Broaddus hearing “whispers” about Mayer

morasp

Reaction score
It's about adding weapons to the offense and five of the top pass catchers are TEs and all five of them are ranked higher than the top TE last year.

Sydla

Reaction score
And we just let a guy walk who was more than capable of doing that and we didn’t need to use a first round pick on him.

Dalton Schultz was a top 10 TE.
Because we didn't want to pay him.

Again, I am not advocating using a first round pick on a TE. I've said I wouldn't. But if you get a guy at 26 that consistently puts up 700+ yards a year, what you drafted is a consistent Top 10 TE. That might be worth a late round first pick to some.

Carson

Reaction score

Again, I am not advocating using a first round pick on a TE. I've said I wouldn't. But if you get a guy at 26 that consistently puts up 700+ yards a year, what you drafted is a consistent Top 10 TE. That might be worth a late round first pick to some.
I’m with you. Picking 26th is much different than 12th or so

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I don’t think it is.

I think if you’re drafting a first round guy they better be special.

Michael Mayer looks to be a little better than league average guy. Waste of a first rounder.

2nd round I’d be all for it.

But it’s more likely he is Coke Kmet than he is George Kittle.

cnuball21

Reaction score

The problem is I don’t this his athletic traits will allow him to consistently average 700+ yards.

I think he’ll 100% sprinkle in a few of those seasons but the guys that are averaging that are premium athletes.

Your basically be drafting an outlier…which in the 1st at a low value position seems WILD to me.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The problem is I don’t this his athletic traits will allow him to consistently average 700+ yards.

I think he’ll 100% sprinkle in a few of those seasons but the guys that are averaging that are premium athletes.

Your basically be drafting an outlier…which in the 1st at a low value position seems WILD to me.
Dude I don’t get it.

Everything about him screams 2nd round talent.

It’s wild to me too.

And the thing is I think he will be a good player just awful awful round 1 value.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Dude I don’t get it.

Everything about him screams 2nd round talent.

It’s wild to me too.

And the thing is I think he will be a good player just awful awful round 1 value.
I like Mayer a lot. I think he’ll be a solid and steady pro with a low bust factor.

But in the 1st I believe you should have 1st round tape, 1st round athleticism and ideally be a premium position.

He checks 1 of those boxes. I’d kick the position to the curb if he was an elite athlete and thought he could develop into an all pro caliber guy but he’s not.

Good 2nd round target bad 1st round target.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don’t think it is.

Michael Mayer looks to be a little better than league average guy. Waste of a first rounder.

I think part of it is this not being a very good class overall.

I’m no scout or even close but I’ve been doing for decades what fans who are into the draft typically do….and I see a less great talent than usual.

You’re getting a second round talent most years at 26, but this year it’s even worse.

Witten himself was a third rounder in a draft that was somewhere between meh and good.

However, what they truly need are some playmakers on offense and there’s a few out there. If they play it right they can still improve greatly.

Still hoping one of the tackles falls. Helps immediately and insures against losing players next off-season. If they don’t stay ahead of keeping the OL whole, they are going to end up throwing away a season rebuilding it, and/or overpaying to keep guys like Biadasz or Steele.

If not, I’ll stay in the minority and be too intrigued by Washington’s upside to pass, but that’s probably as moot as it can get.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don’t think it is.

But you said he looks like a guy who can give you 700 yards. If he does that consistently, he's a top 10 TE.

Now if you only want a TE in the first round that is gonna give you 1200 yards a year, well then, this isn't likely the draft for that guy at 26.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
But you said he looks like a guy who can give you 700 yards. If he does that consistently, he's a top 10 TE.

Now if you only want a TE in the first round that is gonna give you 1200 yards a year, well then, this isn't likely the draft for that guy at 26.
I don’t want any TE in round 1 unless they have Kyle Pitts talent.

Too many of these guys turn into Zach Rudolph or Coke Kmet and that’s if you’re lucky.

No thanks. It’s just stupid to draft a player like this with limited upside until round 2.

gtb1943

Reaction score
And we just let a guy walk who was more than capable of doing that and we didn’t need to use a first round pick on him.

Dalton Schultz was a top 10 TE.
Wow and all he got was a one year contract for $9 million
OF all the ridiculous posts you have made on this subject, that was the worst.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
What did I say that was wrong? Lol..

You just proved my point about this type of TEs value.

gtb1943

Reaction score
What did I say that was wrong? Lol..

You just proved my point about this type of TEs value. Dime a dozen potential production.
Well any respect I ever had for your football knowledge has gone.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Well any respect I ever had for your football knowledge has gone.
Ok that’s cool but what did I say that was wrong.

I said Mayers production will be something close to Schultz and it finally hit you that his type of talent is worth about a 1 year 9 million dollar deal lol.

cnuball21

Reaction score
The contract is one of the main reasons you dont take a TE in the 1st unless he’s special. You can get a competent and serviceable one like Schultz for 6 mil a year.

The cost of that level WR / DE / CB etc is almost 3 times that amount.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don’t want any TE in round 1 unless they have Kyle Pitts talent.

Too many of these guys turn into Zach Rudolph or Coke Kmet and that’s if you’re lucky.

No thanks. It’s just stupid to draft a player like this with limited upside until round 2.
On that point, we agree. I am not a fan of using the 26th pick on any of these TEs.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
On that point, we agree. I am not a fan of using the 26th pick on any of these TEs.
Yeah I’ve tried to make it very clear I think Mayer is good but I know comprehension on this board isn’t the best.

I’m just making a case that’s he’s beyond awful value and super risky with a 1st round pick.

Like not only does he need to be good he needs to be above average to validate this pick or it’s just a waste to draft a dime a dozen guy.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Yeah I’ve tried to make it very clear I think Mayer is good but I know comprehension on this board isn’t the best.

I’m just making a case that’s he’s beyond awful value and super risky with a 1st round pick.

Like not only does he need to be good he needs to be above average to validate this pick or it’s just a waste to draft a dime a dozen guy.
your obsession with Mayer is unhealthy. Just how many posts have you done knocking him down? 100? more?
All for nothing since NOTHING you say makes any difference at all to what the boys will do

Jarntt

Reaction score
Well, we all know the Cowboys more than any other team tip their cap so it looks like TE...