Video: Broaddus on Relationship Between Dan Quinn/Will McClay/Kellen Moore

817Gill

Reaction score
Pretty interesting stuff, here are footnotes:

-Talks about how really close DQ and Will McClay are and how Quinn is super into rolling up his sleeves and hitting the road with scouts to see players up close and personal.

-DQ has taken a large role in involving himself with making sure he conveys and studies the exact guys he wants on his defense. Phrase Broaddus used was “taking ownership over his defense”.

-Kellen was (likely due to his youth) more passive about the scouting and pining for players. More “give me the guys you think we need and I’ll coach them” than “I need this guy”.

*Personal opinion* both philosophies can be right and both can be wrong depending on who’s the guy doing the coaching. I do personally think Moore seemed to force his philosophy on whomever was on the roster with Quinn seeming to have roles carved out to take advantage of guy’s strengths.

Now that could be because of their philosophies in the draft or it could be due to the experience gap. Interesting regardless.

Starts at approximately the 2:40 mark:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
My only concern with Quinn being involved in the draft process is Atlanta didn't do a great job drafting while he was the head coach there. As long as his input is tempered by the scouting department, though, I don't have a problem with it. But we don't need McClay buddying up to him to the point where, for example, he might recommend taking a DT in the first round over a G because of the relationship. We need the scouts to be objective.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
My only concern with Quinn being involved in the draft process is Atlanta didn't do a great job drafting while he was the head coach there. As long as his input is tempered by the scouting department, though, I don't have a problem with it. But we don't need McClay buddying up to him to the point where, for example, he might recommend taking a DT in the first round over a G because of the relationship. We need the scouts to be objective.
I don't think they let him have input in the Draft in Atlanta, much like GB let McC have zero input in their Drafts.

CapnB

Reaction score
KM must be doing something right, he keeps getting interviews to be a HC. Hot name for a while. But im glad hes gone, time for a new O to come in

Reactions: JPM

Macnalty

Reaction score
I love DQ but this offense is anemic since the second half of last year, a nice pickup with the WR from Houston, hope that works. This team advances if the offense gets rolling, but that is going to take a passing game that deserves respect from opposing defenses. All of our Division opponents are stacked on the DL and frankly, we are not that strong with our Oline, TSmith in his second year needs to make a big jump in order for some continuity to happen. Who is our LG? Do not get confused, Philly, NY, and Washington are going to amp up against our OLine. Probably the Rookie defensive player of the year drafted by the Eagles. We got Luke a jack-of-all-trades TE. Training camp is going to be very telling. I am still smiling that we were able to draft Deuce.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

-Talks about how really close DQ and Will McClay are and how Quinn is super into rolling up his sleeves and hitting the road with scouts to see players up close and personal.

-DQ has taken a large role in involving himself with making sure he conveys and studies the exact guys he wants on his defense. Phrase Broaddus used was “taking ownership over his defense”.

-Kellen was (likely due to his youth) more passive about the scouting and pining for players. More “give me the guys you think we need and I’ll coach them” than “I need this guy”.

*Personal opinion* both philosophies can be right and both can be wrong depending on who’s the guy doing the coaching. I do personally think Moore seemed to force his philosophy on whomever was on the roster with Quinn seeming to have roles carved out to take advantage of guy’s strengths.

Now that could be because of their philosophies in the draft or it could be due to the experience gap. Interesting regardless.

Thanks for sharing.
Very informative.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Quinn is a leader of men. There are all sorts of styles and methods but the underlying truth of why you’re a good leader or not is if your men believe in you 100% and will follow you anywhere.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This is good stuff. Appreicate it!

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Great info but I’ll be honest..thought Quinn had a little too much sway this last weekend. “Quinn is in the room” was a common phrase like he was holding court. I think this team just runs things weirdly at times. He’s a great coordinator but could be his own worst enemy as HC so let’s not treat him as such.

Knotamus

Reaction score
This is why players love Quinn. They get to know him, he gets his hands dirty and is hitting bags and running drills. I hear a ton of praise for Quinn from former players
Exactly. He forms relationships with the young men he’s coaching up. I personally believe thats the most underrated skill in any employment.

People will run through walls if they trust and believe in you.

“An army of sheep led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by a sheep”
Alexander the Great

Havic

Reaction score
Great info but I’ll be honest..thought Quinn had a little too much sway this last weekend. “Quinn is in the room” was a common phrase like he was holding court. I think this team just runs things weirdly at times. He’s a great coordinator but could be his own worst enemy as HC so let’s not treat him as such.
I agree. We shouldn't be taking Quinn's side. McClay and staff spent the whole year scouting and putting the board together. Quinn does get his hands dirty but its no where near the amount of McClay's team and while we should value Quinn's input, it shouldn't be the overriding factor.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
KM must be doing something right, he keeps getting interviews to be a HC. Hot name for a while. But im glad hes gone, time for a new O to come in
He’s out one of the top offenses in the NFL on the field consistently. I’m not a fan and I’m glad they parted ways, but hs definitely a respected coach.