Brees willing to take below market contract

Jenky

Reaction score
  • DREW BREESQB, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports impending free agent Drew Brees is willing to take a below-market deal with the Saints.
    Brees has already said he is re-signing with the Saints, so it is just a matter of working out the details. Rapsheet expects Brees to settle for somewhere in the neighborhood of what he was making under his recently-expired two-year deal, which was $25 million per season. The Saints always need to get creative with the cap, so this will be a big help as Brees desperately seeks his second Super Bowl title.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
    Mar 12, 2020, 3:54 PM ET

Jenky

Reaction score
Is he marrying Gisele too?

This gives the Saints such an unfair advantage.. These QB's who take team friendly deals just give their team a much better chance at a Superbowl.

Prescott and record breaking deal for you.

817Gill

Reaction score
Not really fair to compare a 42 year old on his last deal to Prescott on his first lol. Remember those 3 straight 7-9 seasons after Brees asked for every last penny?

As long as Dak isn't far north of 35M, he'll be the eighth highest paid QB in two seasons let alone the cap increase. I'd be disappointed at any deal over 35ish, but that and under aren't going to be nearly as prohibitive as posters think.

Mahomes
Watson
Jackson
Allen
Darnold
Mayfield

That doesn't even account for QB's currently under contract who will be up in the next season or two.

As long as these guys remain capable starters they'll all get more than Dak. Next in line gets the next highest amount. Don't blame me blame the QB market.

Last edited:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports impending free agent Drew Brees is willing to take a below-market deal with the Saints.
    Brees has already said he is re-signing with the Saints, so it is just a matter of working out the details. Rapsheet expects Brees to settle for somewhere in the neighborhood of what he was making under his recently-expired two-year deal, which was $25 million per season. The Saints always need to get creative with the cap, so this will be a big help as Brees desperately seeks his second Super Bowl title.

good for him. They have built a really good team, maybe they can continue to do that and make another run at a SB before this HOF retires.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This gives the Saints such an unfair advantage.. These QB's who take team friendly deals just give their team a much better chance at a Superbowl.
Bigamy is illegal, even in Louisiana.

What Brees does have though, is a net worth of about $120 million, and a limit on how many years he has left, so a team friendly deal is easier to concede than for a 26 year old player with a net worth of about $2 million.

Once Dak has his contract I would be surprised if he doesn't work with the team to restructure along the way to allow more cap space. That's so much easier to do once a palyer's financial future is secure.

Proof

Reaction score
giphy.gif

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Yeah, but Dak means so much to Jerry he will mortgage the Cowboys future for Dak.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score

talk him out of there!!!! Ha

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

It's interesting, I was just talking about Brees earlier today and the hold out deal in 2012 or whatever year it was. So, does this now reset the market for QBs or will people say that Brees is not one of the top QBs in the league?

I don't know. I know this though, you are right. This absolutely gives the Saints a clear advantage in the league. That's a really big deal right there.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

And it also tells you all you need to know about Dak.

Dude is a fraud.

Pure and simple.

We need to break off negotiations immediately and go shopping with his and Amari's money.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I wonder if he would take below market value if he got paid $4 million total for the last 4 years?

What does this have to do with anything? The team didn't dictate where Dak was drafted and truth be told, his situation would have been even worse had the Cowboys not drafted him in the 4th so does that mean that Dak should somehow be greateful to the Cowboys? I doubt many would view it that way.

The team also didn't mandate that Dak only play for 4 mil over the last 4 years. They tried to help him make more but it was Dak who elected to stay in that contract situation so I don't get it?

I guess if this is about money then the answer is no, he probably wouldn't. If this is about winning, and lets all be honest here, it's not as if what is being offered to Dak (reportedly) is a bad deal. It's the best paying NFL contract in history, according to the numbers reported. Then yeah, I think you do if you are smart and if you feel like you are a team who is capable of winning it all. Then yes, maybe you do.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Bigamy is illegal, even in Louisiana.

What Brees does have though, is a net worth of about $120 million, and a limit on how many years he has left, so a team friendly deal is easier to concede than for a 26 year old player with a net worth of about $2 million.

Once Dak has his contract I would be surprised if he doesn't work with the team to restructure along the way to allow more cap space. That's so much easier to do once a palyer's financial future is secure.

Restructuring is only pushing money further into the future. You create relief today but only add to the pain later. When your making 35 million a year, or whatever, who cares if you are only bringing home 15 of it this year. At the end of your career, you are bringing home a lot more of it when you need it more.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
What does this have to do with anything? The team didn't dictate where Dak was drafted and truth be told, his situation would have been even worse had the Cowboys not drafted him in the 4th so does that mean that Dak should somehow be greateful to the Cowboys? I doubt many would view it that way.

The team also didn't mandate that Dak only play for 4 mil over the last 4 years. They tried to help him make more but it was Dak who elected to stay in that contract situation so I don't get it?

I guess if this is about money then the answer is no, he probably wouldn't. If this is about winning, and lets all be honest here, it's not as if what is being offered to Dak (reportedly) is a bad deal. It's the best paying NFL contract in history, according to the numbers reported. Then yeah, I think you do if you are smart and if you feel like you are a team who is capable of winning it all. Then yes, maybe you do.
His rookie contract was set. Extending early last year would have just given him an advance on the years added on.

It’s easy to take less than market value when you’ve already cashed in big contracts. While you can certainly hope a player would help the team out, it certainly shouldn’t be surprising a player who has played for peanuts and significantly outperformed his pay rate isn’t looking to give a discount.

plymkr

Reaction score

It's too bad our genius GM and his adopted idiot son/coach didn't take advantage when we had the unfair advantage with Dak's rookie contract. With that being said I wish Dak would follow Brees and Brady's lead by being a team player with the cap. He'll take a little less to hopefully win a little more, or win it all. And leave a legacy behind.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And it also tells you all you need to know about Dak.

Dude is a fraud.

Pure and simple.

We need to break off negotiations immediately and go shopping with his and Amari's money.
Treating a guy with a net worth of $2 million dollars as if he is in the same situation as a guy with a net worth of $120 million is a bogus position to take. They are not in the same situations. If Dak were 42 years old with a net worth of $120 million and was certain to make the Hall of Fame his attitude would be different than it is today.