Video: Broaddus on Relationship Between Dan Quinn/Will McClay/Kellen Moore

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Dan Quinn being in charge of the draft is definitely not a good thing. In Atlanta, he drafted literally nothing but Quinn defense prototypes, and his track record was trash.

I looked it up... below are the first two defenders he drafted each year in Atlanta.

What strikes me is that out of these 10 guys listed, only half even finished their rookie contract with the team (assuming that Terrell is a mortal lock to). The only guy who got a big second contract from anyone was Deion Jones.

2020:
AJ Terrell. Quinn's long CB prototype. Really damn good young corner who should earn a huge payday soon.
Marlon Davidson. Classic Quinn DE/3T tweener. Got cut after year 2.

2019:
Didn't pick a defender until the 4th. He got a long CB and a speed rusher, neither worked out, but they're 4th rounders so whatever.

2018:
Isiah Oliver. Long CB. Didn't do anything on his rookie deal, signed a 1 year prove-it that went better, and then moved on to the Niners.
Deadrin Senat. Quinn 1T stuffer type. JAG and released after year 3.

2017:
Takk McKinley. Undersized speed rusher. Busted and got waived halfway through year 4.
Duke Riley. Undersized coverage LB. Injured and busted. Atlanta traded him cheap at the start of year 3.

2016:
Keanu Neal. Safety-backer who always struggled with injuries, but was a good player when healthy. Played 5 years in Atlanta and Quinn wanted him back in Big D.
Deion Jones. Was the linchpin of Quinn's defense. Signed a huge second contract. His play fell off, but he was a stud for a couple years.

2015:
Vic Beasley. Top 10 bust, and I will never know how. One of the cleanest college DE projections I can remember seeing. Had one huge year and that was it.
Jalen Collins. Long 6'1" CB. Out of the league after 2 years.

Tommy

Reaction score
This is why players love Quinn. They get to know him, he gets his hands dirty and is hitting bags and running drills. I hear a ton of praise for Quinn from former players
And when players praise a coach you don’t like you can say the coach is getting too comfortable with his players. You can make anything mean whatever you want around here.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
True, but if true, it shows KM's lack of cajones. Hey, you were the O-Coordinator for several years. You should have had a huge input in which type of players you would have liked for your system. If you didn't speak up because of your young age and lack of experience at the position, that falls squarely on you and shows you weren't ready to be an O-Coordinator.
Nobody is saying he didn't speak up. I would imagine he did, but I would also imagine that Dan Quinn was much more vocal and influential just based on having 10x the amount of experience as a coach. You got a 30-year-old baby-faced OC doing it for the first time, and a guy that has a SB ring as a defensive coordinator in what might be the most dominant defensive performance in SB history. The circumstances are different.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DQ overall seems to have a strong footprint with the org. Not surprising and it’s a very good thing. I can clearly see how the team got better with the things he oversees.

Just trying to keep track. So we’re good with listening to Broaddus again, cool!

Say good things about DQ and Dak, and bad things about Kellen, he’s golden. Criticize the QB, or cite his previous experience working as a personnel guy, he’s trash. I think I’m caught up.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I love Quinn and I think he's been one of the best hires in Dallas in a LONG time. While I'm sure he has the power to have some input on the defensive players drafted, I'm sure he isn't running the show as much as some posters here would suggest.

I am excited to see this defense take the next step with the injection of talent from this draft though. Seriously, this could be a damn good defense.

Macnalty

Reaction score
Elliott was a big reason the offense was anemic. If they stopped giving the ball to Elliott, I'm sure they would have scored 50 ppg in the last half of the season instead of only about 40 ppg.
I never got that feeling, great another trait I am losing in my advancing years, I do agree Zeke was a shell of his first couple of years of talent.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Pretty interesting stuff, here are footnotes:

-Talks about how really close DQ and Will McClay are and how Quinn is super into rolling up his sleeves and hitting the road with scouts to see players up close and personal.

-DQ has taken a large role in involving himself with making sure he conveys and studies the exact guys he wants on his defense. Phrase Broaddus used was “taking ownership over his defense”.

-Kellen was (likely due to his youth) more passive about the scouting and pining for players. More “give me the guys you think we need and I’ll coach them” than “I need this guy”.

*Personal opinion* both philosophies can be right and both can be wrong depending on who’s the guy doing the coaching. I do personally think Moore seemed to force his philosophy on whomever was on the roster with Quinn seeming to have roles carved out to take advantage of guy’s strengths.

Now that could be because of their philosophies in the draft or it could be due to the experience gap. Interesting regardless.

Starts at approximately the 2:40 mark:

Quinns philosophy is the best especially when you have a college coaching and coordinator background. Kellen Moore had neither. That is why Kellen Moore had/has nothing to contribute to the scouting personnel evaluation process (see Jason Garrett rely on Tom Ciscowski and then McClay).

I think Jerry Dumbo GM Jones trust Quinn enough to stay out of the meddling way.