Brian Baldinger: BaldysBreakdowns Mazi Smith: Raiders

gtb1943

Reaction score
I’m a huge critic of Mazi but he definitely looked a lot better last night. Had some good reps other than that run that he got blown up on. He is still killing me being soooo glacially slow off the snap, which is a big part of winning/losing reps along the OL/DL.
Yeah. I did not see all that much improvement; but then again he sucked so bad the first two games...

ArmChairGM

Reaction score
I’m a huge critic of Mazi but he definitely looked a lot better last night. Had some good reps other than that run that he got blown up on. He is still killing me being soooo glacially slow off the snap, which is a big part of winning/losing reps along the OL/DL.
Hopefully, once he gets more comfortable with the new technique he's learning, he'll get quicker off the snap. I do know his being slow off the snap was an issue in college, though. Let's just hope it's something he can improve.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
When a 3rd year second rounder gets praised for good preseason reps (sucked every other chance he got) and a rookie 1st rounder gets bashed for bad ones you know what time it is with some posters.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
His first game was actually pretty decent. Seattle game was just terrible. He'll probably get 15 to 20 snaps a game the first half of the season

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Playing next to, and behind Hankins can do nothing but help him.
I look for him to play a secondary role this whole season - and blossom next year.
Strong like bull, needs refinement.

Unlike alot of impatient posters on this site, I'm comfortable with him, and feel the second half of the season will be better for him than the first. With coaching and having Hankins in his ear all year.
Patience grasshoppers, patience...

starfrombirth

Reaction score
NT’s seem to usually take a few years to fully develop, not worried yet
I see a lot of good things to go with the bad. I think by mid season we will have a legit 1st round worthy rookie playing. He is starting with a higher base strength than most and will get much stronger with an NFL strength program and will learn technique and awareness from the classroom, the veterans, and playtime. I'm looking forward to watching him play :D

McMicah

Reaction score
Remember that the cowboys gassed him partially for conditioning.

When he and Hankins are trading in and out, he will be the fresh, early game version of himself, which has played well in the preseason.

He’s still learning how to play this position the NFL way. The bail on the screen was very heads up, and that’s a great sign. This is going to end up a solid pick. Not sexy, just solid