Brittney Mills' family considers 2nd paternity test for former LSU football player La'el Collins

Plankton

Reaction score
They never officially clear you as if they did, they likely could not charge you later, you also cannot prove a negative.

The fact his cell phone proved his whereabouts and that he isn't the dad, and they didn't charge him, means he basically is cleared.

Not if it was a Rae Carruth scenario, where it was a murder for hire.

And, once again, I don't believe that this happened. I can only surmise that this is the reason why the deceased's family is wanting to do the test.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Nothing but they would use it to call for him to be fully investigated again etc, just a way to grind him

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Odd. There would have to be something else incriminating Collins like violent threats against the woman or a credible witness. Otherwise, Collins has no reason to oblige given what he's already done.

bingo, I would deny the request stating it has already been done

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Grandma is hungry for cash. This family has cost Collins millions already. He was grandma's ticket to wealth and it was taken from her. I expect a cash hungry civil lawsuit to be filed in the near future no matter what. Here is an idea: Collins submits his DNA to grandma with the stipulation that the baby's DNA is matched against the USA criminal database and the results will be of public record. See what she says then?

black label

Reaction score
And this is why Collins should ignore it. They have an agenda. He was dragged out of the draft festivities on the eve of what was supposed to be one of his life's greatest moments, missed out on 10's of millions of dollars, and on top of that was cleared of everything by the local authorities. Case closed if I am him. He gave DNA and an alibi that proved he wasn't the father and wasn't at the scene of the crime. I would send my condolences again, proclaim my total innocence, express my complete faith in the process that proved I had no role in the murder, and tell them I am moving on from that chapter of my life. The story is now dead and I sure wouldn't participate in anything that revives it and let's anyone look at it again. If this lady doesn't trust the police and the detectives that investigated, then that is her problem, not Collins'.

tumblr_lti76f3mvn1r4ghkoo1_500.gif

conner01

Reaction score
If he had an alibi and is positive he is not the father, then he should do it and lay this to rest once and for all.

Someone already has his DNA results so it wouldn't be difficult at all to do another test
Since the child is dead don't see any financial gain they could get
Since the draft I haven't followed it much but who did the original DNA test show was the father? I would assume who ever the father is would instantly be a person of interest in her murder
Don't see the state changing the results of the original test since he was no longer going to be in school there. What would the motive for changing the results be
Actually read the story
No DNA match so finding the real father could be a real important answer in the investigation
I would also wonder why she had that level of encryption on her phone
I assume they already checked Collins phone

Last edited:

conner01

Reaction score
Grandma is hungry for cash. This family has cost Collins millions already. He was grandma's ticket to wealth and it was taken from her. I expect a cash hungry civil lawsuit to be filed in the near future no matter what. Here is an idea: Collins submits his DNA to grandma with the stipulation that the baby's DNA is matched against the USA criminal database and the results will be of public record. See what she says then?

Unless they could prove he was involved in her death their would be nothing they could sue for
The baby is dead so wrongful death would be the only case
I assume they think he was involved and I understand that
But I would also be logical enough to know that who ever the father is would be just as likely to be the killer
Obviously he also had some relationship with her even if it was only for a few minutes

Proximo

Reaction score
If he took one and it came back that he wasn't the father, I'd in no way cooperate with any other tests, especially ones dictated by the family. It obvious that they have some sort of agenda if they want another test. We have no way to know if she really even told her mother Collins was the father. That could be a mother trying to protect her deceased daughter's reputation. It could also be that the daughter lied to her mother to conceal her lifestyle. If he submitted DNA for the formal investigation and they concluded he was not the father, he should give his condolences and that's it.

I think this pretty much sums it up. This kids already been dragged through enough mud over all this.

At this point there's nothing for him to even be cleared of, as he's not a suspect. I don't even think he's a person of interest anymore, as far as the investigation is concerned.

I'd imagine the family of the victim would instead be trying to find new leads or do something productive in the interest of finding the killer. Continuing to pursue someone (who now happens to be in the NFL) that zero evidence points towards makes it seem like there's an agenda.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Nothing but they would use it to call for him to be fully investigated again etc, just a way to grind him

True. But why? Is there some bad history between Collins and her family? There doesn't seem to be any financial gain here at all if a 2nd test proves Collins is the father. If there was some evidence linking Collins to the murder, I'm sure it would've been known by now.

Or maybe this is just a mourning family with no answers for the death of the young lady and want to leave no rock unturned until they can find out what happened and then have some closure. I'd actually understand somewhat if that's the case here.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
It happens.

I had an opposing party in a case I did 10 years ago leave me a nasty message today saying I am half responsible for the fact one of the children involved in the case I did just killed himself as if I had anything to do with it.

Still, if I am Collins, I do not submit to a further test.

T-RO

Reaction score
Can you say money grab??? Either as hush money or sympathy... SMH

I think it's presumptuous to accuse the woman of that. A paternity test is an extremely reasonable request.

Just as it was wrong to presume Lae'l guilty...so it would be wrong to presume anything about this request. Even were Collins to be the father, that emphatically doesn't mean he killed the woman! But it would only fairly put him in a position to help provide financially for the child.

Edit: I didn't know when I posted this that they child was also killed.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I think it's presumptuous to accuse the woman of that. A paternity test is an extremely reasonable request.

Just as it was wrong to presume Lae'l guilty...so it would be wrong to presume anything about this request. Even were Collins to be the father, that emphatically doesn't mean he killed the woman! But it would only fairly put him in a position to help provide financially for the child.

how is it reasonable to ask for another one when one already said he was not the dad?

dwreck27

Reaction score
You have to start feeling bad for Collins at this point... The system has cleared him and the "victims" family just has rage in their eyes for one man who they "believe" did it...

texbumthelife

Reaction score
That is whole deal it is their child and if a 2nd test can bring about any closure for them then I would do it

But if a first test didn't, why would a second?

Total money grab. Nothing else about it.

I can see the just closure aspect that PJ states, so that the family can rule out that she was killed because she was pregnant.

How on earth does this rule that out? Whether he was or wasn't the father, neither answers or resolves that question.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Nor do I. Losing a child has to be the worst possible thing anyone could ever go through. They have no answers. I don't blame them for trying to figure out anything and everything they possible can.

Agree. Its all a sad situation, we should all hug our kids and be grateful for all we have.

Proximo

Reaction score
Or maybe this is just a mourning family with no answers for the death of the young lady and want to leave no rock unturned until they can find out what happened and then have some closure.

Yes, I agree, leave no rock unturned. But turning the same rock over again and again does no good. The kid already took a test and the result was no, he's not the father. There doesn't seem to be any actual evidence to suggest otherwise. The family simply WANTS him to take another test, and, I think the kid should say no thank you.

rockj7

Reaction score
I can say it is a mother who believes what her murdered daughter told her and have no issue with her family getting a second paternity test.

isn't finding your daughters killer more important then finding out who her daughters babies daddy is? HAIL Mary hoping for a payday