10 with Indy in the playoffs if you exclude the super bowl winning 06 season. (7-13 overall without both SB seasons).

During those SB runs, his passer rating was under 75 in both. His team shouldered the most of the weight in those seasons.

It's a team game. A great QB can only get you so far. Even if he's an All-Time great like Peyton.

Romo is not an all time great, but he was enough to keep us from being terrible most years. We had a realistic shot at the playoffs every year he was here except for 2010.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
This breaks down everything about the Romo-Dak conversation and after this, I have no plans to engage anymore, because it pretty much addresses every question I might have had about the situation. Very good read, IMO.

----------------------------------------------
Last week, finally healthy, Tony Romo expressed to the Cowboys brass a desire to fight for the job he now could acknowledge wouldn’t be just handed back to him.

And then, he went out and backed it up by having as good a week as possible piloting a scout team. According to those there, 100 percent is selling it short. “He looked like (Ben) Roethlisberger,” is how one Dallas source illustrated the Pittsburgh look Romo gave the Dallas defense in practice.

That was as good a sign as any that there really wasn’t anything he could do. The job Romo held for 10 years isn’t his anymore. And the idea that a red-hot Dallas team could open a quarterback competition in November was never realistic.

The 2016 Cowboys are Dak Prescott’s team. Officially now, and not just for Sunday’s showdown against the AFC North-leading Baltimore Ravens.

And Romo isn’t the only person who finds the conclusion hard to accept.

Read the rest: http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/11/16/...back-dak-prescott-tony-romo-stephen-jones-nfl
Cosign.

Plumfool

Reaction score
That second part is what some people refuse to acknowledge.

"But the risk of doing that far outweighs the reward, with the gap between what Romo could bring and what Prescott does bring closing by the week."

That's what stood out to me as well. We can talk about what Romo can do for the offense but it's a risk to upset what is actually going on.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's what stood out to me as well. We can talk about what Romo can do for the offense but it's a risk to upset what is actually going on.

To say nothing of the inevitable change that it would make to how the current offense is running. Less run plays, no option stuff at all, and very likely more empty backfield passing. There's no guarantee that wouldn't make things worse rather than better.

We know for a fact that what they're currently doing is working. That's undeniable.

odog422

Reaction score
That second part is what some people refuse to acknowledge.

"But the risk of doing that far outweighs the reward, with the gap between what Romo could bring and what Prescott does bring closing by the week."

To say nothing of the inevitable change that it would make to how the current offense is running. Less run plays, no option stuff at all, and very likely more empty backfield passing. There's no guarantee that wouldn't make things worse rather than better.

We know for a fact that what they're currently doing is working. That's undeniable.

To that end, what if the insertion of Romo results in a loss? What is the effect on the team to see what was working changed for no reason other to get Romo back on the field?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To that end, what if the insertion of Romo results in a loss? What is the effect on the team to see what was working changed for no reason other to get Romo back on the field?

It doesn't look like we have to worry about that any longer. And I'm not.

I'm choosing to enjoy 'the gift of 8-1, and drink it in man!'

:thumbup:

(One bonus 'Like' to the first person who understand the reference)

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It doesn't look like we have to worry about that any longer. And I'm not.

I'm choosing to enjoy 'the gift of 8-1, and drink it in man!'

:thumbup:

(One bonus 'Like' to the first person who understand the reference)

Wrestling or something, boxing?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
This is the problem I have with "the decision"...Tony IS the better QB AND he's smoking Dak in practice.

Ive said it 100 times and I'll keep saying it...you ALWAYS start your best players.

I expect this to bite the cowboys hard....probably to the tune of 1 and done in the playoffs.

LOL how do you know Tony is smoking Dak in practice? Where's you source?

Plumfool

Reaction score
Another thing I think that gets ignored is what the article stated in regards to leadership styles. And for this particular team Daks leadership style is best.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I quoted it ding dong.

Further, if Dak was beating tony in practice...it would make world headlines

So your logic is that if Dak was beating Romo in practice it would be making headlines. Therefore, theres no headlines it must be safe to say Romo is beating Dak?

What a strange logic that is......

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
So your logic is that if Dak was beating Romo in practice it would be making headlines. Therefore, theres no headlines it must be safe to say Romo is beating Dak?

What a strange logic that is......

You're welcome to counter and find the following statements on dak

"Playing full 100%"

"Playing like Ben Roethlisberger"

"Destroying the defense"

"Throwing missiles"

"Man on a mission"

Those statements are not being made of Dak because he isnt going that.

If he isnt doing MORE than those, then he is getting beat by Tony.

Its quite simple really.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
You're welcome to counter and find the following statements on dak

"Playing full 100%"

"Playing like Ben Roethlisberger"

"Destroying the defense"

"Throwing missiles"

"Man on a mission"

Those statements are not being made of Dak because he isnt going that.

If he isnt doing MORE than those, then he is getting beat by Tony.

Its quite simple really.

LOL whatever you want to think. The truth is that Dak will remain the starter, no Romo. Nothing against Romo. But I believe Dak is just right for this team and doesn't need to be elite.