Brian Baldinger: BaldysBreakdowns Mazi Smith: Raiders

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I’m a huge critic of Mazi but he definitely looked a lot better last night. Had some good reps other than that run that he got blown up on. He is still killing me being soooo glacially slow off the snap, which is a big part of winning/losing reps along the OL/DL.
I'm really hoping the plan is to play him next to Hankins on first down. He might get blown off the ball vs. doubles, but then that gives Hankins more single blocks. If they double Hankins, then Mazi gets single blocks where he will sometimes win with power even with how slow he is off the snap.

I was hoping to see a little pass rush potential with him, but right now, with how slow he is off the snap, I think he's just a run-down player. Hope that develops as he gets better at anticipating/reacting to the snap.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Hopefully, once he gets more comfortable with the new technique he's learning, he'll get quicker off the snap. I do know his being slow off the snap was an issue in college, though. Let's just hope it's something he can improve.
I read that Michigan's role for Mazi was to 1st read then react........Now his job is to react then read. There's a difference.
He'll learn it and adapt. :thumbup:

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
It's ridiculous to have called him a bust. He's a rookie. People are also going to criticize him because he doesn't make flashy plays, and that he was a first round pick.

Well I'll counter with two names. Vince Wilfork and Haloti Ngata. Both first round picks. Both played about 180 career games. Ngata had 32.5 career sacks and only 6.5 his first four seasons. WIlfork had 16 career sacks. Both were key cogs in good defenses. Why? Because they filled a roll!

Mazi isn't going to put up stats. What we need him to do is make others jobs easier, to help stop our defenses biggest weakness. Stopping the run. How many times did hurts run that read option last year. Its successful because if we cheat outside they go inside, if we cheat inside they go out. Having a key cog in the middle (with mazi and hankins rotating) is going to be big.

jrumann59

Reaction score
NT’s seem to usually take a few years to fully develop, not worried yet
Yes and getting proper strength where it matters just like most OL, usually their 2nd season NFL strength and conditioning starts to show.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Some fans look at the stat sheet and judge. Problem is the stat sheet will never show a lot for a nose tackle. Mazi has had his ups and downs this offseason, which is expected for a rookie. However, we've seen growth and potential on a number of plays this preseason. Its also clear he has a motor because he's continuing to play even when he's not in position to make an immediate play.

High motor combined with strength and athleticism will bode well for his development.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I see a lot of good things to go with the bad. I think by mid season we will have a legit 1st round worthy rookie playing. He is starting with a higher base strength than most and will get much stronger with an NFL strength program and will learn technique and awareness from the classroom, the veterans, and playtime. I'm looking forward to watching him play :D
The Combine had his Comparison Player as Dontari Poe. I'll take that any day.
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/mazi-smith/3200534d-4951-1850-a3da-289c89c7e5d4

He's often been getting a push on olinemen. As you say, he already good base strength. And he's just barely 22. He'll be growing into that body for years to come.

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/20...th-flashes-freak-strength-at-nfl-combine.html
Smith powered through 34 reps of 225 pounds on the bench inside Lucas Oil Stadium, besting all other participating defensive linemen on the day, confirming his brute upper-body strength.​
There was a reason the 6-foot-3, 323-pound tackle was touted as college football’s No. 1 “freak” by The Athletic, and his sheer strength was a big reason why. Last summer, Michigan reported Smith as pushing 20-plus reps of 325 pounds (not the typical 225) and a max bench of 550 pounds.​

reddyuta

Reaction score
its interesting that he still is as slow off the ball as he was in college.I would have thought our DC would have coached him out of it.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a guy who used to get double teamed a lot. It's not easy to always hold the point LOL.
Mazi is going to be solid, he's going to collapse pockets leading to many interceptions.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
its interesting that he still is as slow off the ball as he was in college.I would have thought our DC would have coached him out of it.
You've got to learn a little bit first, speed and quickness will follow. DQ likely has him learning what to expect pre-snap.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Second and third reps are the ones that matter. His value as a first-rounder is always going to be defined by his ability to blow up single-man blocks. If he can do that, he'll be an effectiive and disruptive player.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I’m a huge critic of Mazi but he definitely looked a lot better last night. Had some good reps other than that run that he got blown up on. He is still killing me being soooo glacially slow off the snap, which is a big part of winning/losing reps along the OL/DL.
Those were 3rd stringers he played against.