Broaddus hearing “whispers” about Mayer

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Glad I at the very least brought awareness to Mayer and his lack of athleticism.

I don’t get with how elite TE prospects bust and all the bad value we know Mayer is how teams would still turn in a 1st round card for him.

I think he’s a heck of a TE but awful awful value in round 1.

Like you’re just hoping he’s something that resembles Hockenson.

Last edited:

phildadon86

Reaction score
And if he doesn’t, can’t wait for the Washington fans to admit they fell too much in love with “measurables”.
Ill gladly admit I was wrong if he fails.

I dont see it happening.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Glad I at the very least brought awareness to Mayer and his lack of athleticism.

I don’t get with how elite TE prospects bust and all the bad value we know Mayer is how teams would still turn in a 1st round card for him.

I think he’s a heck of a TE but awful awful value in round 1.

Like you’re just hoping he’s something that resembles Hockenson.
Hock was an elite athlete…9.18 RAS.

Mayer isn’t in that category. Hayden Hurst is the closest athletic comp I’ve seen.

Carson

Reaction score
McCarthy likes his TEs, able to block, hit the seam, 6’4+, 250+ with an 8+ RAS score. Mayer hits literally all of the boxes

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Hock was an elite athlete…9.18 RAS.

Mayer isn’t in that category. Hayden Hurst is the closest athletic comp I’ve seen.
Didn’t Mayer have like the worst 10 yard split or something too?

I just don’t get it with him and why teams would consider him before round 2.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Didn’t Mayer have like the worst 10 yard split or something too?

I just don’t get it with him and why teams would consider him before round 2.
Out of all the players in the last decade or so that have posted 1K yard seasons Mayer has the worst or was tied for the worst in both 40 time and 10 yard split.

Carson

Reaction score
Just watching these two play football.. Andrews looks nothing like him.
Bingo. That is why I don’t get caught up in the stuff underwear Olympics and who runs fast without pads. Andrews did not test great but is an elite TE.

Who lights it up on Sunday’s? That’s what’s I want

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Yes, they likely will be doing all of that and also ignoring the data that clearly shows the best TEs in football are above average athletes and he is not.
So again data you just read somewhere and nothing based off film or scouting? This data you speak of is nothing more than his combine #s. You're taking everything he's done on an actual football field, ignoring it, and basing your opinion on his 40 time. The Cowboys aren't ignoring data, you're ignoring production.

cnuball21

Reaction score
So again data you just read somewhere and nothing based off film or scouting? This data you speak of is nothing more than his combine #s. You're taking everything he's done on an actual football field, ignoring it, and basing your opinion on his 40 time. The Cowboys aren't ignoring data, you're ignoring production.
Nope. I use everything at my disposal. Tape + athletic ability.

When athletic data correlates directly to NFL success how could you not use it as part of the eval?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I’m ignoring production as well.

What he did in college production wise means Jack squat.

The draft, especially the first round, is about projecting a players future and how much upside they have.

Mayers upside looks so limited to me along with a long list of first round busts.

He looks like the typical 700ish yards a season guy. Why spend a first on that?

2nd round I’d be all for it. 1st? We can do better.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
The tight end doesn't open up the offense at all a WR who can separate down field does. They drop the ball if they go TE in round 1.

The Cowboys want a tight end to open up the field for their offense. They know Dak’s best throws are the intermediate tight end routes. Jesse Holley calls them Flexy Sexy…..
They have 2 young tight ends on the roster that I'm not ready to count out just yet
Really? So many board GMs. You are untitled to your opinion but don’t act like you know who is going to be a bust or not. Tyler was the best offensive lineman in the draft last season and most of the board thought the Cowboys were idiots to draft him. It’s lying season I am not sure who the Cowboys will pick at 26 and if it is a tight end they pick so be it.

You don’t understand football if you don’t understand how a good tight end would open things up for CeeDee/Cooks.
They have two young tight ends on the roster that may have a bright future here.

Sydla

Reaction score
I’m ignoring production as well.

What he did in college production wise means Jack squat.

The draft, especially the first round, is about projecting a players future and how much upside they have.

Mayers upside looks so limited to me along with a long list of first round busts.

He looks like the typical 700ish yards a season guy. Why spend a first on that?

2nd round I’d be all for it. 1st? We can do better.
FWIW, 700ish yards would likely be Top 7-10 in receiving yards for Tight Ends.

Not saying we should go get a TE in Rd 1 but if you get a guy that spits out consistent 700+ yard seasons at TE, that's likely a Top 10 TE.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Heh I just heard a whisper that some people just hate a player and nothing else matters.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
FWIW, 700ish yards would likely be Top 7-10 in receiving yards for Tight Ends.

Not saying we should go get a TE in Rd 1 but if you get a guy that spits out consistent 700+ yard seasons at TE, that's likely a Top 10 TE.
And we just let a guy walk who was more than capable of doing that and we didn’t need to use a first round pick on him.

Dalton Schultz was a top 10 TE.

Proof

Reaction score
Remember they are trying to replace 124 catches from last season.
Not necessarily. They want to run more so pass attempts may be down, they already went and grabbed cooks, and (as is) the dynamic duo can pick up majority of Schulz targets.

Carson

Reaction score
Not necessarily. They want to run more so pass attempts may be down, they already went and grabbed cooks, and (as is) the dynamic duo can pick up majority of Schulz targets.
I would toss in Ferguson and Hendershot with an increased role as well