Brian Baldinger: BaldysBreakdowns Mazi Smith: Raiders

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If you don't understand his assignment or his role just say that:lmao:. In college he was asked to read then react, I'm sure he'll make whatever adjustments he needs to make.
Changing the subject wont help you get out of this one.

You complimented his motor. I asked you a simple question............what motor?

How are those adjustments going? Right now he doesnt look good. I'm sure he will get better if he works hard.

Just dont come on here hailing his motor when he is slowest guy off the line most plays.

ghst187

Reaction score
I fully admit I thought he would contribute right away. Disappointed to see he wont. To me if you have special talent, it shows up right away no matter position you play. Mazi is just really really raw. Thats pretty clear at this point.
Yeah, apparently the most I think we can hope for is for him to replace Hankins in a year or two.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This here.

Their not even giving it a full year....they rendered judgement after just 2 preseason games. It's incredible how impatient fans are these day...screw the 3 year rule...it you aren't dominating your 1st preseason game, you are a bust.
Its actually not that at all. Its more of the fact that fans like you cant handle any realistic criticism. You get so bent out of shape that you start exaggerating and saying people are calling him a bust already.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yeah, apparently the most I think we can hope for is for him to replace Hankins in a year or two.
I hope he can be better then that. But if all he can do is hold up a double team then there is no way he was worth a first rounder.

conner01

Reaction score
I hope he can be better than that. But if all he can do is hold up a double team then there is no way he was worth a first rounder.
He has the potential to be better. But fans who expected him to be a stud at this point haven’t watched many NT type players develop. It’s a very hard position physically but also the mental part. Brute strength only gets you so far. He has a lot to learn in technique and most of all recognizing plays. He’s slow off the snap because he’s slow to recognize and that is teachable as well as technique. He wasn’t the pick I wanted but I get what they see in him. A athletic beast who if he learns what he needs to learn could be an impact player and not just a run stuffer. But it’s gonna take time

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He has the potential to be better. But fans who expected him to be a stud at this point haven’t watched many NT type players develop. It’s a very hard position physically but also the mental part. Brute strength only gets you so far. He has a lot to learn in technique and most of all recognizing plays. He’s slow off the snap because he’s slow to recognize and that is teachable as well as technique. He wasn’t the pick I wanted but I get what they see in him. A athletic beast who if he learns what he needs to learn could be an impact player and not just a run stuffer. But it’s gonna take time
Great so you just said exactly what all of us said when we critiqued him. Almost word for word.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I fully admit I thought he would contribute right away. Disappointed to see he wont. To me if you have special talent, it shows up right away no matter position you play. Mazi is just really really raw. Thats pretty clear at this point.
As long as he's drawing double teams, which he does, he's contributing. With some experience and coaching, he'll be able to contribute even more.
JMO.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
As long as he's drawing double teams, which he does, he's contributing. With some experience and coaching, he'll be able to contribute even more.
JMO.
If he is drawing them, holding his ground and making plays, then yah he is contributing. But I meant as a starter most of the timel

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Changing the subject wont help you get out of this one.

You complimented his motor. I asked you a simple question............what motor?

How are those adjustments going? Right now he doesnt look good. I'm sure he will get better if he works hard.

Just dont come on here hailing his motor when he is slowest guy off the line most plays.
Him pursuing plays is his motor, his initial burst off the line has nothing to do with his motor.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
its interesting that he still is as slow off the ball as he was in college.I would have thought our DC would have coached him out of it.
Thinking too hard makes you slow.
Whole new team and system slowing him down. He'll get faster as the thinking turns into reacting. I takes time.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
People need to understand he’s never going to put up big sack numbers…. But guys like him aren’t supposed to.

We need him to stop the run. We need him to anchor the middle when teams are running the read option…. Or running those pre snap motion run plays the rams used to do against us.

If he anchors the middle it allows others to do their jobs. Why do you think Micah was so happy with the pick.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Too many here have offered up premature opinions of Mazi's worth to the Cowboys. Like all rookies, Mazi needs sufficient time to prove himself.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
People need to understand he’s never going to put up big sack numbers…. But guys like him aren’t supposed to.

We need him to stop the run. We need him to anchor the middle when teams are running the read option…. Or running those pre snap motion run plays the rams used to do against us.

If he anchors the middle it allows others to do their jobs. Why do you think Micah was so happy with the pick.
Big guys can get sacks. Now I can say I didnt expect many, but definitely the penetration, collapsing the pocket with a few sacks when the opportunity presented itself. I would expect him to be a big time disruptor in the middle of the line in both the run and the pass.

If all he does is take on double teams and hold his ground he is not worthy of a first round pick.

MIcah was happy because he finally thought he had a guy that could push the pocket from the middle into his arms on the edge for sacks.