Brent fails two drug test...Ordered back to jail

ufcrules1

Reaction score
It was time to cut this guy the moment he got arrested for driving drunk and killing his friend. He shouldn't have been on the team any longer at that point.

It's way beyond the time to cut him at this point.

Bingo. I can't believe some here are too blind to see that.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
It's unbelievable that he has not been cut. Wait, correction, it IS believable.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Bingo. I can't believe some here are too blind to see that.

Agree. You can't help people who refuse to help themselves. After he killed his friend, most would cut him BUT I can see how some might say "support him, he made a HUGE mistake, but needs guidance." After he fails one drug test though, then you cut the cord. Two drug tests..come on..its getting embarrassing. It's like they are saying "but he can really play a strong NT."

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I understand the outrage of some but the guy is not 'with the team'. I was very close to my niece who was killed by a drunk driver. Jerry's mother asked Jerry to support the guy which they appear to be doing although it also doesn't appear to be anything but avoidance. The league office hasn't even stepped in yet so why should the Cowboys? You want the guy punished and you want him away from the team. That's being done on both counts and the punishment is only going to ratchet up once the court system and NFL FO gets thru with him. He's going to pay for his tragic and horrible mistake. I can't imagine he won't be suspended for a time and the team may or may not release depending on if they wish to honor Jerry's mother etc. I don't know if the NFL has a program for players who have an addiction problem but that could be a reason to keep him on the team. I'm much more interested in any mechanism that allows Brent to help the victim's family than I am in just retribution. If they can do that and him repay his debt to society as well then great. I'm also very interested in rehabbing Brent so he stays clean and sober and doesn't kill, disable or maim someone else down the road. No problem with punishing Brent and he deserves consequences. His consequences just take a backseat to the victim's family and him staying sober IMO.

And no I'm not a bleeding heart. I'm just much more pragmatic in my older age.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
I understand the outrage of some but the guy is not 'with the team'. I was very close to my niece who was killed by a drunk driver. Jerry's mother asked Jerry to support the guy which they appear to be doing although it also doesn't appear to be anything but avoidance. The league office hasn't even stepped in yet so why should the Cowboys? You want the guy punished and you want him away from the team. That's being done on both counts and the punishment is only going to ratchet up once the court system and NFL FO gets thru with him. He's going to pay for his tragic and horrible mistake. I can't imagine he won't be suspended for a time and the team may or may not release depending on if they wish to honor Jerry's mother etc. I don't know if the NFL has a program for players who have an addiction problem but that could be a reason to keep him on the team. I'm much more interested in any mechanism that allows Brent to help the victim's family than I am in just retribution. If they can do that and him repay his debt to society as well then great. I'm also very interested in rehabbing Brent so he stays clean and sober and doesn't kill, disable or maim someone else down the road. No problem with punishing Brent and he deserves consequences. His consequences just take a backseat to the victim's family and him staying sober IMO.

And no I'm not a bleeding heart. I'm just much more pragmatic in my older age.

Couldn't disagree with you more. It's no longer about the wishes of Jerry's mother. This is an organization that can not be held hostage by his mother any longer, especially when the guy who did it keeps violating his probation which is sending the message that he just doesn't care or is a total idiot. Which is also the reason Jerry is dead right now. This guy has had 2 dui's one resulting in the death of his teammate and violated his probation not 1 time, but 2 times. He 100% needs to be cut and no longer associated in ANY way with the Cowboys. The fact that it has not happened yet directly reflects our country club atmosphere here.

I don't care about "punishment" etc. I just don't want the guy associated with the Cowboys any longer. He has let enough people down around him and continues to do so, he is responsible for his own destiny, not the Cowboys.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Couldn't disagree with you more. It's no longer about the wishes of Jerry's mother. This is an organization that can not be held hostage by his mother any longer, especially when the guy who did it keeps violating his probation which is sending the message that he just doesn't care or is a total idiot. Which is also the reason Jerry is dead right now. This guy has had 2 dui's one resulting in the death of his teammate and violated his probation not 1 time, but 2 times. He 100% needs to be cut and no longer associated in ANY way with the Cowboys. The fact that it has not happened yet directly reflects our country club atmosphere here.

I don't care about "punishment" etc. I just don't want the guy associated with the Cowboys any longer. He has let enough people down around him and continues to do so, he is responsible for his own destiny, not the Cowboys.

While he hasn't been cut he doesn't associate with the club so unless you're hung up on the technicality of the issue he is for all practical purposes not with the club. There is no hurry to cut the guy. If they want they can probably get some money back. If he's damaged the club then that's already occurred. He's no longer at VR and even if he were cut now he'd be called a Cowboy by the media until and if this issue ever fades away. So cutting him or not isn't going to affect the corporate image of the Cowboys. In fact the better than handle this the better they look. And if they go against Mom's wishes then she could take it out on the 'insensitive Cowboys' thru the media and some of it will be deserved.

There is no reasonable way to consider the club being held hostage by the victim's mother. Since he was an employee albeit a contract employee of the Cowboys then it may even be in the Cowboys best interest to keep her as happy as they can for reasons other than the above. I don't know the civil laws of Texas but it may be possible for the family of the victim to go after the Cowboys in a civil suit.

It's no skin off anyone for him to be or not to be released. This is a matter for the victim's family, the Cowboys, and the league to hash out. They don't need our intervention. Seeing him sober for the next thirty or forty years would be a huge deal for him and society as a whole. And the state of Texas is going to get their piece as well. He's never going to completely crawl out from under that rock.

Any other objective is self serving rather than benefiting the Cowboys or anyone else. I can understand it but I don't agree with it. You can have the last word.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
As the Tuna once said, 'Some guys just get it, others don't.'

This dude obviously doesn't get it. If I killed my best friend I wouldn't touch any mind altering substances. Cut this dude, we aren't that deprived for DL depth that you have to compromise your moral compass for the sake of a backup interior guy.

mrmojo

Reaction score
So what have the Cowboys been doing the past 7 months to get this guy help, if anything? That he is still on the roster and continues to fail drug tests does not reflect well on the organization. Im all for giving second chances but at some point you have to realize some individuals just dont get it. Addiction, of any kind, is hard to kick if the individual is not willing to accept the help to change their lives, even at the cost of another persons life.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So what have the Cowboys been doing the past 7 months to get this guy help, if anything? That he is still on the roster and continues to fail drug tests does not reflect well on the organization. Im all for giving second chances but at some point you have to realize some individuals just dont get it. Addiction, of any kind, is hard to kick if the individual is not willing to accept the help to change their lives, even at the cost of another persons life.

It's hard to say, but I imagine they've been giving whatever assistance they can in this case. The player obviously needs it, and it's necessary if you're ever going to rehabilitate his career.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
While he hasn't been cut he doesn't associate with the club so unless you're hung up on the technicality of the issue he is for all practical purposes not with the club. There is no hurry to cut the guy. If they want they can probably get some money back. If he's damaged the club then that's already occurred. He's no longer at VR and even if he were cut now he'd be called a Cowboy by the media until and if this issue ever fades away. So cutting him or not isn't going to affect the corporate image of the Cowboys. In fact the better than handle this the better they look. And if they go against Mom's wishes then she could take it out on the 'insensitive Cowboys' thru the media and some of it will be deserved.

There is no reasonable way to consider the club being held hostage by the victim's mother. Since he was an employee albeit a contract employee of the Cowboys then it may even be in the Cowboys best interest to keep her as happy as they can for reasons other than the above. I don't know the civil laws of Texas but it may be possible for the family of the victim to go after the Cowboys in a civil suit.

It's no skin off anyone for him to be or not to be released. This is a matter for the victim's family, the Cowboys, and the league to hash out. They don't need our intervention. Seeing him sober for the next thirty or forty years would be a huge deal for him and society as a whole. And the state of Texas is going to get their piece as well. He's never going to completely crawl out from under that rock.

Any other objective is self serving rather than benefiting the Cowboys or anyone else. I can understand it but I don't agree with it. You can have the last word.

Nothing you just said changed my previous statement. So I will let my previous statement stand. Cowboys need to cut him immediately and it is a joke that they haven't already.

ufcrules1

Reaction score

He has had more than a second chance.. he is on chance #4 now. Long overdue for a cut!

aikemirv

Reaction score
If Jerry is keeping him on the team technically because he is concerned about him and thinks it would be better for him that way then I think that is a nice jesture on Jerry's part and shows his genuine concern for the guy. Good for Jerry. The kid obviously needs a lot of help and support and I really could care less how Jerry decides to give that to him. When you guys earn your billions and buy a team you get to decide how you want to handle it, otherwise all you get to do is complain!

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Jerry is keeping him on the team technically because he is concerned about him and thinks it would be better for him that way then I think that is a nice jesture on Jerry's part and shows his genuine concern for the guy. Good for Jerry. The kid obviously needs a lot of help and support and I really could care less how Jerry decides to give that to him. When you guys earn your billions and buy a team you get to decide how you want to handle it, otherwise all you get to do is complain!

I agree. It might be misguided in this case (or might not be, time will tell), but this dramatic criticism of the organization for what's obviously their best-efforts at helping to rehabilitate this player is really unfair. Brent needs a lot of help. If the Cowboys can be an instrument in him getting it, I don't see how or why anybody should be upset by that..

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
So far as jerra's helping Brent, I hope he is also helping the victim's family.

As for Brent, no worries. He don't need no football. With his leading man looks, he can go into acting.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Until it negatively impacts the team's well being or performance, .. I don't see a reason not to still try to help him beat this addiction.

I have coached youth sports for many many seasons. As a coach, these boys become your own. You would do anything to help them. Some need more than others. Some need help over a longer period of time.

It's a hard thing to stop caring, and stop trying to get through to them and help them grow up.

Pretty neat when they finally stand on their own, .. and when they look at you, you can see it in their eyes, .. "I couldn't have made it without you coach, .. thanks for never giving up on me."

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
He is either really stupid, beyond what I initially thought, or is having a really hard time dealing with the loss of his friend and has turned to drugs and alcohol. I really hope its not the latter.

Some people are just weak. No excuses, no reasons, no outs. He may just have no discipline or will power. Take the accident and how he lived his life as Exhibit A. I know lots of people like him. I have people in my family like him. They go to jail, rehab, hospital .... get clean for months ... maybe even years at a time. Talk the good talk. Even walk the good walk and say how good it feels to live a clean life. Next thing you know, they're right back at it. They're just powerless and weak when it comes to this type of stuff. Only they can determine what it takes to turn it around. Sometimes you just got to let it go.