Broaddus hearing “whispers” about Mayer

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
your obsession with Mayer is unhealthy. Just how many posts have you done knocking him down? 100? more?
All for nothing since NOTHING you say makes any difference at all to what the boys will do
The thread title involves Mayer if you haven’t noticed.

Your defense of him is unhealthy.

morasp

Reaction score
Mayer's upside comps are Witten and Gronk. I'll take that at 26 just like I would take one of the top two RBs. Just like the added dimension the RBs receiving gives you Mayers gives you in line blocking which is distinguished from move blocking. Not only is he good at it, he enjoys it. He essentially becomes an extension of the OL but the defense doesn't know if he'll be blocking or running a route. We can have the same personnel group for both and they have to play it more straight up.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Mayer's upside comps are Witten and Gronk. I'll take that at 26 just like I would take one of the top two RBs. Just like the added dimension the RBs receiving gives you Mayers gives you in line blocking which is distinguished from move blocking. He essentially becomes an extension of the OL but the defense doesn't know if he'll be blocking or running a route. We can have the same personnel group for both and they have to play it more straight up.
The problem is those comps are awful…

If we had a chance at one of those types of players at 26 I’d be in too but Mayer is not on their level of athleticism.

It’s also important to note neither we’re drafted in the 1st.

GuitarBytes

Reaction score
it is more likely that an OT or a DL will be available at pick 26, even if it is possible to go down a bit to have more picks and have the same chance, I hope Mayer is not available, I think they are pushing too hard the fact that Dallas has to select a TE in the first round, replacing a 4th round TE with a 1st round TE is stupid, I don't see much difference between Mayer and Ferguson.
Better options, Bryan Bresee, Mazi Smith, Steve Avila, O'cyrus torrence, Cam Smith, Anton Harrison, Jahmyr Gibbs, Emmanuen Forbe.
it is more likely that these players will be available at pick 26, even going down to get more picks, and even as it has happened, players like Bijan Robinson, Lukas Van Ness, or Darnell Wright may fall, anything can happen, but holding on to Michael Mayer is absurd

morasp

Reaction score

If we had a chance at one of those types of players at 26 I’d be in too but Mayer is not on their level of athleticism.

I remember you're good at researching that. How do they actually compare? Also do you still like Hyatt at WR since we talked about him last? He still looks like a good deep threat to me.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
They have 2 young tight ends on the roster that I'm not ready to count out just yet

They have two young tight ends on the roster that may have a bright future here.
The Cowboys like Ferguson/Herdershot but they probably want a top talent at tight end. Not a fourth rounder and UDFA.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I remember you're good at researching that. How do they actually compare? Also do you still like Hyatt at WR since we talked about him last? He still looks like a good deep threat to me.
Bigger, longer, stronger and faster.

I like Hyatt just would depend who else is on the board.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope Broaddus is wrong and TE isn't high on the list at all.
Broaddus says he’s hearing whispers from the Cowboys that they are hopeful Mayer is off the board before they pick and that it would possibly drive Kincaid to our pick.

7:25 area of the vid

We need a list of everything Broaddus has said about this draft. Then we can compare to what actually happens.

He has been correct about 10% of the time over the years...

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Just listened to Broaddus on the Star Podcast he basically said the Cowboys like both Mayer and Kincaid. Drama…..

Kingofholland

Reaction score
We need a list of everything Broaddus has said about this draft. Then we can compare to what actually happens.

He has been correct about 10% of the time over the years...
I wonder if he just talks to 1 scout about a player that specific scout likes and calls it a day. Scouts fall in love with players and try to push them. Dalton Kincaid's scouting profile sounds similar to another Dalton on the roster last year.

CherBoyWade

Reaction score

Witten:
Height- 6'5.6"
Weight- 264
Arm- 32.5
Bench- 25
40 time- 4.65
10 split- 1.65
Vert- 31.0
Broad- 9'02

Mayer:
Height- 6'4.5"
Weight- 249
Arm- 31.625
Bench- 21
40 time- 4.7
10 split- 1.66
Vert- 32.5
Broad- 9'10

Considering even those skeptical of Mayer in the first seem to admit he's about as polished as you get on the field, is it really that insane to make a Witten comp? Witten was the better athlete, but not by leaps and bounds. Witten made 4 All-Pros and 11 Pro Bowls. I think even the most optimistic of Mayer fans aren't expecting that. But an All-Pro or two and 5-6 Pro Bowls, is that really a ridiculous outcome? I don't think so.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Witten:
Height- 6'5.6"
Weight- 264
Arm- 32.5
Bench- 25
40 time- 4.65
10 split- 1.65
Vert- 31.0
Broad- 9'02

Mayer:
Height- 6'4.5"
Weight- 249
Arm- 31.625
Bench- 21
40 time- 4.7
10 split- 1.66
Vert- 32.5
Broad- 9'10

Considering even those skeptical of Mayer in the first seem to admit he's about as polished as you get on the field, is it really that insane to make a Witten comp? Witten was the better athlete, but not by leaps and bounds

The 15 pounds difference between them is huge. If football is a combat sport, that puts Witt up in a different weight class.

CherBoyWade

Reaction score
The 15 pounds difference between them is huge. If football is a combat sport, that puts Witt up in a different weight class.
265 was his playing weight at ND last year, He's 265 on the tape. Again, I agree that Witt was the better athlete coming out—I just don't think it's by as substantial a margin as some are suggesting

cnuball21

Reaction score
Witten:
Height- 6'5.6"
Weight- 264
Arm- 32.5
Bench- 25
40 time- 4.65
10 split- 1.65
Vert- 31.0
Broad- 9'02

Mayer:
Height- 6'4.5"
Weight- 249
Arm- 31.625
Bench- 21
40 time- 4.7
10 split- 1.66
Vert- 32.5
Broad- 9'10

Considering even those skeptical of Mayer in the first seem to admit he's about as polished as you get on the field, is it really that insane to make a Witten comp? Witten was the better athlete, but not by leaps and bounds. Witten made 4 All-Pros and 11 Pro Bowls. I think even the most optimistic of Mayer fans aren't expecting that. But an All-Pro or two and 5-6 Pro Bowls, is that really a ridiculous outcome? I don't think so.
When you factor in the size / length it makes quite a bit off difference. Witten’s RAS is like 2 full points higher.

Yes - him hitting that outcome would be as an outlier for me…not the norm. Again I don’t want to draft an outlier athlete in the 1st round hoping he hits his potential against athletic limitations.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
265 was his playing weight at ND last year, He's 265 on the tape
Then what's his playing speed? I totally find it believable that Mayer would drop some weight to improve his 40 time at the Combine, that was his literal million-dollar question. But if he cuts down to run a 4.70, what's he going to run on game day? Is it enough to get a step on NFL linebackers?

cnuball21

Reaction score
Then what's his playing speed? I totally find it believable that Mayer would drop some weight to improve his 40 time at the Combine, that was his literal million-dollar question. But if he cuts down to run a 4.70, what's he going to run on game day? Is it enough to get a step on NFL linebackers?
This…

CherBoyWade

Reaction score
When you factor in the size / length it makes quite a bit off difference. Witten’s RAS is like 2 full points higher.

Yes - him hitting that outcome would be as an outlier for me…not the norm. Again I don’t want to draft an outlier athlete in the 1st round hoping he hits his potential against athletic limitations.
His RAS only takes into account TEs that were taken up into his draft in 2003 (starting in 1987). Considering the focus since then to add more speed at the position, I'd say Witten's RAS score is likely quite inflated

Also not suggesting that would be "the norm" meant more as if things go well. Obviously his floor is much lower than multiple All-Pro teams. Every NFL player's is regardless of draft position or hype

Last edited:

CherBoyWade

Reaction score
That's fair. Obviously that was the reason he cut the weight. I really don't know much about speed training so tbh I have no idea what his 40 would've been if he just maintained his playing weight, but presumably worse.