Broaddus: Keep an eye on Mike Zimmer

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Oh yay. Another old, re-tread coach who is still calling the same defenses he did in the 90s and can't keep up with today's game.

This front office will never learn that the game has passed by those old coaches. It's a young man's game now. Go look at the coaches remaining in the playoffs. Aside from Arians, it's all young coaches. Young offensive coaches who can keep up with today's game.

The 2 coaches left who are not young are Reid and Arians, both of which have 2 of the best QBs in the game.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And yet the downfall of his fronts and coverages scheme amounted to the worst of Zimmer's losing years that eventually got him canned.

The irony is they were a better defensive team when George Edwards was on Zimmer's staff as DC, then what happen when Zimmer promoted his son Adam to share the DC role with
DL coach Andre Patterson (another ex-Cowboys coach)

Like several teams they ran 4-3 and nickel 5-2 ,..but i did not see a various of 3 man fronts and hybrids as MM has said to prefer.
His downfall as a HC was promoting his son. Thats not really relevant here though, as he isnt going to be a HC. As DC and defensive play caller, he has a ran a hybrid scheme. No reason to think he wouldn't here if he was hired as a DC

quickccc

Reaction score
Zimmer brings one thing that would be an advantage, actually two, maybe three?

One, he has been HC of a team with a mid level QB and dependent on the run game and defense and that supports the team concept. That is this team.

Two, he is a no nonsense coach, which is why Parcells wanted to keep him. He is not as concerned with being liked as he is respected and his directions taken. This team has a players' owner, they do not need players' coaches. He did have a problem getting along with his OC's in MIN and that can be read two different ways. he is old school, doesn't like the pass game as the lead. Then again, he's never coached a team with an elite QB running an elite passing offense.

Three, he knows the terrain and just who the Joneses are.

That said, I don't know if he's what this team needs. But he is well respected around the league, except for his tendency for assistant coaches turnover.

I'd only interested in his DC ability, and what he can bring in terms of adapting, adding and evolving his philosophy, scheme and looks.
Per his track record Zimm was successful as a DC in Cincy before he moved on as Vikes HC. so there is a successful experience resume.

HungryLion

Reaction score
That would be my thought about Zimmer too.
Would Zimmer have Parsons as just a conventional 4-3 OLB in his 4-3 scheme ?

- Some here want to see a 3-4 DC here because they envision Parsons as a TJ Watt type in such a 3-4 scheme.

- imo, this is the perfect scheme for Parsons, because it moves around and utilizes Parsons as a pass rusher from every angle at the line - especially when it's straight up the middle
where he gets skinny and slims gaps between OG and C, or he is immediately taking on weak blitz-blocking RBs

Major Kudos to Quinn,..

The Jones of course are highly familiar with Zimmer from his ex-Cowboys years.
They know his demeanor and competitive energy - but is he a Rod Mairinelli type dinosaur that stuck in his own ways and hasn't expanded or evolved to
nowadays trends.

Zimmer loves the A gap blitz when he has someone who is good at it…… I could see him blitzing Micah right up the guy multiple times per game. Easily.

Blackspider214

Reaction score

One, he has been HC of a team with a mid level QB and dependent on the run game and defense and that supports the team concept. That is this team.

Two, he is a no nonsense coach, which is why Parcells wanted to keep him. He is not as concerned with being liked as he is respected and his directions taken. This team has a players' owner, they do not need players' coaches. He did have a problem getting along with his OC's in MIN and that can be read two different ways. he is old school, doesn't like the pass game as the lead. Then again, he's never coached a team with an elite QB running an elite passing offense.

That said, I don't know if he's what this team needs. But he is well respected around the league, except for his tendency for assistant coaches turnover.

No nonsense guy does zero for you. The players will get burnt out fast. They got burnt out with Parcells. This isn't boot camp. These players will tune you out after awhile with that hard a.. act.

Zimmer has had no real success as a HC. His lone NFC title game came on a once in a lifetime type play and then gets destroyed the next round because they didn't really belong.

He's also the head coach who loses at home to Cooper Rush.

No thanks. An old re-tread coach.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

He isnt at the top of my list, but Id have him in the top 5 after Bradley (once they sort out their coaching staff), Fangio, and Whitt

Whitt isnt the sexy name, but he did an excellent job with the pass defense. I think it would be a mistake to give the job to Zimmer over him

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No nonsense guy does zero for you. The players will get burnt out fast. They got burnt out with Parcells. This isn't boot camp. These players will tune you out after awhile with that hard a.. act.

Zimmer has had no real success as a HC. His lone NFC title game came on a once in a lifetime type play and then gets destroyed the next round because they didn't really belong.

He's also the head coach who loses at home to Cooper Rush.

No thanks. An old re-tread coach.
Wasnt the guy we want to keep an "old re-tread coach"

visionary

Reaction score
Strong No to Zimmer but Jerry will hire him and make him HC next year

rinse and repeat

UncleRico

Reaction score
We should have plenty of guys lined up wanting this job with all the talent we have on that side of the ball and a generational talent as it’s centerpiece.

quickccc

Reaction score
Oh yay. Another old, re-tread coach who is still calling the same defenses he did in the 90s and can't keep up with today's game.

This front office will never learn that the game has passed by those old coaches. It's a young man's game now. Go look at the coaches remaining in the playoffs. Aside from Arians, it's all young coaches. Young offensive coaches who can keep up with today's game.

The 2 coaches left who are not young are Reid and Arians, both of which have 2 of the best QBs in the game.

Yeh but you're referring to offensive side and head coaching,.. the interest in Zimm would be for the role of DC and that side only.

The same question many were asking about Dan Quinn in ATL, and his defense, - Much is gonna be asked and questioned with Zimm and his defense in Vikes land.

Quinn is one of those re-tread coaches , but he also showed that he's evolved and expanded beyond Legion of Boom days.
He showed that he could be " Hybrid " 4-man. 3 man, up and down fronts (a trait something McCarthy has said he prefers )
Can Zimmer also show those similar qualities ?

rambo2

Reaction score
The media has everyone thinking Quinn will be leaving when he's not. The man's awful as a HC & proved so. Why on earth would he be leaving after MM just hired him at a position he clearly excels in. He's repeatedly stated he wasn't leaving. MM & Quinn go back. This is why Dallas had 12 wins. It certainly wasn't because of Moore!
He is the hottest head coach candidate on the market today. He is gone, unless they pull a fast one and make him head coach in Dallas.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I like zimmer the mind and his defensive prowess. I worry about him connecting with this group. Quinn built a relationship with these guys and had them buying in- it wasn’t just because of his football knowledge. It was because of their relationship. I worry zimmer wouldn’t be able find that connection with this group.

On paper makes total sense but idk I’m skeptical. I like the vibe Quinn gave off and wonder if another younger mind would be better than a 65 yr old zimm.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
zimmer relies on blitzes and strong DEs to generate pass rush. when he doesn't have that, his defenses struggle.

plus we have edwards, who worked for him and was let go to put Zimmer's son in his place. that's not going to be a good dynamic, which would mean we probably would lose edwards too

If they struggle then he'll be hired ASAP

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Only in Jerry World….lol. Quinn retooled his approach to keep updated. Zimmer ? he could barely keep his eyes open on the Vikings sideline. He’s burnt and we’ve seen his movie before. Cowboys have the best facilities in the NFL, a talented team, and are hellbent on having mediocre or bad coaching staffs. That’s because the number one qualification to coach in Dallas is making Jerry comfortable by letting him be the shadow HC and being yes men. If you happen to have talent, that’s incidental.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Been saying this......he checks all the boxes for both MM AND Stephen and Jerry.

As a HC he has had his struggles, but always was a good DC. Yes, more of a 4-3 vanilla base, but he likes size up the middle and has used a player like Parsons before with Barr. I rather keep a more modern scheme in place, but Zimmer would be a quality hire. Remember he and Edwards have worked together in the past.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Why not this guy? He could be an option.

giphy.gif
I love watching this guy but man where in the hell did they get him from and was it by some type of radiation?