Recommended Breer: Inside the Dallas Decision

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
This breaks down everything about the Romo-Dak conversation and after this, I have no plans to engage anymore, because it pretty much addresses every question I might have had about the situation. Very good read, IMO.

----------------------------------------------
Last week, finally healthy, Tony Romo expressed to the Cowboys brass a desire to fight for the job he now could acknowledge wouldn’t be just handed back to him.

And then, he went out and backed it up by having as good a week as possible piloting a scout team. According to those there, 100 percent is selling it short. “He looked like (Ben) Roethlisberger,” is how one Dallas source illustrated the Pittsburgh look Romo gave the Dallas defense in practice.

That was as good a sign as any that there really wasn’t anything he could do. The job Romo held for 10 years isn’t his anymore. And the idea that a red-hot Dallas team could open a quarterback competition in November was never realistic.

This is the problem I have with "the decision"...Tony IS the better QB AND he's smoking Dak in practice.

Ive said it 100 times and I'll keep saying it...you ALWAYS start your best players.

I expect this to bite the cowboys hard....probably to the tune of 1 and done in the playoffs.

khiladi

Reaction score
This is the problem I have with "the decision"...Tony IS the better QB AND he's smoking Dak in practice.

Ive said it 100 times and I'll keep saying it...you ALWAYS start your best players.

I expect this to bite the cowboys hard....probably to the tune of 1 and done in the playoffs.

Where have you hear he's smoking Dak in practice?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By

Both Jerry and Stephen are quoted in the article.. It starts with Jerry quotes and transitions to Stephen quotes.
Here's the entire passage from Breer's article that includes the first quote I posted:
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and his son Stephen Jones are exceptionally close to their quarterback, who has been a Cowboy for longer than Troy Aikman was. My sense all along was the exhilaration of an eight-game winning streak was tempered by the increasingly obvious call looming on the horizon. So when I told Stephen Jones, the Cowboys chief operating officer, I’d heard Romo privately asked for the chance to wrest the job back, Jones acknowledged that with deference.

“Tony’s smart,” Jones said, from his cell in the middle of his Wednesday workday. “He’s very bright. And so when he came out and said it, in the end, I don’t think it took him long to figure that wouldn’t be a great thing for the team. We’ve got a good thing, and no one wants Dak looking over his shoulder.”
I believe stasheroo is correct that it's Stephen Jones' quote.

khiladi

Reaction score
The article woodys cited was he was practicing at a 100% level and destroying the dallas D like big ben.

That means he's smoking Dak...as we would all expect.

Me right now, for my man Tony

759.gif

rynochop

Reaction score

I'm not doubting you, but where are you hearing Tony is smoking Dak in practice

erod

Reaction score
Favre, Manning, Montana.. these Super Bowl winning QBs werent giving a chance to earn back their jobs. And we are talking about a 2 playoff win QB as if he is on the same level as these guys. Give me a break. Reality now is that this is Daks job for the next decade and beyond and people should be happy the team is 8-1 and that we have a good starting QB and a good backup QB.

Apples and oranges.

Dak is a long way from being Aaron Rodgers or Steve Young, who had been around a while before those moves were made. Andrew Luck was the first overall pick and was making big money.

And enough with the 2-playoff win QB nonsense. Romo carried those teams to the playoffs by himself.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

It's a well-known and well-discussed topic that Dak sometimes struggles in practice.

Even Dak himself has told the media in interviews that he throws too many interceptions and makes mistakes.

But when the bright lights of Sunday come on, he performs.

The NFL isn't a plug-n'-play league. We can't expect the Cowboys to enjoy the same (or higher) level of success just because they replace Dak with Romo. Starting your best players doesn't always mean you will be a better team.

And for what it's worth, I also think Romo is still the far superior QB right now.

No matter the outcome of the season.. if we don't win the Super Bowl, there will be a ton of people who question the QB decision we make.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Favre, Manning, Montana.. these Super Bowl winning QBs werent giving a chance to earn back their jobs. And we are talking about a 2 playoff win QB as if he is on the same level as these guys. Give me a break. Reality now is that this is Daks job for the next decade and beyond and people should be happy the team is 8-1 and that we have a good starting QB and a good backup QB.

I think that in all three cases, the organizations made tough decisions, decisions with the future in mind, which ultimately benefitted all of them. Maybe not immediately, but eventually, all three teams were better off in the long run. And I think the Cowboys face that same decision.

Animosity

Reaction score
Apples and oranges.

And enough with the 2-playoff win QB nonsense. Romo carried those teams to the playoffs by himself.

But I thought this was a team game?

So when Romo loses, its because of his oline, defense, wrs, te, rbs, etc...

Give me a break with this. I've seen QBs drafted by 2-14 teams, carry their team to playoff wins and championship games and it didnt take them 10 years.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
If or when the Cowboys running game gets shut down because of good defense, or being down by a lot of points, is when we'll wish it was Romo out there.

This is so true.

But what we wish for in a moment of defeat likely isn't congruent with what the right decision is.

Despite how well we're playing, the basic mathematical odds of the Cowboys winning the super bowl are less than them not winning it. And therefore, we'll likely second guess any decision.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
I think that in all three cases, the organizations made tough decisions, decisions with the future in mind, which ultimately benefitted all of them. Maybe not immediately, but eventually, all three teams were better off in the long run. And I think the Cowboys face that same decision.
I agree, to a certain extent stash, but Dak is here for the "long run" no matter what. I've kept pretty quiet in this subject because I'm sick of the douhebag comments but (as another poster pontificated) if we DON'T win the Super Bowl this year, not giving Romo a shot this year was a major mistake, IMHO.

Good to see ya again, brother.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree, to a certain extent stash, but Dak is here for the "long run" no matter what. I've kept pretty quiet in this subject because I'm sick of the douhebag comments but (as another poster pontificated) if we DON'T win the Super Bowl this year, not giving Romo a shot this year was a major mistake, IMHO.

I guess I couldn't fault anyone for saying "what if?" if that were to happen, but they'd also need to do the same with regard to this team's ultimate record in getting there. Dak has this team 8-1, and his own play would have them undefeated. If he got them to the Super Bowl and lost, I see more credit for him than blame, even if it ended up being him who cost the team the game. The future would still look incredibly bright.

Good to see ya again, brother.

Likewise.

khiladi

Reaction score
I do think there is potential issues with Romo though, as it relates to chemistry and in particular this young team. He would have more control over the offense, while with Dak it's clear he's running things more by design. Now I'm saying without knowing whether this new offense would have Romo waiting until the clock almost expires before the snap, but this is an issue to consider.

From a symbiosis perspective, this could raise issues this far into the season as it relates to momentum.

From my view, if momentum stalls and teams figure out ways to slow down Dak and the team, it makes sense depending how far into the season they are.

khiladi

Reaction score
I guess I couldn't fault anyone for saying "what if?" if that were to happen, but they'd also need to do the same with regard to this team's ultimate record in getting there. Dak has this team 8-1, and his own play would have them undefeated. If he got them to the Super Bowl and lost, I see more credit for him than blame, even if it ended up being him who cost the team the game. The future would still look incredibly bright.

Likewise.

You can say his own play, but against the Eagles he wasn't up to par. Yes, his last drive was, but he basically threw two what should have been INTs in crucial plays that would have sealed the deal. The one I remember off the top of my head was where TWill broke the play up.

His overall work on that game alone would challenge your view that the mistakes of his team in Giants game is the "only" reason Dak is not undefeated.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can say his own play, but against the Eagles he wasn't up to par. Yes, his last drive was, but he basically threw two what should have been INTs in crucial plays that would have sealed the deal. The one I remember off the top of my head was where TWill broke the play up.

His overall work on that game alone would challenge your view that the mistakes of his team in Giants game is the "only" reason Dak is not undefeated.

I'd be willing to accept that premise, but in that case, the team would still be 8-1, right? By your assumption, he should have cost us the Eagles game, his play should have won us that Giants game. So, we'd still be 8-1.