Broaddus: Keep an eye on Mike Zimmer

exciter

Reaction score
Lol! It wasn’t all that long ago there were multiple posters on this very forum lamenting how much better the team would be if Zimmer was the head coach over Garrett. Now he’s not qualified to to run the corn dog stand much less the defense apparently!

MS17

Reaction score
This is the type of crap that kills my hope for this teams future.....Why in the hell would you even want him? Get someone fresh and new and not one of Jerry's friends damn...
Agree. No more Jerry cronies. The LAST thing this organization needs.

Zman5

Reaction score
Why not this guy? He could be an option.

giphy.gif

Then we can say "Belichick can't win without Brady" every time we lose a game.

quickccc

Reaction score
Hell no

Same D playafter play

Parsons will NOT be utilized correctly or imaginatively

NO TO ZIMMER

That would be my thought about Zimmer too.
Would Zimmer have Parsons as just a conventional 4-3 OLB in his 4-3 scheme ?

- Some here want to see a 3-4 DC here because they envision Parsons as a TJ Watt type in such a 3-4 scheme.

- imo, this is the perfect scheme for Parsons, because it moves around and utilizes Parsons as a pass rusher from every angle at the line - especially when it's straight up the middle
where he gets skinny and slims gaps between OG and C, or he is immediately taking on weak blitz-blocking RBs

Major Kudos to Quinn,..

The Jones of course are highly familiar with Zimmer from his ex-Cowboys years.
They know his demeanor and competitive energy - but is he a Rod Mairinelli type dinosaur that stuck in his own ways and hasn't expanded or evolved to
nowadays trends.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Fyi. In 2003, Dallas was 2nd in ppg at 16.2, 3rd in defensive rushing yards and 1st in passing yards.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
How many teams have ever brought back a coordinator they fired? Not sure Zimmer would want to come back. Fans were calling for his head when he was here.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Jones of course are highly familiar with Zimmer from his ex-Cowboys years.
They know his demeanor and competitive energy - but is he a Rod Mairinelli type dinosaur that stuck in his own ways and hasn't expanded or evolved to
nowadays trends.
Zimmer isnt my first choice, but I dont understand why people think this. Have you actually followed him, or are just going off of his time in Dallas. Zimmer has ran multiple front schemes many different years

Id probably rather have Whitt, but there is a weird narrative going around that Zimmer has always run vanilla defenses like he did under Parcells. Its false

quickccc

Reaction score
The media has everyone thinking Quinn will be leaving when he's not. The man's awful as a HC & proved so. Why on earth would he be leaving after MM just hired him at a position he clearly excels in. He's repeatedly stated he wasn't leaving. MM & Quinn go back. This is why Dallas had 12 wins. It certainly wasn't because of Moore!

how do you be so awful of a HC that you make it to the SB ..??
i cannot imagine that he is so awful of a HC candidate that he is getting these HC offers again ?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zimmer brings one thing that would be an advantage, actually two, maybe three?

One, he has been HC of a team with a mid level QB and dependent on the run game and defense and that supports the team concept. That is this team.

Two, he is a no nonsense coach, which is why Parcells wanted to keep him. He is not as concerned with being liked as he is respected and his directions taken. This team has a players' owner, they do not need players' coaches. He did have a problem getting along with his OC's in MIN and that can be read two different ways. he is old school, doesn't like the pass game as the lead. Then again, he's never coached a team with an elite QB running an elite passing offense.

Three, he knows the terrain and just who the Joneses are.

That said, I don't know if he's what this team needs. But he is well respected around the league, except for his tendency for assistant coaches turnover.

quickccc

Reaction score
Zimmer isnt my first choice, but I dont understand why people think this. Have you actually followed him, or are just going off of his time in Dallas. Zimmer has ran multiple front schemes many different years

And yet the downfall of his fronts and coverages scheme amounted to the worst of Zimmer's losing years that eventually got him canned.

The irony is they were a better defensive team when George Edwards was on Zimmer's staff as DC, then what happen when Zimmer promoted his son Adam to share the DC role with
DL coach Andre Patterson (another ex-Cowboys coach)

Like several teams they ran 4-3 and nickel 5-2 ,..but i did not see a various of 3 man fronts and hybrids as MM has said to prefer.