Broaddus hearing “whispers” about Mayer

gtb1943

Reaction score
265 was his playing weight at ND last year, He's 265 on the tape. Again, I agree that Witt was the better athlete coming out—I just don't think it's by as substantial a margin as some are suggesting
if you notice basically its two or three posters who for all their disclaimers clearly dislike Mayer.

If he can make half as many ALL Pros and Probowls as Witten he would be a roaring success. If you notice his critics, all they want is a really big WR at TE and clearly do not get the difference in positions

gtb1943

Reaction score
The thread title involves Mayer if you haven’t noticed.

Your defense of him is unhealthy.
Your lack of ability live in the real world is awe inspiring.
You probably are getting close to 150 posts on Mayer and I am the one who is unhealthy?

cnuball21

Reaction score
His RAS only takes into account TEs that were taken up into his draft in 2003 (starting in 1987). Considering the focus since then to add more speed at the position, I'd say Witten's RAS score is likely quite inflated

Also not suggesting that would be "the norm" meant more as if things go well. Obviously his floor is much lower than multiple All-Pro teams. Every NFL player's is regardless of draft position or hype
And he also played in somewhat of a different era…

Another factor making it a bad comp.

CherBoyWade

Reaction score
And he also played in somewhat of a different era…

Another factor making it a bad comp.
I guess? Are you suggesting we should never compare prospects to retired guys? That'd be a tough job for these draft writers lmao

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Witt gets remembered as a limited athlete and like a grindy hitch-route catcher, and I've got to think it's because he played a lot of old-man seasons where he'd lost a step or four. But at his prime, he was a lot more impressive of a mover. 2000s peak Witten was a beast.

Everyone remembers the no-helmet play. It's like peak grindy football-guy stuff. What gets overlooked is that he was 25 yards downfield on that catch and hitting a seam in between two DBs.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten:
Height- 6'5.6"
Weight- 264
Arm- 32.5
Bench- 25
40 time- 4.65
10 split- 1.65
Vert- 31.0
Broad- 9'02

Mayer:
Height- 6'4.5"
Weight- 249
Arm- 31.625
Bench- 21
40 time- 4.7
10 split- 1.66
Vert- 32.5
Broad- 9'10

Considering even those skeptical of Mayer in the first seem to admit he's about as polished as you get on the field, is it really that insane to make a Witten comp? Witten was the better athlete, but not by leaps and bounds. Witten made 4 All-Pros and 11 Pro Bowls. I think even the most optimistic of Mayer fans aren't expecting that. But an All-Pro or two and 5-6 Pro Bowls, is that really a ridiculous outcome? I don't think so.
:hammer:

morasp

Reaction score
Witten:
Height- 6'5.6"
Weight- 264
Arm- 32.5
Bench- 25
40 time- 4.65
10 split- 1.65
Vert- 31.0
Broad- 9'02

Mayer:
Height- 6'4.5"
Weight- 249
Arm- 31.625
Bench- 21
40 time- 4.7
10 split- 1.66
Vert- 32.5
Broad- 9'10

Considering even those skeptical of Mayer in the first seem to admit he's about as polished as you get on the field, is it really that insane to make a Witten comp? Witten was the better athlete, but not by leaps and bounds. Witten made 4 All-Pros and 11 Pro Bowls. I think even the most optimistic of Mayer fans aren't expecting that. But an All-Pro or two and 5-6 Pro Bowls, is that really a ridiculous outcome? I don't think so.
Do you know if Witten's 40 was official or like a pro day?

vlad

Reaction score
If that were true, think about how silly it is for a professional organization to hope a player is gone so the don't feel the pressure to select him? How about just don't select him? I mean you freaking selected Taco Charlton in the first cuz he fit your system, or you took Zeke at 4 which Jerry finally admitted was a mistake... These guys.

CherBoyWade

Reaction score
If that were true, think about how silly it is for a professional organization to hope a player is gone so the don't feel the pressure to select him? How about just don't select him? I mean you freaking selected Taco Charlton in the first cuz he fit your system, or you took Zeke at 4 which Jerry finally admitted was a mistake... These guys.
If we're being honest with ourselves, the Dallas Cowboys are the LAST team we should be questioning about their 1st round picking process. Yes Taco was a miss, but every team misses. Taking Zeke 4th was a mistake, but the real mistake was the 2nd contract. Those are their only 2 misses of the last decade, and Zeke still had a damn great first 4 years here and Taco was pick 28 and clearly the pick was influenced by a DC who was pretty promptly fired in Marinelli

cowboyec

Reaction score
if we go te at 26,i hope its michael mayer.
complete package.
kincaid is a weapon for sure...but he gets knocked for his blocking.
if its te...give me the mayer of south bend.
♧☆♡.

morasp

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been mentioned but measurables are useful to support what you see on tape and Mayer was very productive at ND without the best QB play.

138 rec for 1649 yards and 16 TDs in his last two seasons.

It's very likely that he won't be an option when we pick at 26.

JBS

Reaction score
I don’t think you get the point

More guys that get drafted that you don’t want, increases the chances that guys you do want are available

vlad

Reaction score
I don’t think you get the point

More guys that get drafted that you don’t want, increases the chances that guys you do want are available
Perhaps i did. Thx man

Spottswoode

Reaction score
So much energy spent on something we have absolutely no control over.

This is why I will bolt after the draft. Arm chair analysts have nothing on arm chair coaches & GM’s once the season starts.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
So much energy spent on something we have absolutely no control over.

This is why I will bolt after the draft. Arm chair analysts have nothing on arm chair coaches & GM’s once the season starts.

The best way I've heard it put is that this forum is basically a football book club. We talk about it to enrich our understanding of the "material" as the season goes along. There's nothing to really get worked up about... we're all just along for the ride here.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
The best way I've heard it put is that this forum is basically a football book club. We talk about it to enrich our understanding of the "material" as the season goes along. There's nothing to really get worked up about... we're all just along for the ride here.
That’s why you are here but I don’t see how anyone can read these threads and not see how personal this seems to be for some. It actually makes me feel young at times because it feels like I’m back in high school grade school.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Musgrave has to be in play if the Cowboys really want a tight end at 26. He potentially is Kincaid, Mayer and Washington combined.